Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Discuss anything you want.
Jinnistan

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:45 pm

DaMU wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:28 pm
Has there been a horror series with better quality control than the Evil Dead franchise? It's gone through four distinct phases (five, if you count the decent video games), and each iteration is good on its own specific terms.
Other than the remake, which I thought was sorely lacking in both "creative gore" (quite derivative actually) and the energy of Raimi's signature that ran throughout AvED, I would agree with this.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:04 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:45 pm
Other than the remake, which I thought was sorely lacking in both "creative gore" (quite derivative actually) and the energy of Raimi's signature that ran throughout AvED, I would agree with this.
Fair point on the remake. I thought it was better than the average horror remake, but that's not a high bar to clear, and you're right that the gore spectacle and style didn't evoke (or at least match in its own way) Raimi's ingenuity.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:22 am

I liked, but did not love, the Evil Dead remake. At this point I have reviews for most if not all horror films that get discussed more than once online, so hurray for that, I guess.
This Is My Blog. There Are Many Like It But This One Is Mine
Shitty Film Thread
Follow Me On Twitter If You Aren't Doing So Already
The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:38 am

The best way to describe the Evil Dead remake is well-intentioned, but struggles to execute what it's trying to accomplish.

It's probably a better than average remake/reboot of a horror franchise, but that and $5 will get you a cup of coffee in most places.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:33 am

I liked the remake but found it too slick. The rough edges of the original are a large part of what gives it character. Alvarez gets closer to that sense of texture with Don't Breathe.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:36 pm

Stu

Post by Stu » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:47 pm

Sweet; now, if only they'd get around to uploading the actual play...
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:01 am

Weaver showing up to see the kids was cool.
Shitty Film Thread
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:35 pm

Rock wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:33 am
I liked the remake but found it too slick. The rough edges of the original are a large part of what gives it character. Alvarez gets closer to that sense of texture with Don't Breathe.
I just didn't think it was much fun.
Stu

Post by Stu » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:49 am

Stu wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:47 pm
Sweet; now, if only they'd get around to uploading the actual play...
Well, speak of the devil...

Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Fri May 03, 2019 1:28 pm

I'm in
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Fri May 03, 2019 2:26 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:28 pm

I'm in

I'd rather just rewatch Lake Placid.
Ain't no grave gonna hold this body down
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat May 04, 2019 3:42 am

I'm not the biggest fan of actor Andrew Prine. He tends to be stiff and humorless and generally has unearned airs like he sincerely can't quite understand why he's not in better movies. Which is also precisely why this is the perfect Andrew Prine film, factory-sealed to conform to every contour of this walking monkeycunt. Pretentious and cheap are the hallmarks of his talents. The film, itself, is actually quite funny, a kind of deadpan send-up of various flavors of hippie woo which also inexplicably decides to rip-off Midnight Cowboy in the second act. I'm not convinced that Prine was in on the joke, though, maybe because he's still as self-indulgently shrill as he was in Hannah, Queen of the Vampires or Nightmare Circus. Or maybe I just prefer to think that his angry wizard here, full of delusions of grandeur and spiteful camp, is some truly magus-level method chess. Anyway, Prine's awful, the movie is not terrible, and if you get bored you can always imagine the remake with John Krasinski and Jesse Plemons.
Melvin Butterworth

Post by Melvin Butterworth » Sat May 04, 2019 3:54 am

So, is Hereditary actually worth a watch?
Stu

Post by Stu » Sat May 04, 2019 4:00 am

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:54 am
Not in the sense that I personally felt it was a good, worthwhile movie that I would recommend in general, but it is worth watching in the sense that it's an interesting misfire to witness, and worth studying for the unfulfilled potential it displays from someone who is a somewhat promising new director, and who hopefully delivers better material in the future.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sat May 04, 2019 8:44 am

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:54 am
I think so.
Shitty Film Thread
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Sat May 04, 2019 8:46 am

Also anyone else viewing Joe Bob Briggs' current show? I have seen most of his picks yet I am enjoying his commentary. Shudder is a cool service, although I wonder how long that will last.
Shitty Film Thread
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue May 07, 2019 3:35 pm

