The Television Thread

Discuss anything you want.
Takoma1

Re: The Television Thread

Post by Takoma1 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:25 am

I might need to give Ash vs. The Evil Dead another shot. I made it like 10 minutes into the first episode and was not feeling it.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:45 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:49 am
Yeah but Dario and his brother directed an episode of s3 so RT loyalty demands I recognize it as the best.
Oh, damn! Nice, excellent for him. Still have my "Play Dead" gifts for donating.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:58 am

DaMU wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:45 am
Oh, damn! Nice, excellent for him. Still have my "Play Dead" gifts for donating.
I wish he still posted here. He was always so great to share my work with. Informative, encouraging and knowledgeable due to all that talent. Figures he'd be the one making Ash vs. Evil Dead episodes. I think it's ep. 6 by the "Meza Brothers."
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:56 pm

Looks like they directed episode 3 (Apparently Dead). Dario is vaguely familiar to me, but still, it's very cool that they got that opportunity.
I agree that there's a dip in quality in that season. It's sort of like a greatest hits version of episodes 1 and 2: while it takes things that worked in those seasons, the ultimate payoff is not as satisfying. Still, it's a satisfying watch on the whole.
Last Great Movie Seen
From Beyond (Gordon, 1995)
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:43 pm

I noticed the drop in quality as well but put it down to the show simply running out of steam. But now that you point it out the difference is noticeable. That's too bad. It wouldn't (and shouldn't) have survived without Campbell anyway but I wonder if his decision to pull the plug had anything to do with the changes.
My heart is still and awaits its hour.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:14 am

DaMU wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:40 am
Season 3 of Ash vs. Evil Dead feels a step below the prior two seasons. I don't want to take the easy out and say it's because they switched showrunners, but, um, they did switch showrunners from Craig DiGregorio (Chuck, Reaper, Workaholics) to Mark Verheiden (Daredevil, Constantine, Hemlock Grove), and you can feel the dramatic shift from the lunatic black comedy to the slightly more po-faced approach, with more boilerplate dialogue, chosen-one nonsense, and forced character choices - in one of the most recent episodes, lead characters continually abandon a newbie to the team with a minimum of explanation or effort to keep the new recruit safe on their own. It's very odd.

That's not to slam the show completely, nor is it to say the show is straight-up no-chaser serious now; someone's knee grows a mouth and starts talking back, an infant puppeteers a corpse from inside like it's a controlling a Jaeger from Pacific Rim. A slimy mutant fusion of three people (in various states of dismemberment) delights with its repulsive whimsy. There's still stuff to like. Just a little less.
Finished, the show ends in a big way (what with your demon apocalypses and whatall), but it feels a bit smaller, probably in part because I don't think this was intended as the end of the series proper (a tag at the end tries to align it with other endings in the series but doesn't really work). And also for the reasons mentioned above.

On the bright side, the show never felt like a waste of time, it often retained the spirit of the saga (esp. Evil Dead II, the generally agreed-upon peak), came up with some fun new ideas (the limbo world), reworked some old ones with fresh twists (the returns to the cabin, yet another Evil Ash), and new Evil Dead characters Pablo (Ray Santiago) and Kelly (Dana DeLorenzo) become essential parts of the story instead of Poochie-style studio-enforced supporters. I even felt affection for Brandy (Arielle Carver-O'Neill.)

Even though it ends on an underwhelming note, the series mostly escapes with its integrity intact, with a lot of fun to be had, with a few moments that stand toe-to-toe with the very best of the series. I stand by my original theory that the Evil Dead saga is the most consistently entertaining horror "franchise" of all time.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:14 am

Now, back onto my O.G. Twilight Zone bullshit.
NOTE:
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:18 am

Letterkenny is the kind of silly I've been looking for in a TV show.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:37 pm

Love, Death & Robots - 8/10 - A Netflix anthology series where just about every episode is worth checking out. And with run times of from six minutes to no longer than seventeen minutes you don't get a chance to get antsy. Some of the animation is mind blowing with stuff like "Lucky 13" blurring the line between live action and CGI. I can also recommend "Sonnie's Edge", "The Witness" and "Helping Hand".
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:15 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:37 pm
Love, Death & Robots - 8/10 - A Netflix anthology series where just about every episode is worth checking out. And with run times of from six minutes to no longer than seventeen minutes you don't get a chance to get antsy. Some of the animation is mind blowing with stuff like "Lucky 13" blurring the line between live action and CGI. I can also recommend "Sonnie's Edge", "The Witness" and "Helping Hand".
Yeah it’s a real solid show. I think it got picked up for a S2.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:23 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:15 pm
Yeah it’s a real solid show. I think it got picked up for a S2.
It did get renewed. I wonder how long it takes to turn out a season's worth of these kinds of episodes? I would think it's an involved process. But then maybe they'll just use preexisting ones that didn't make the cut for season one. Either way I'll be looking out for it.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:33 pm

