The Fly

For at home, I'm thinking of seeing

Night of the Demon
Dead of Night
Don't Look Now
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Carnival of Souls
Freaks
I would strongly endorse all of the above. Freaks and The Hidden are particular favorites of mine, and The Innocents is simply stunning.
Wooley

Re: Horrorcram XV: Let's Scare Corrierino To Death

Post by Wooley » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:11 am

Slentert wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:32 pm
I know, it's why I wear that "noob" title with proud, I'm aware of all the great movies waiting for me to watch for the first time. :)
Lucky devil.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:11 am

Slentert wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:38 pm
I have recently purchased the Indicator blu-ray release of Night of the Demon, which contains all cuts of the film, so I'm very excited to watch that one.
Nice. It's really good.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:21 am

Charles wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:03 pm
Texas Chainsaw is exhausting. I saw 45 minutes of it and stopped it there because it felt like 2 hours. It definitely has an effect though and I'd recommend it, but I'll probably never finish it.
This makes me sad. The batshit second-half is great. Iconic even. Although the best part, for me is really when things first come totally unravelled. Freakiest shit I ever saw, so many movies have been trying to imitate it for decades but almost never quite get it.

I always tell the story of when I had a Horrorthon double-feature at my house and about 10 people came up to my den to watch Rosemary's Baby followed by The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. One of them was my neighbor's 17 year-old daughter who came to see TCM and was kinda talking a little tough about how she could watch anything. During the opening credits she actually murmured in a tense voice, "I don't know about this..." 5 minutes into the movie she just said, "Nope", and got up and walked out.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:22 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:42 pm
I would strongly endorse all of the above. Freaks and The Hidden are particular favorites of mine, and The Innocents is simply stunning.
I don't think I know The Hidden, tell me more.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:26 pm

Slentert wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:48 am
Inferno
Is this the Argento film, or the 1910 version of Dante?

Slentert wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:48 am
I Married a Witch
The Hidden
Bell, Book and Candle
Scanners
I have nothing against these films. These are fine films. I'm just saying that in the event of a schedule crunch, these are the ones I wouldn't prioritize. That says more about the quality of all of the other films on your list.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:29 pm

Wooley wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:22 am
It's a fun, weird and very 80s sci-fi thriller. Without giving away too much, imagine a buddy cop film with alien assassins. In the 80s.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:28 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:26 pm
Is this the Argento film, or the 1910 version of Dante?
The Argento one. That same theater is playing Opera in november, but sadly only with French subtitles. :(
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:11 pm

Wooley wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:22 am
The Hidden is an 80s action/thriller/horror film. Michael Nouri plays a detective whose city suddenly deals with some strange and brutal incidents. He gets teamed up with an FBI agent, Kyle MacLachlan, whose story about just who (or what) he's after seems to be hiding something.

In addition to being a fun entry in the buddy cop subgenre, I think that it also has some really lovely (and strange) character moments, especially in a sequence where MacLachlan's character comes over to his partner's house for dinner.

Avoid the sequel, though. It is some hot garbage.
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:45 am

VIY was just added to Shudder! Yippee!
It's dubbed in English but the image quality is pristine so I can live with that.
Rock

Post by Rock » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:19 am

+1 for The Hidden. In addition to being really entertaining, it's surprisingly moving, in the same way that outlandish '80s genre fare like Return of the Living Dead, Miracle Mile and Night of the Creeps are when the drop moments of disarming sincerity.
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:32 am

MKS brought up the subject of five favorite horror films of the current decade. I liked the idea, so a gut-check leads to (unranked):

Annihilation
The Babadook
Green Room
The Invitation
Kill List

Leaving off so many that this list is fundamentally useless except as a picture of where my brain is at this exact moment in time. The Cabin in the Woods and 10 Cloverfield Lane are sobbing in the corner.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:37 am

Random reminder to people that The Resurrected (1991) has a late-80s feel to it and is one of the better Lovecraft adaptations (The Case Of Charles Dexter Ward, tied, probably, for my favorite Lovecraft story).
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:41 am