I enjoyed Dead & Buried (1981) more than I expected considering its mediocre IMDB score and Tomatometer. It's a strong entry in the sub-genre of "idyllic town that's not quite so idyllic" that's not exclusive to horror and which includes movies like Black Death and Hot Fuzz. It builds a very satisfying mystery about just what is up with Potter's Cove and it does a good job and throwing in red herrings at the right times. It's also nice to see performers who were just starting out like Robert Englund, Glenn Morshower and the lovely Melody Anderson, but I wasn't crazy about James Farentino as the lead, especially when he, well...went crazy after finding out what is going on in his hometown. It was a pivotal moment where he's apparently supposed to react in the same way the audience does, but he just made me laugh. When it comes down to it, though, what were the lessons?
That what's dead should stay dead and that you should respect your elders and/or respect those who have jobs that seem thankless and/or unpleasant, i.e. the mortician played by Jack Albertson, I guess.
Last Great Movie Seen
Nostalghia (Tarkovsky, 1983)
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Tue May 07, 2019 3:37 pm

Torgo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:35 pm
I enjoyed Dead & Buried (1981) more than I expected considering its mediocre IMDB score and Tomatometer. It's a strong entry in the sub-genre of "idyllic town that's not quite so idyllic" that's not exclusive to horror and which includes movies like Black Death and Hot Fuzz. It builds a very satisfying mystery about just what is up with Potter's Cove and it does a good job and throwing in red herrings at the right times. It's also nice to see performers who were just starting out like Robert Englund, Glenn Morshower and the lovely Melody Anderson, but I wasn't crazy about James Farentino as the lead, especially when he, well...went crazy after finding out what is going on in his hometown. It was a pivotal moment where he's apparently supposed to react in the same way the audience does, but he just made me laugh. When it comes down to it, though, what were the lessons?
That what's dead should stay dead and that you should respect your elders and/or respect those who have jobs that seem thankless and/or unpleasant, i.e. the mortician played by Jack Albertson, I guess.
Guillermo Del Toro loves that movie.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue May 07, 2019 4:53 pm

Slentert wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:37 pm
Guillermo Del Toro loves that movie.
It seems like a movie'd he'd love.
Now that I think about it, Dr. Casares from The Devil's Backbone could have been inspired by the mortician.
Last Great Movie Seen
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Tue May 07, 2019 5:47 pm

Dead and Buried is a minor classic. Never trust critical consensus on pulpy horror films like this. Critics don't get it. They suck.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue May 07, 2019 7:05 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:47 pm
Dead and Buried is a minor classic. Never trust critical consensus on pulpy horror films like this. Critics don't get it. They suck.
Lesson learned.
I listened to a podcast, Junkfood Cinema, about this movie that mentions that
it's really about taking a jab at the Republican party for wanting the U.S. to resemble what it was like during the '50s. I can't believe I missed that.
Last Great Movie Seen
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed May 08, 2019 2:45 pm

Torgo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:35 pm
One of my favorite not-famous horror movies.
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Wed May 08, 2019 6:00 pm

Yeah Dead & Buried is a good, solid horror flick. I can't remember if I saw it on Netflix or if I rented it from somewhere else. I lost my old viewing logs when Icine went down years back.
Shitty Film Thread
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue May 14, 2019 2:36 pm

I'm probably the last person on this forum who has seen Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the 1978 version), but I'll sing its praises anyway. It masterfully exploits the fear of waking up to the person you love the most behaving in a completely different manner as well as the fear of having your lifestyle taken away from you without ever coming across as convoluted and/or two movies in one. It's set in the most liberal city in the U.S. at a time when Carter's approval rating was on the decline, and while that setting is not far removed from the one in today's America, it expertly presents these fears in a way that's abstract enough to apply to any situation. You also have to give credit to the special effect department and the production designers for making the body snatchers seem ordinary at first and as gross and alien as you can possibly imagine as the movie progresses (I'm also glad to finally understand the zucchini throw pillow joke in the parody of this movie from MST3K episode The Giant Spider Invasion). All of this and the most frightening ending to a movie I can remember make it the best movie I've seen so far this year.
Last Great Movie Seen
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu May 16, 2019 2:39 pm