Stranger Things season 3 - I liked this more than season 2 but not as much as season 1. It starts out slow with way too much boy/girl teenage drama but after the third episode it really gets going and doesn't take it's foot off the gas till the end. The new characters are interesting with Maya Hawke turning in a great performance as Robin and peripheral characters are given a bigger role like Brett Gelman's Murray Bauman. I still don't get the overriding resentment towards Hopper though. Grade B+
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:26 pm

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:23 pm
It did get renewed. I wonder how long it takes to turn out a season's worth of these kinds of episodes? I would think it's an involved process. But then maybe they'll just use preexisting ones that didn't make the cut for season one. Either way I'll be looking out for it.
Maybe. I get the feeling each short is made by a completely different group of people so if they’re all working simultaneously it’ll probably be the normal length for a new season of TV.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:36 pm

Man, Stranger Things kinda jumped the shark this season, didn't it? Or went of the rails. Or just lost its way. Or something.
Really just a lot of goofiness that's atonal to the first two seasons.
They've almost ruined Hopper, which is a shame, turning him into this sort of buffoon when he was really kind of a hero in the previous seasons. Steve is kinda ruined, just totally ineffectual at everything and wearing his sailor-suit the whole show. Erica is just totally over-the-top. They've really gone for more of a comedy approach and it just feels... silly.
Kind of a bummer.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:56 pm

Thief wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:50 pm
Some thoughts on recent shows I've seen...

Took me a while to catch up with Chernobyl's last episode, but it was as good as everything that came before. A great show with great direction, dialogue, and performances (kudos to Stellan Skarsgard, who was possibly my favorite from the bunch).

I've already mentioned how I was warming up to Jack Ryan, after what I thought was a pretty bad first episode. Finally finished it last week and although I wouldn't say it was perfect, I really thought it was pretty solid. There was one episode in particular that really had me on the edge at one point. Really good direction and tense-buildup. Also, there was a puzzling side-plot that was connected to the main plot very, very weakly. I ultimately liked the way it ended up, but it still felt pretty awkward in how separate from the main plot it was. Anyway, solid, entertaining show.

I also finished Agent Carter's first season and thought it was pretty good. As someone who really liked Carter's character and Hayley Atwell's performance in the first Captain America, I really enjoyed the way the show handled its premise. The retro 40's look was cool, the chemistry with James D'Arcy was great, and Shea Whigham remains one of my favorite character actors. Very fun, entertaining show.

On the other hand, I've continued with Agents of SHIELD's second season and it has been pretty mediocre. Not that the first season was great, but I really think they ended up in a great stretch with the Captain America: Winter Soldier tie-in. Second season hasn't been as good so far. Sometimes it feels like it spins its wheels too much, but it might also be the fact that I don't like the character of Skye (or whatsherface performance). The other thing I really liked about season 1 was the interaction and chemistry between Fitz & Simmons, but since they've broken that up, I don't have that either. I just hope the payoff with them is worth it. As for the rest, I still like Coulson, but I really don't care about the new characters (Bobbi, Hunter, Mack). I'll probably go on, but it's on my low priority.
Agent's of SHIELD gets better after while. I'm not sure it's doing so great now, but it finds its feet sometime late in Season 2 I think.
I also liked Agent Carter a lot but S2 was not so good.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:34 am

I thought this was by far the best season of Stranger Things.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:41 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:34 am
I've only seen the first season, but I'm kind of fascinated by the incredibly different reactions to this third season. Seems very love or hate.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:42 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:41 am
I've only seen the first season, but I'm kind of fascinated by the incredibly different reactions to this third season. Seems very love or hate.
It's the only season that seems to rise above a series of obvious homage and kitsch nostalgia. It leans heavily into the strengths of its cast and finally has enough of a budget to pull off its monster without relying on strobing lights or other cheap effects to masque their shortcomings.

