Wooley

Re: Films i Saw Last Month From Crappiest to Greatest

Post by Wooley » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:02 pm

Rumpled wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:24 pm
15th
The Vampire's Ghost
(1945)

On a safari in central Africa, naive Roy Hendrick (Charles Gordon) discovers to his horror that his traveling companion Webb Fallon (John Abbott) is a centuries-old vampire. Back at Fallon’s bar, the tension begins to mount…
7/10
Watch it free on youtube = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0YCU1OnO3o

Captain Terror & Wooley :up:
Funny, the title alone had me. You definitely know me.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:21 pm

Rumpled wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:22 pm
24th
Tyrannosaur
(2011)

The story of Joseph, a man plagued by violence and a rage that is driving him to self-destruction. As Joseph's life spirals into turmoil, a chance at redemption appears in the form of Hannah, a Christian charity shop worker. Their relationship develops to reveal that Hannah is hiding a secret of her own with devastating consequences to both of their lives.
7/10
Trailer = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvyqXFmV-LI

Devastatingly bleak, yet awesomely acted ;)

Yup. It also resists going the way you think it's going to go.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:27 pm

The Vampire's Ghost (1945)
Just when I think I've seen 'em all, Rump finds another one!
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:36 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:21 pm
Yup. It also resists going the way you think it's going to go.
Yup
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:50 pm

14th
Inuyashiki
(2018)

Inuyashiki Ichirou is down on his luck. While only 58 years old, his geriatric looks often have him written off as a pathetic old man by the world around him and he's constantly ignored and disrespected by his family despite all that he's done to support them. On top of everything else, his doctor has revealed that he has cancer and it appears that he has little time left in this world. But just when it seems things couldn't get any worse, a blinding light in the night sky strikes the earth where Ichirou stands. He later wakes up to find himself unscathed, but he soon starts to notice that there's something... different about himself. However, it turns out that these strange, new changes are just what Ichirou needs to take a new lease on life and now it seems like there's nothing to stop him from being a hero worthy of the respect that he never had before... unless, that is, there was someone else out there with these same changes...
7/10
Trailer = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LDxkPWsgcQ

Apex :up:
(Cause it's a very Chronicle-ey and has shirtless young man scenes) :P
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:58 pm

Oops i forgot

Gif reaction time for future conversations...

Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:19 pm

13th
Tenement
(1985)

The tenants of an inner-city apartment house, tired of the activities of the drug addicts and criminals in their building, turn them in to the police. Although the crooks are arrested and jailed, they are later freed on legal technicalities. They then return to the building to wreak their vengeance on the residents who turned them in.
8/10
Trailer = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sP--xjrgFE

Absolute trasherific stuff, does feature a scene that if i was to describe it you'd be appalled, but the films done in such a low budget and inept film making way it's almost comical!!!

Crumbsroom & Jinnistan :up:
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:47 pm

12th
Oh Lucy!
(2017)

The drama-comedy tells the story of Setsuko Kawashima (Terajima), a lonely, chain-smoking office lady in Tokyo who is past her prime. After deciding to take an English class, she discovers a new identity in her American alter ego, 'Lucy,' and falls for her instructor, John (Hartnett). When John suddenly disappears, Setsuko earnestly sets out on a quest to find him, eventually leading her to the outskirts of Southern California.
8/10
Trailer = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_fuaIMeJTI

Takoma :up:
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:06 pm

Rumpled wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:47 pm
12th
Oh Lucy!
(2017)

The drama-comedy tells the story of Setsuko Kawashima (Terajima), a lonely, chain-smoking office lady in Tokyo who is past her prime. After deciding to take an English class, she discovers a new identity in her American alter ego, 'Lucy,' and falls for her instructor, John (Hartnett). When John suddenly disappears, Setsuko earnestly sets out on a quest to find him, eventually leading her to the outskirts of Southern California.
8/10
Trailer = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_fuaIMeJTI

Takoma :up:
You know me very well. This is on my to-see list ever since they did one of the Class Trip threads about it.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:18 pm