Torgo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:36 pm
I'm probably the last person on this forum who has seen Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the 1978 version), but I'll sing its praises anyway. It masterfully exploits the fear of waking up to the person you love the most behaving in a completely different manner as well as the fear of having your lifestyle taken away from you without ever coming across as convoluted and/or two movies in one. It's set in the most liberal city in the U.S. at a time when Carter's approval rating was on the decline, and while that setting is not far removed from the one in today's America, it expertly presents these fears in a way that's abstract enough to apply to any situation. You also have to give credit to the special effect department and the production designers for making the body snatchers seem ordinary at first and as gross and alien as you can possibly imagine as the movie progresses (I'm also glad to finally understand the zucchini throw pillow joke in the parody of this movie from MST3K episode The Giant Spider Invasion). All of this and the most frightening ending to a movie I can remember make it the best movie I've seen so far this year.
:up:
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Thu May 16, 2019 3:28 pm

While I still prefer the '56 film by a bit, I love both films quite a lot.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu May 16, 2019 4:46 pm

It's a push for me between the '56 and '78 versions, both of which are excellent (the other two are good-intentioned misfires to me). The '56 is probably my favorite through a combination of nostalgia and admiration for its film noir approach to the material, while the '78 has that fabulous naturalistic approach but gets a little long in the plantation chases at the end. Wish I could've been surprised/horrified by the '78 ending, but it became so culturally accessible and meme-able (sic) that, for me, it's sort of like those movie endings where the camera's slowly tracking toward the felled villain and you're waiting for his eyes to open.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu May 16, 2019 5:46 pm

DaMU wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:46 pm
It's a push for me between the '56 and '78 versions, both of which are excellent (the other two are good-intentioned misfires to me). The '56 is probably my favorite through a combination of nostalgia and admiration for its film noir approach to the material, while the '78 has that fabulous naturalistic approach but gets a little long in the plantation chases at the end. Wish I could've been surprised/horrified by the '78 ending, but it became so culturally accessible and meme-able (sic) that, for me, it's sort of like those movie endings where the camera's slowly tracking toward the felled villain and you're waiting for his eyes to open.
I somehow managed to avoid the ending and references to it before watching, so I had
hope that Bennell survived. However, my shock eventually turned into admiring his sacrifice even though it ended up being a hollow one.
On another note, how strange is it to see Leonard Nimoy acting with emotions? Even though he was the skeptic, "logical" friend, I still felt that he was out of character even though he wasn't playing Spock.

Oh, and here's the pinnacle of the kind of ending you describe:

Last Great Movie Seen
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu May 16, 2019 7:49 pm

None better. But along those lines:

NOTE:
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu May 16, 2019 11:32 pm

DaMU wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:46 pm
(the other two are good-intentioned misfires to me)
I'm much less forgiving of the 2007 version.

Haha. Looks like that one was scripted by the guy who did the Suspiria remake.

Relevant to this thread, I thought that said Suspiria remake was terrific for about 2 hours, but the ending was a bed-shart of ravioli-enema proportion.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri May 17, 2019 3:19 pm

Got through the first 20 minutes of Castle Freak last night before sleep overtook, was kinda vibing with it. Doesn't have the same control of craft of the first two Gordon HPL's, but does have some of the same dramatic economy.
NOTE:
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon May 20, 2019 3:31 am

DaMU wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:19 pm
Got through the first 20 minutes of Castle Freak last night before sleep overtook, was kinda vibing with it. Doesn't have the same control of craft of the first two Gordon HPL's, but does have some of the same dramatic economy.
I was very impressed by it, given that I had pretty low expectations.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon May 20, 2019 3:33 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:31 am
I was very impressed by it, given that I had pretty low expectations.
Yeah, I'm coming out of it surprised by its quality. It's not Re-Animator good, but I think it measures up to other Gordon/Paolis like "Dreams in the Witch-House" and Dagon and might even be a touch better due to the commitment to Combs' character arc. In general, Combs and Crampton convince as a fraying couple.