S2 was messier than s1 but overall felt a step in the right direction.

S3 is what the show should be.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:04 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:34 am
:shock:
I would say it is the most Goonies-like. But I haven't talked to any of my friends who watch the show that aren't seriously disappointed, for all the reasons I listed and more. Different strokes, I suppose.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:06 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:42 am
It's the only season that seems to rise above a series of obvious homage and kitsch nostalgia. It leans heavily into the strengths of its cast
Amusingly, the exactly complaints my buddy, Mike, levied on the show last night were that this was the most nostalgia-winking seasons yet, seeming to rely on that aspect so heavily as to be distracting, while also acting the cast to kinda betray their characters as they had been set up in the first two seasons.
We have different eyes on this one, MKS.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:07 am

Wooley wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:06 am
Amusingly, the exactly complaints my buddy, Mike, levied on the show last night were that this was the most nostalgia-winking seasons yet, seeming to rely on that aspect so heavily as to be distracting, while also acting the cast to kinda betray their characters as they had been set up in the first two seasons.
S1 is what the show should be.
Thief

Post by Thief » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:00 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:56 pm
Agent's of SHIELD gets better after while. I'm not sure it's doing so great now, but it finds its feet sometime late in Season 2 I think.
I also liked Agent Carter a lot but S2 was not so good.
We'll see. I got both on hold right now. I'm trying to follow the MCU timeline, so I started Daredevil a couple of days ago. Just saw the first episode, which was pretty good, but haven't seen more.

Re: Stranger Things, I've only seen the first episode of Season 3, but I liked it.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:55 pm

Wooley wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:56 pm
Agent's of SHIELD gets better after while.
What did you think of the Ghost Rider stuff? I was ok with it for the most part. At this point I'm thankful for any GR material that approaches any level of quality.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:09 pm

There's a book about the making of Deadwood that has a crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter. Here's the link.
If you can't afford to give them a few bucks, let your social media friends know. They have to raise $40,000 in a week for the campaign to succeed.
Last Great Movie Seen
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:48 pm

I'll throw in my 2 cents. I LOVE Stranger Things. Even if you set it in modern times those characters and that world is strong enough to stand without all the silly 80s references. I enjoyed all three seasons to varying degrees. 1 is still my favorite. With this most recent season I felt the writing was actually pretty terrible and relied way too heavily on all the characters bickering with each other. The first couple episodes were the worst but it got better from there. And it's the first time 80s references actually bugged me. Kind of a minor spoiler I guess but there's a part where the show stops for a second and you literally just watch the last couple minutes of Back to the Future, then it cuts back to the characters. That being said I've seen plenty of people who said 3 was their favorite season and how it's really gotten them into the show now and that makes me so happy that 3, while probably my least favorite season is turning folks who were lukewarm on the series into bigger fans. :)
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:48 pm

Wooley wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:06 am
Did he specify what he meant by that? I've previously felt that the show has a really simplistic, emulating approach to homage (Carrie meets the Goonies meets Alien) and did little more than remind me of movies I could be watching instead.

This season, while the homage is still fairly specific (The Thing, the Blob, Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Terminator), it never felt entirely derivative in how it approached this. The creature seemed to have its own personality beyond the homage.

The biggest strength is the triadal approach to plotting, which prevented the usual lulls and allowed the dynamics between the characters build. Steve and Dustin 4eva
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:12 pm