11th
Mr. Sardonicus
(1961)

Sir Robert Cargrave (Ronald Lewis), a gifted London doctor researching experimental treatments for paralysis, receives a mysterious letter written in a familiar hand. Following its instructions, Cargrave travels to the foggy mountains of Gorslava, where he must treat the horribly disfigured Baron Sardonicus (Guy Rolfe). Sardonicus has married Cargrave's childhood sweetheart, Maude (Audrey Dalton), and threatens to harm her should the good doctor fail to cure him of his bizarre affliction.
8/10
Trailer = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24p3-yLgXuE

Wooley & Captain Terror :up:
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:26 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:06 pm
You know me very well. This is on my to-see list ever since they did one of the Class Trip threads about it.

Found this trailer while looking for the real trailer earlier.. and now realized it's based on a 21 min short

Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:40 pm

Rumpled wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:19 pm
Crumbsroom
From the widow of the Shriek of the Mutilated auteur. :up:
Rumpled wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:19 pm
& Jinnistan :up:
*checks soundtrack* - *no Motley Crue* = :up:
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:02 pm

Rumpled wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:50 pm
14th
Inuyashiki
(2018)

Inuyashiki Ichirou is down on his luck. While only 58 years old, his geriatric looks often have him written off as a pathetic old man by the world around him and he's constantly ignored and disrespected by his family despite all that he's done to support them. On top of everything else, his doctor has revealed that he has cancer and it appears that he has little time left in this world. But just when it seems things couldn't get any worse, a blinding light in the night sky strikes the earth where Ichirou stands. He later wakes up to find himself unscathed, but he soon starts to notice that there's something... different about himself. However, it turns out that these strange, new changes are just what Ichirou needs to take a new lease on life and now it seems like there's nothing to stop him from being a hero worthy of the respect that he never had before... unless, that is, there was someone else out there with these same changes...
7/10
Trailer = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LDxkPWsgcQ

Apex :up:
(Cause it's a very Chronicle-ey and has shirtless young man scenes) :P
Duly noted.

Although I do take to all different kinds of films...some of which everyone's fully clothed at all times. :P
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:06 am

Rumpled wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:18 pm
11th
Mr. Sardonicus
(1961)

Sir Robert Cargrave (Ronald Lewis), a gifted London doctor researching experimental treatments for paralysis, receives a mysterious letter written in a familiar hand. Following its instructions, Cargrave travels to the foggy mountains of Gorslava, where he must treat the horribly disfigured Baron Sardonicus (Guy Rolfe). Sardonicus has married Cargrave's childhood sweetheart, Maude (Audrey Dalton), and threatens to harm her should the good doctor fail to cure him of his bizarre affliction.
8/10
Trailer = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24p3-yLgXuE

Wooley & Captain Terror :up:
Ha!
I just started reading this and thought, "Oh, this is for me."
wichares

Post by wichares » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:23 pm

Rumpled wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:49 pm
27th
Swing girls
(2004)
I laughed myself silly till my ribs hurt at the boar pause-scene sequence.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:34 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:06 pm
It's on my radar as well.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:50 am

wichares wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:23 pm
I laughed myself silly till my ribs hurt at the boar pause-scene sequence.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:01 am

10th
Big Driver
(2014)

Driving home along a generally unused country road following a speaking engagement, famed mystery novelist Tess Thorne experiences a flat tire on her car. She accepts the help of who she believes is a good Samaritan who stops to help her, but who instead rapes her, leaving her submerged in shallow water in a drainage pipe as dead. She found out that he actually orchestrated her getting the flat tire just moments before the rape. Alive, she, in shock, is able to make her way home, but she does not go to the hospital, dealing with her wounds herself, does not call the police, or tell any of her friends or acquaintances how she sustained her obvious injuries. Once the issue of what happened to her settles into herself, she decides to use her skills as an investigative writer to find out the reason behind what happened - if she was a random or targeted victim - and especially if the latter, how best to use that information to her advantage. Using her stories' grandmotherly heroine, Doreen...
8/10
Trailer = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK2Q_Bnsk28