What I didn't like...
was the severity of the violence inflicted on the prostitute, and how much of it we see. It feels like an effort to match the taboo-busting sexual violence of Re-Animator and, to a lesser extent, the BDSM excess of From Beyond, but all the lingering shots of her torn breast just felt depressing instead of shocking. Depressing that this is what a character suffered, depressing that the actress was used mostly to get to that extreme.
Still, thumb is up.
NOTE:
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon May 20, 2019 4:56 pm

DaMU wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:33 pm
Yeah, I'm coming out of it surprised by its quality. It's not Re-Animator good, but I think it measures up to other Gordon/Paolis like "Dreams in the Witch-House" and Dagon and might even be a touch better due to the commitment to Combs' character arc. In general, Combs and Crampton convince as a fraying couple.

What I didn't like...
was the severity of the violence inflicted on the prostitute, and how much of it we see. It feels like an effort to match the taboo-busting sexual violence of Re-Animator and, to a lesser extent, the BDSM excess of From Beyond, but all the lingering shots of her torn breast just felt depressing instead of shocking. Depressing that this is what a character suffered, depressing that the actress was used mostly to get to that extreme.
Still, thumb is up.
I mostly agree with you, it was ugly, but I also did feel it gave the movie the ugliness it was looking for.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon May 20, 2019 6:42 pm

On that note:

1. Re-Animator
2. From Beyond
3. Castle Freak
4. "Dreams in the Witch House"
5. Dagon

Without disliking really any of 'em (Dagon is mediocre but worth it overall for its peaks).
NOTE:
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon May 20, 2019 6:44 pm

Another :up: for Castle Freak from me.
I recommend listening to the recent episode of the Flop House podcast about the movie. Joe Bob Briggs is a guest.
Last Great Movie Seen
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Thu May 23, 2019 3:04 am

Rock

Post by Rock » Thu May 23, 2019 5:03 am

Can't wait for that one and The Lighthouse.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
MadMan

Post by MadMan » Thu May 23, 2019 7:35 am

Yep Castle Freak is a good one.
Shitty Film Thread
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Wed May 29, 2019 3:38 pm

Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Thu May 30, 2019 4:12 pm

Still the hottest D.P. :up:
Death Proof

Post by Death Proof » Thu May 30, 2019 4:54 pm

Rumpled wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 4:12 pm

Still the hottest D.P. :up:

Oh, I love Rachel True. Still looks dynamite.
Ain't no grave gonna hold this body down
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri May 31, 2019 12:52 am

A couple of indie parahorror films, I think they make an interesting contrast in their camerawork and different approaches to handheld technique.

8.5/10

This film is in a similar style as the recent indies from Carruth and Seimetz (also very indebted to someone like Villenueve), the structure is much focused on the more esoteric, psychologically insular perspective, and the steadycam work, as well as its eliptical editing, is dedicated to replicating this state. Like those other filmmakers, there's a heavy Malick influence in how what can be called its psychological ambience is framed in tandem with surrounding natural effluence, spackled together with waves of post-rock atmospherics. In general, this makes for a more sensual, introspective film whose plot envelops deceptively between fantasy and reality.

The rudimentary set up involves a seemingly infantile woman (Sarah Hagan) looked after by a mysterious caretaker (Barbara Crampton), introduced with some seriously sinister overtones and suggestions of a violent past. Stick with it as the elements of psychological thriller escalate, and its inner horror film explodes in the third act.

8/10

Here, the handheld work is much more cliched in what we expect of a modern indie. The standard mode is to communicate nervous tension between characters, being a much more social, ensemble presentation. Hard cuts to black, quick reaction cutaways, meandering framing, this is much more predictable, less evocative filmmaking.