I didn't enjoy Stranger Things 3 as much as 1 and 2, but still, much love. It delivers a pure entertainment sensation I haven't felt since going through the Harry Potter books. B or B+ is a good rating.
As for Hopper,
his behavior coincided well with the season's theme of growing up and moving on. His exaggerated masculinity came across as something he would do to compensate for Eleven coming of age.
My main gripes are that the mystery element, which is my favorite part of the show, isn't as satisfying 1 and 2's mysteries. Also,
some of the characters, Jonathan in particular, got lost in the shuffle, but that seems to happen in every show that expands its cast every season. And then there's Billy, who besides being handsome, having great hair and digging MILFs, is pretty much a husk of a character.
On a personal note, I spent much of my youth at Gwinnett Place Mall, which took the place of Starcourt Mall. It's pretty much dead, so the surreal sensation of seeing what it was like in its prime was the icing on the cake.
Last Great Movie Seen
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:28 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:55 pm
What did you think of the Ghost Rider stuff? I was ok with it for the most part. At this point I'm thankful for any GR material that approaches any level of quality.
Pretty much exactly what you said. Not the Ghost Rider I would have wanted, necessarily, (I prefer the motorcycle, so iconic) but I have to take the Ghost Rider I can get, I suppose. I think I read that Disney+ is going to do w Ghost Rider series, but I think they are strongly considering just continuing with the version from AoS.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:30 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:48 pm
I'll throw in my 2 cents. I LOVE Stranger Things. Even if you set it in modern times those characters and that world is strong enough to stand without all the silly 80s references. I enjoyed all three seasons to varying degrees. 1 is still my favorite. With this most recent season I felt the writing was actually pretty terrible and relied way too heavily on all the characters bickering with each other. The first couple episodes were the worst but it got better from there. And it's the first time 80s references actually bugged me. Kind of a minor spoiler I guess but there's a part where the show stops for a second and you literally just watch the last couple minutes of Back to the Future, then it cuts back to the characters. That being said I've seen plenty of people who said 3 was their favorite season and how it's really gotten them into the show now and that makes me so happy that 3, while probably my least favorite season is turning folks who were lukewarm on the series into bigger fans. :)
I agree with your sentiment about S3.
You are doing better than me, until I came on here last night, I had not talked to a SINGLE person who was happy about S3, it's been nothing but negativity all around. Which I think just creates a group-think of negativity about the thing. I've got 2 eps left, I'm hoping it will at least end on a high-note and leave me wanting more instead of feeling like it's time to pull the plug.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:37 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:48 pm
Did he specify what he meant by that?
Yeah, he felt like the show had really descended into Ready Player One levels of nostalgia checking. I certainly felt that frequently, and since that movie was the fucking worst, maybe it's just not something I'm as amused by. He and I talked last night and we both felt like S1 and S2 just wove all the nostalgic parts into the world so you felt like you were simply IN 1984, as opposed to this season where it feels like they are just cutting from nostalgia-moment to nostalgia moment for 1985. Sometimes it's fun, but it really wears you out. Like when they do the Halloween 2 stuff, I was like, oh that's kinda cool, I appreciate Halloween 2 love, but it's just one example of how it feels like they really just want people to go "OMG, that's THIS thing I remember! OMG that's the next thing I remember!", over and over til the 9th episode ends.
And then we both just felt like all of that was just one of example of how the show just feels dumbed-down this season. Like someone said above, the writing feels like it has dropped and so much screen-time is just generated from people pointlessly bickering in conflicts that don't seem real or earned, especially for characters we already know pretty well who are forced to act against type to make these conflicts work.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:41 pm

Torgo wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:12 pm
I didn't enjoy Stranger Things 3 as much as 1 and 2, but still, much love. It delivers a pure entertainment sensation I haven't felt since going through the Harry Potter books. B or B+ is a good rating.
As for Hopper,
his behavior coincided well with the season's theme of growing up and moving on. His exaggerated masculinity came across as something he would do to compensate for Eleven coming of age.
My main gripes are that the mystery element, which is my favorite part of the show, isn't as satisfying 1 and 2's mysteries. Also,
some of the characters, Jonathan in particular, got lost in the shuffle, but that seems to happen in every show that expands its cast every season. And then there's Billy, who besides being handsome, having great hair and digging MILFs, is pretty much a husk of a character.
On a personal note, I spent much of my youth at Gwinnett Place Mall, which took the place of Starcourt Mall. It's pretty much dead, so the surreal sensation of seeing what it was like in its prime was the icing on the cake.
True on
Jonathan and Billy
The former gets reduced to almost nothing, far more of a change than the whiplash they gave to Steve, but the latter is a character I was hoping would get a real arc and real redemption this season (or a real arc and he gets worse would have been less preferred but fine) but instead he's treated, as you say, as a husk and considering how his character was sort of left hanging at the end of the previous season, it feels like a complete miss.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:54 pm

Wooley wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:28 pm
Pretty much exactly what you said. Not the Ghost Rider I would have wanted, necessarily, (I prefer the motorcycle, so iconic) but I have to take the Ghost Rider I can get, I suppose. I think I read that Disney+ is going to do w Ghost Rider series, but I think they are strongly considering just continuing with the version from AoS.
Yeah, I looked at it like a good news/bad news situation. On the one hand, Marvel is giving GR another shot after his movies failed to catch on, but on the other hand, they've relegated him to recurring character on a TV show. So it's the whole beggars/choosers thing.