Maybe for Takoma but it is a bit rapey :-/
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:15 am

9th
Fear of a Black Hat
(1993)

In the hilarious tradition of This Is Spinal Tap, urban- comedy hit Fear of A Black Hat is a slyly subversive satire that smashes stereotypes as it skewers Gangsta Rap. Chronicling the controversial career of bad boys N.W.H. (Niggaz Wit Hats), this uproarious mockumentary? lampoons all of hardcore rap's hot-button issues, violence, censorship, white rappers, ruthless record industry types, and livin' large while keepin' it real. Through the guerilla lens of writer/director Rusty Cundieff, this underground laugh riot reveals the rise, fall and resurrection of this clueless bunch of would-be rappers Ice Cold, Tone-Def & Tasty Taste as N.W.H. Delivering hysterical music videos along with raw outtakes, Fear of A Black Hat is a cult classic that critic Roger Ebert calls "funny and fresh."
8/10
Trailer = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usSS517OlSI

Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:21 am

8th
Dragged Across Concrete
(2018)

The script centers on two policemen, one an old-timer (Gibson), the other his volatile younger partner (Vaughn), who find themselves suspended when a video of their strong-arm tactics become the media's cause du jour. Low on cash and with no other options, these two embittered soldiers descend into the criminal underworld to gain their just due, but instead find far more than they wanted awaiting them in the shadows.
8/10
Trailer = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p5pdWyyZoc

Whoa.. well this went under the radar :shock:
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:31 am

7th
Bad Times at the El Royale
(2018)

Six strangers, (Jeff Bridges, Cynthia Erivo, Dakota Johnson, Jon Hamm, Cailee Spaeny and Lewis Pullman) each with their own secrets, meet at the El Royale hotel of Lake Tahoe. Taking place over one night, alliances are made and secrets are revealed.
8/10
Trailer = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7wzBVARwaU

I actually turned it off first time from boredom, but gave it another try weeks later and was well rewarded :up:
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:43 am

6th
No Tears for the Dead
(2014)

Abandoned by his mother shortly after immigrating to America, Gon is raised by the mafia and grows up to become a cold-blooded hit-man. Though usually flawless in taking out his targets, Gon makes a terrible mistake of killing an innocent young girl. A flood of guilt takes over his life and the situation becomes worse when his boss assigns him the job of killing the young girl's mother. Gon's new target, Mogyeong, is a risk manager at an investment firm and has buried herself in work to bury her grief. She is completely unaware of her role at the heart of a dangerous conspiracy. Finally, she meets the man who wants to tell her the truth behind the death of her child.
8/10
Trailer = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSEETdINiGY
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:51 am

5th
Slums of Beverley Hills
(1998)

Vivian's family are penniless nomads, moving from one cheap flat to another in Beverly Hills so she and her brothers can attend the city's schools. Uncle Mickey sends them money to survive. When Mickey's daughter Rita runs away from an asylum, Vivian's dad offers shelter to her if Mickey will pay for a plush flat. Vivian must babysit her adult cousin, making sure she gets to nursing school and avoids pills and booze. But Vivian has her own problems: she's curious about sex, likes an older neighbor kid, has inherited her mother's ample breasts, and wants a family that doesn't embarrass her. Can she help Rita, keep Uncle Mickey happy, and feel OK about her body and her family?
8/10
Trailer = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XPjoVH7ESo

Wooley :up:

Lookout for Marisa Tomei dancing with a vibrator
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:58 am

4th
Edge of Sanity
(1989)

When Henry Jekyll's experiments with cocaine have gotten out of control, he transforms into the hideous Jack Hyde. As Hyde he searches the London streets at night for his prey in whorehouses and opium dens. The police can't catch him, he has nothing to lose but his mind...
8/10
Trailer = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgUbxlFsCPY

I always avoided this cause of the crappy cover.. but Perkins seriously gets his perv on :D
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:25 pm

3rd
Greta
(2018)

A sweet, naïve young woman trying to make it on her own in New York City, Frances (Chloë Grace Moretz) doesn't think twice about returning the handbag she finds on the subway to its rightful owner. That owner is Greta (Isabelle Huppert), an eccentric French piano teacher with a love for classical music and an aching loneliness. Having recently lost her mother, Frances quickly grows closer to widowed Greta. The two become fast friends - but Greta's maternal charms begin to dissolve and grow increasingly disturbing as Frances discovers that nothing in Greta's life is what it seems
8/10
Trailer = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAEoJkL_8zU

My favourite young an old actresses plus a welcome return for "It Follows" hottie and directed by Neil Jordan :up:

Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:45 pm

2nd
Miss Bala
(2011)

At 23, Laura Guerro and her friend Suzu enter the Miss Baja pageant. Both qualify, and while Laura waits at a nightclub for Suzu to break away so they can go shopping, a heavily-armed drug gang murders drug enforcement officials there. Laura escapes unharmed but can't find Suzu, so the next day she looks for her; her dogged behavior brings her to the cartel's attention, and they force her to assist them as they menace her father and younger brother. Lino, the gang's leader, decides Laura should finish the pageant although her only interest is escape. Every day drags her deeper and corruption is pervasive. What alternative is there to death or prison?
9/10
Trailer = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMpy372j_lY

Not to be confused with the american remake, which i haven't seen but i'm sure it's crap :roll:
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:12 pm

1st
The Witch: Part 1 - The Subversion
(2018)

When Ja-yoon (Kim Da-Mi) escaped from a top secret government facility as an eight-year-old, she left behind a trail of bodies, an ankle-deep river of blood and all of her memories of the life which came before. Ten years later, she’s living as a normal, if unusually gifted teenager in a rural backwater. But when she appears on a televised talent show, it’s not just her perfect pitch which attracts attention. And soon, Ja-yoon finds herself pursued by figures from a past she no longer recalls. This YA spin on a Korean revenge movie suffers from a few pacing issues, and leans a little too heavily on exposition, but the action sequences are as thrilling as they are face-crunchingly visceral. And the deadly charisma of the key performers, notably newcomer Kim Da-mi as the teenage Ja-yoon, should ensure plenty of interest in further chapters in this story.
9/10
Trailer = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmD6BAQjDzY

Well it just had to be didn't it... south korean version of Hanna with 110% more awesome :up:
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:21 pm

Hotties of the Months

Miss February - Vanessa Williams (The Pick-up Artist)
Miss March - Sydney Sweeney - (Dead Ant)
Miss April - Anri Okita (Naked Ambition 2)
Miss May - Mystery Uncredited Hottie (Edge of Sanity)
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:08 pm

Rumpled wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:01 am
10th
Big Driver
(2014)

Driving home along a generally unused country road following a speaking engagement, famed mystery novelist Tess Thorne experiences a flat tire on her car. She accepts the help of who she believes is a good Samaritan who stops to help her, but who instead rapes her, leaving her submerged in shallow water in a drainage pipe as dead. She found out that he actually orchestrated her getting the flat tire just moments before the rape. Alive, she, in shock, is able to make her way home, but she does not go to the hospital, dealing with her wounds herself, does not call the police, or tell any of her friends or acquaintances how she sustained her obvious injuries. Once the issue of what happened to her settles into herself, she decides to use her skills as an investigative writer to find out the reason behind what happened - if she was a random or targeted victim - and especially if the latter, how best to use that information to her advantage. Using her stories' grandmotherly heroine, Doreen...
8/10

I predict Takoma will pass on this one.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:09 pm

Rumpled wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:01 am
10th
Big Driver
(2014)

8/10

Apex Predator wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:08 pm
I predict Takoma will pass on this one.
I've seen it, actually! Or, rather, I've seen the last 2/3 of it because I caught it on TV. Maria Bello is really good in it (as are some other great actresses like Ann Dowd and Olympia Dukakis), but I thought that the movie wallowed a little too much in the crimes. Like, I missed the initial attack, but I saw parts of it in a flashback sequence and then later there were photographs. I did enjoy the 2/3 that I saw, but I'm not at all sad that I missed the first act.