Wooley wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:37 am
Random reminder to people that The Resurrected (1991) has a late-80s feel to it and is one of the better Lovecraft adaptations (The Case Of Charles Dexter Ward, tied, probably, for my favorite Lovecraft story).
Agreed! Not quite top-tier like Gordon's best, but definitely worth a look.
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:00 am

Cabin In The Woods
Get Out
The Witch
A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
It Follows

(Hereditary was probably just narrowly bumped, but I felt like IF's ending holds up a little better than Hereditary's)

If they were to count as Horror then,

Black Swan
Attack The Block
What We Do In The Shadows

...might very well shake up this list.

Edit: Shit, I forgot The Babadook. I'd have to rewatch both but it would probably bump It Follows or maybe replace AGWHAaN.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:38 am

I already listed Under the Skin, The Babadook, The Witch, and Hereditary in the Recently Seen thread, and The Cabin in the Woods would probably be my fifth pick.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:22 am

I've yet to do a horrorthon in the sense of creating a long list of movies to watch during October, but I might as well start one this year. Here's the films I plan to watch this October. If I have more time than I expect, I'll add a couple others to the list.

Green Room
Carrie
They Live
Repulsion
Re-Animator
It Follows
Night of the Demons
Shaun of the Dead
From Dusk Till Dawn
Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:03 am

Wooley wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:37 am
Wanted to watch this for 90s horror month but I can't find it anywhere. Can't even rent a disc from Netflix. Help a brother out.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:37 am

DaMU wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:32 am
MKS brought up the subject of five favorite horror films of the current decade. I liked the idea, so a gut-check leads to (unranked):

Annihilation
The Babadook
Green Room
The Invitation
Kill List

Leaving off so many that this list is fundamentally useless except as a picture of where my brain is at this exact moment in time. The Cabin in the Woods and 10 Cloverfield Lane are sobbing in the corner.
Mine would look like this:

Kill List
Green Room
Get Out
Raw
The Cabin in the Woods

Mandy probably would've made the list but I'm not certain if that counts as a horror movie. Same for Turbo Kid

Why don't we talk more about Turbo Kid, that movie is so much fun.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:51 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:03 am
Wanted to watch this for 90s horror month but I can't find it anywhere. Can't even rent a disc from Netflix. Help a brother out.
Bummer, I don't find it anywhere either. Well, it'll come back around eventually.
crumbsroom

Post by crumbsroom » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:17 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:22 am
I've yet to do a horrorthon in the sense of creating a long list of movies to watch during October, but I might as well start one this year. Here's the films I plan to watch this October. If I have more time than I expect, I'll add a couple others to the list.

Green Room
Carrie
They Live
Repulsion
Re-Animator
It Follows
Night of the Demons
Shaun of the Dead
From Dusk Till Dawn
Not so big on Dusk till Dawn (even though I like the first half or so well enough) but the rest of these are quality.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:18 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:17 pm
Not so big on Dusk till Dawn (even though I like the first half or so well enough) but the rest of these are quality.
Aw, Dusk Til Dawn is fun. Sex-Machine! Santanico Pandemonium!
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:24 pm

Wooley wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:18 pm
Aw, Dusk Til Dawn is fun. Sex-Machine! Santanico Pandemonium!
Salma Hayek in that film may be the most beautiful woman I've ever seen.

The rest of the film is an enjoyable mishmash of In Cold Blood meets Evil Dead.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:31 pm

Dusk til Dawn is so much fun, one of my favorite vampire movies. George Clooney is at peak cool and Quentin Tarantino is at peak creep. :D
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:45 am

Stonehearst Asylum continues the trend of Brad Anderson making a movie that has all the ingredients to be great but comes off under cooked and underwhelming.
ThatDarnMKS

Post by ThatDarnMKS » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:46 am

Oh, and Scream and Scream Again was a very enjoyable B movie that barely stars Vincent Price, Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:37 pm

I thought that this might be of some interest to you guys.