Granted, I'm the first to admit that Ghost Rider is a silly character with a very niche appeal, but I'm not asking for a franchise, just one movie done right. My fantasy project is a filmed version of GR #35 (GR vs Death in a motorcycle race) directed by George Miller. If I win a lottery I'm makin' it happen.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:48 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:54 pm
Yeah, I looked at it like a good news/bad news situation. On the one hand, Marvel is giving GR another shot after his movies failed to catch on, but on the other hand, they've relegated him to recurring character on a TV show. So it's the whole beggars/choosers thing.

Granted, I'm the first to admit that Ghost Rider is a silly character with a very niche appeal, but I'm not asking for a franchise, just one movie done right. My fantasy project is a filmed version of GR #35 (GR vs Death in a motorcycle race) directed by George Miller. If I win a lottery I'm makin' it happen.
I don't think GR is silly at all, he was always one of my absolute favorites. I think he probably needed better stories/villains sometimes, but I thought his origin was cool, he looked badass, hell, who doesn't love a flaming skeleton in black leather on a motorcycle?! They made a shit movie. Shit. And followed it with another one nearly as bad. That's why it didn't succeed.
Give that shit to George Miller and it will rawk.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:20 pm

Wooley wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:48 pm
I don't think GR is silly at all, he was always one of my absolute favorites. I think he probably needed better stories/villains sometimes, but I thought his origin was cool, he looked badass, hell, who doesn't love a flaming skeleton in black leather on a motorcycle?! They made a shit movie. Shit. And followed it with another one nearly as bad. That's why it didn't succeed.
Give that shit to George Miller and it will rawk.
Don't misunderstand, by "silly" I just meant absurd/implausible, even as compared to other comic books. But his bad-ass-ity is second to none. One thing that SHIELD got right, if they had to lose the motorcycle, was to at least put him in a vintage muscle car. (I'm guessing a flaming car is easier to animate than a bike?) So they at least stuck to the spirit of the thing somewhat. (heh---spirit)

A few months ago I was working on a big long post about the movies. Such a waste. Maybe I'll get to that soon.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:33 pm

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance is wonderful.

Ghost Rider is terrible.

I'm ambivalent about the AoS version.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:36 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:33 pm
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance is wonderful.

Ghost Rider is terrible.

I'm ambivalent about the AoS version.
SoV is better, but far from wonderful.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:01 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:36 pm
SoV is better, but far from wonderful.
Oh yeah?

[youtube]https://youtu.be/d6xU-jmekpM[/youtube]

I rest my case.
Patrick McGroin

Post by Patrick McGroin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:46 pm

Spirit of Vengeance was loads better than the original. It had some of the most memorable imagery I'd ever seen. I was curious what the Agents of Shield GR looked like so I went youtubing. Whoever the guy is that's playing him is underwhelming. Maybe I need context but since I'll never watch AoS it's a moot point. Anyway no one's going to top Cage.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:28 am

Patrick McGroin wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:46 pm
Spirit of Vengeance was loads better than the original. It had some of the most memorable imagery I'd ever seen. I was curious what the Agents of Shield GR looked like so I went youtubing. Whoever the guy is that's playing him is underwhelming. Maybe I need context but since I'll never watch AoS it's a moot point. Anyway no one's going to top Cage.
That was how I felt in the few episodes I watched before bailing on the show.

We are of the same mind on SoV
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:31 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:01 pm
Oh yeah?

[youtube]https://youtu.be/d6xU-jmekpM[/youtube]

I rest my case.
I know you're a fan of Neveldine/Taylor. Would you agree that the film suffered as a result of N/T having to fuse their usual thing with standard blockbuster beats/moments? I felt like the film would've been much better had they been allowed to go "full retard". Instead we got an awkward combination of Crank and Affleck's Daredevil.
I was curious what the Agents of Shield GR looked like so I went youtubing. Whoever the guy is that's playing him is underwhelming. Maybe I need context but since I'll never watch AoS it's a moot point. Anyway no one's going to top Cage.
Yeah, I can hardly remember what the actor looks like. He's fine but not very memorable. The context is important, because I felt like he was given an interesting back story, so that when he goes on his vengeance rides there's some stakes involved that the audience actually cares about. But yeah, I wouldn't convince anyone to put any effort into watching it unless they're already a fan of the character.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:45 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:31 am
I know you're a fan of Neveldine/Taylor. Would you agree that the film suffered as a result of N/T having to fuse their usual thing with standard blockbuster beats/moments? I felt like the film would've been much better had they been allowed to go "full retard". Instead we got an awkward combination of Crank and Affleck's Daredevil.
I am and yes, it is definitely watered down compared to Crank 2 (everything is) and I would have preferred a version where Marvel let them go nuts and didn't panic after the absolutely nuts but tragic failure of Punisher: War Zone. Despite that, watered down N/T is still wonderful, unique and bananas and they allowed Cage to REALLY go for it.