Fortunately, the script is anything but predictable or meandering, and the brilliant premise, which is more sci-fi thriller than horror but intense enough, more than suffices to make this a compelling and fascinating watch. Obvious spoilers involved (fans of Primer take note), and even a simple set-up will not do the eventual experience justice, so just watch it. I will say that one of the film's most accomplished coups is how it designs a failsafe explanation to excuse its refusal to try to catch most of the balls that it throws up in the air.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:18 am

Did anyone play Scissors for the Drifter and catch the series premiere of N0S4A2 tonight? It’s weird and a little different from the book and not all that great but it was entertaining enough to keep me watching for at least a few more episodes.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:51 pm

Halloween (2018) - 3/10

Danny McBride, this script was straight garbage.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:40 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:51 pm
Halloween (2018) - 3/10

Danny McBride, this script was straight garbage.
I didn't dislike it as much as you did, but I would agree that this movie's shortcomings were all in the script.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:49 pm

Wooley wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:40 pm
I didn't dislike it as much as you did, but I would agree that this movie's shortcomings were all in the script.
Theere are a couple of visual ideas that are interesting, but nothing to suggest that the problem isn't anything different than what's plauged every single other sequel so far.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:49 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:52 am
A couple of indie parahorror films, I think they make an interesting contrast in their camerawork and different approaches to handheld technique.

8.5/10

This film is in a similar style as the recent indies from Carruth and Seimetz (also very indebted to someone like Villenueve), the structure is much focused on the more esoteric, psychologically insular perspective, and the steadycam work, as well as its eliptical editing, is dedicated to replicating this state. Like those other filmmakers, there's a heavy Malick influence in how what can be called its psychological ambience is framed in tandem with surrounding natural effluence, spackled together with waves of post-rock atmospherics. In general, this makes for a more sensual, introspective film whose plot envelops deceptively between fantasy and reality.

The rudimentary set up involves a seemingly infantile woman (Sarah Hagan) looked after by a mysterious caretaker (Barbara Crampton), introduced with some seriously sinister overtones and suggestions of a violent past. Stick with it as the elements of psychological thriller escalate, and its inner horror film explodes in the third act.
I thought I'd really like this one, but was ultimately pretty "eh" on it. Performances are great, and there's potential to develop into horror that looks at the damage that women can inflict on each other (without needing male romantic or paternal influence in the mix). Sarah Hagan does a great job at portraying someone who is clearly really messed up, and for a while it's effective as you ponder whether her being so disturbed is something that needs to be controlled, or if it's a product of the "treatment" (ie torture) she's been receiving for most of her life.

But I agree with this section of an AVClub review: "Eventually, the movie moves in a more overtly violent direction, becoming more of a straight-up horror film—and unconvincingly so. Cresciman tries his hardest to avoid explaining too much: about what’s really wrong with Janie, about her well-to-do upbringing, about why Irma’s so intent on controlling her, or about what Savannah’s life was like before Janie started interfering in it. Sun Choke mainly traffics in archetypes. Cresciman explores the broader dynamics of doctor and patient and predator and prey, and ultimately leaves too many gaps in his movie to tell a full story."

Also, movies that abuse or harm animals for real pretty much always land on my crap list.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:58 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:49 pm
But I agree with this section of an AVClub review: "Eventually, the movie moves in a more overtly violent direction, becoming more of a straight-up horror film—and unconvincingly so. Cresciman tries his hardest to avoid explaining too much: about what’s really wrong with Janie, about her well-to-do upbringing, about why Irma’s so intent on controlling her, or about what Savannah’s life was like before Janie started interfering in it. Sun Choke mainly traffics in archetypes. Cresciman explores the broader dynamics of doctor and patient and predator and prey, and ultimately leaves too many gaps in his movie to tell a full story."
I think that this is a fair issue with the film. I'm also disappointed in the lack of background information that we receive about her upbringing, and fleshing out what we only see in fleeting flashback images. I don't have as much issue with the archetypical issues. I think that there's considerable interest between the doppleganger link between the two young women. But this too is stymied by a lack of further background information.
Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:49 pm
Also, movies that abuse or harm animals for real pretty much always land on my crap list.
I'm sorry, or else I would have mentioned it. I suppose that the issue is with the bird embryo?