EDIT: Also, as someone who does long drives to avoid flying and someone who has twice had to get into a truck alone with a man I didn't know, this one hit a little close to home.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:08 am

Rumpled wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:21 am
8th
Dragged Across Concrete
(2018)

The script centers on two policemen, one an old-timer (Gibson), the other his volatile younger partner (Vaughn), who find themselves suspended when a video of their strong-arm tactics become the media's cause du jour. Low on cash and with no other options, these two embittered soldiers descend into the criminal underworld to gain their just due, but instead find far more than they wanted awaiting them in the shadows.
8/10
Trailer = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p5pdWyyZoc

Whoa.. well this went under the radar :shock:
I wondered if this might actually be a good movie that suffered from neither of its stars having much good-will with audiences these days.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:15 am

Rumpled wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:25 pm
3rd
Greta
(2018)

A sweet, naïve young woman trying to make it on her own in New York City, Frances (Chloë Grace Moretz) doesn't think twice about returning the handbag she finds on the subway to its rightful owner. That owner is Greta (Isabelle Huppert), an eccentric French piano teacher with a love for classical music and an aching loneliness. Having recently lost her mother, Frances quickly grows closer to widowed Greta. The two become fast friends - but Greta's maternal charms begin to dissolve and grow increasingly disturbing as Frances discovers that nothing in Greta's life is what it seems
8/10
Trailer = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAEoJkL_8zU

My favourite young an old actresses plus a welcome return for "It Follows" hottie and directed by Neil Jordan :up:

I'm really pullin' for CGM, I hope she can keep this going long enough to have another breakout.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:18 am

Rumpled wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:12 pm
1st
The Witch: Part 1 - The Subversion
(2018)

When Ja-yoon (Kim Da-Mi) escaped from a top secret government facility as an eight-year-old, she left behind a trail of bodies, an ankle-deep river of blood and all of her memories of the life which came before. Ten years later, she’s living as a normal, if unusually gifted teenager in a rural backwater. But when she appears on a televised talent show, it’s not just her perfect pitch which attracts attention. And soon, Ja-yoon finds herself pursued by figures from a past she no longer recalls. This YA spin on a Korean revenge movie suffers from a few pacing issues, and leans a little too heavily on exposition, but the action sequences are as thrilling as they are face-crunchingly visceral. And the deadly charisma of the key performers, notably newcomer Kim Da-mi as the teenage Ja-yoon, should ensure plenty of interest in further chapters in this story.
9/10
Trailer = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmD6BAQjDzY

Well it just had to be didn't it... south korean version of Hanna with 110% more awesome :up:
110% more awesome that the film Hanna or the show?
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:06 am

Wooley wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:18 am
110% more awesome that the film Hanna or the show?
I didn't know there was a show?
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:23 am

Wooley wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:08 am
I wondered if this might actually be a good movie that suffered from neither of its stars having much good-will with audiences these days.
I've been wanting to see it for months but its Belgian release got postponed again and again, and the week it finally came out I couldn't go because I had to study for my exam. When I got time again the week after, it already disappeared from theaters. Never given a chance.
I loved Brawl in Cell Block 99, wasn't so crazy about Bone Tomahawk. I'm curious what my thoughts on this will be when I finally see it.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:34 pm

Slentert wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:23 am
I've been wanting to see it for months but its Belgian release got postponed again and again, and the week it finally came out I couldn't go because I had to study for my exam. When I got time again the week after, it already disappeared from theaters. Never given a chance.
I loved Brawl in Cell Block 99, wasn't so crazy about Bone Tomahawk. I'm curious what my thoughts on this will be when I finally see it.

I think you'll love it ;)