On a side note, I've become increasingly convinced I'm just a Brian Taylor fan as his solo projects, Happy and Mom and Dad, have been comparable quality to past works while Nevelidine's solo film, the Vatican Tapes, was a lifeless, personality-less bore.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:02 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:45 am
wonderful
There's that word again. :shifty:

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:45 am
On a side note, I've become increasingly convinced I'm just a Brian Taylor fan as his solo projects, Happy and Mom and Dad, have been comparable quality to past works while Nevelidine's solo film, the Vatican Tapes, was a lifeless, personality-less bore.
Definitely. The Vatican Tapes left me wondering just what it was that Neveldine even brought to the table when they were a team. Felt nothing like their previous stuff.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:16 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:02 am
There's that word again. :shifty:

Definitely. The Vatican Tapes left me wondering just what it was that Neveldine even brought to the table when they were a team. Felt nothing like their previous stuff.
Did you rewatch those Cage scenes? By what metric does that performance not inspire wonder?

I think Neveldine probably worked as a great "wall" for Taylor to bounce his ideas on and iron them into something great but lacked the talent to be an artist on his own.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:43 am

You know who else loved the Ghost Rider sequel? Armond White.

Speaking of which, was the recent CNN series, The Movies, as bad as Armond made it out to be? 'Cause I'm not about to watch that, but I'd be interested in a confirmation.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:50 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:43 am
You know who else loved the Ghost Rider sequel? Armond White.

Speaking of which, was the recent CNN series, The Movies, as bad as Armond made it out to be? 'Cause I'm not about to watch that, but I'd be interested in a confirmation.
You know who didn't love the Ghost Rider sequel? Adolf Hitler.
John Dumbear

Post by John Dumbear » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:48 am

Any reason why no one here is talking about the best show of 2019? That show being "Good Omens". Six episodes of deliousness.

Just brilliant ! Shame on you buggers...
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:48 am

John Dumbear wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:48 am
Any reason why no one here is talking about the best show of 2019? That show being "Good Omens". Six episodes of deliousness.

Same reason no one else talked about Too Young to Die Old. No one watches Amazon Prime originals.
John Dumbear

Post by John Dumbear » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:19 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:48 am
Same reason no one else talked about Too Young to Die Old. No one watches Amazon Prime originals.
Sad that only shit is viewed here.

:down:
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:55 am

John Dumbear wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:48 am

Hey, I mentioned it a while back (albeit in another thread) but had no takers.
Great stuff.
"What did he say that got everyone so upset?"
"Be kind to each other."
"Oh yeah, that'll do it."
Thief

Post by Thief » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:31 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:48 am
HEEYYY!! :x I've seen several Amazon Prime original series and harped about them here...

Bosch (2015-present) A fairly straightforward, but engaging police thriller/drama. Very mature approach with little flash and bangs, but good script and performances.

The Man in the High Castle (2015-present) I think I gave up mid-season 1. Really good premise, but mediocre writing. I also didn't like the lead girl and her performance.

Mad Dogs (2016) I remember giving some praise to this back when I saw it. Pretty dark thriller that starts on a lighter, comedic tone but ends up doing some interesting genre-bending along the way.

Goliath (2016-present) Solid legal thriller, carried mostly by Billy Bob Thornton's performance. First season is pretty good, second season is weaker and a bit all over the place, but not bad.

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan (2018-present) I think I posted some of my thoughts on these a couple of weeks ago. First episode was borderline bad, but the show found its footing and ended up being quite solid, albeit formulaic.

Britannia (2018-present) Really solid period show about the Roman empire, celtics, druids, and whatnot. Good production values and direction and some pretty good performances, most notably David Morrissey (The Governor in The Walking Dead)

:P
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---