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:45 am
Stonehearst Asylum continues the trend of Brad Anderson making a movie that has all the ingredients to be great but comes off under cooked and underwhelming.
I liked it, but did not love it. I found a certain plot reveal at the end really surprising and pleasing.

When it comes to Anderson, I think that Session 9 and Happy Accidents are pretty great. I also thought he did a really nice job with the episodes he directed of Fringe.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:42 pm

It seems like Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare is considered the worst of the series, and while it's not my favorite, I didn't hate it. I like how it explored the long-term effects of child abuse and the Children of Men-like childpocalypse in Springwood made it seem like there were actual stakes. Also, some of the kills - the ones targeting the hearing-impaired Carlos resonated with this partial-hearing loss sufferer - were clever. However, Freddy is at his most vulnerable and cartoonish in this one, and due to this and the ill-conceived cameos from Roseanne Barr, Tom Arnold and Johnny Depp, it's definitely the least scary entry. While it doesn't reach the heights of the first three movies, I enjoyed it more than four and five.
Last Great Movie Seen
Loves of a Blonde (Forman, 1965)
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:10 pm

Anderson's "Sounds Like" from Masters of Horror was pretty good, as I recall; Transsiberian and The Machinist didn't leave much of an impression.
NOTE:
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:17 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:46 am
Oh, and Scream and Scream Again was a very enjoyable B movie that barely stars Vincent Price, Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.
I felt like the funniest scenes took place in the hospital.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:20 pm

Charles wrote:
Texas Chainsaw is exhausting. I saw 45 minutes of it and stopped it there because it felt like 2 hours. It definitely has an effect though and I'd recommend it, but I'll probably never finish it.
Wow.

Yeah, I'd give this one another go. The scene at the dinner table should be seen for sure.
Apex Predator

Post by Apex Predator » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:24 pm

The Babadook
It Comes at Night
It Follows
The Invitation
The Cabin in the Woods

Just missing out: A Quiet Place, The Witch, Hush, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:33 pm

I don't know if any of you subscribe to the Criterion Channel, but check out their list of October releases here: https://www.criterion.com/current/posts ... 019-lineup

And if you don't want to pay, you could conveniently decide to explore their free two week trial.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:06 am

Charles wrote:
Out of curiosity, which version are you referring to? I've only seen the original and it's definitely great.
Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:09 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:06 am
Out of curiosity, which version are you referring to? I've only seen the original and it's definitely great.
The original. I only ever heard negative things about the remake.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:31 am

Captain Terror

Post by Captain Terror » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:07 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:33 pm
I don't know if any of you subscribe to the Criterion Channel, but check out their list of October releases here: https://www.criterion.com/current/posts ... 019-lineup

And if you don't want to pay, you could conveniently decide to explore their free two week trial.
Yep, lots of good stuff there. The Old Dark House/Arsenic & Old Lace double feature is calling my name.
Rump

Post by Rump » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:17 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:33 pm
Jacques Tourneur mania :)
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:46 am

Kicked off the most wonderful time of the year with The Dead Don’t Die. Everyone was real hyped for this when the trailer dropped but I wasn’t so jazzed. I gave it a watch anyway and my initial reaction seemed to be correct. The exposition is a chore, the whole movie feels flat, there’s lots of pointless characters and scenes. At least Tilda Swinton and Steve Buscemi were fun to watch.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:02 am

Deschain13 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:46 am
Kicked off the most wonderful time of the year with The Dead Don’t Die. Everyone was real hyped for this when the trailer dropped but I wasn’t so jazzed. I gave it a watch anyway and my initial reaction seemed to be correct. The exposition is a chore, the whole movie feels flat, there’s lots of pointless characters and scenes. At least Tilda Swinton and Steve Buscemi were fun to watch.
Man, I'm on a fucking island with this movie.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:17 pm

Green Room (2015) - 7/10

Overall, this is effective for a number of reasons, but I wouldn't say I'm as down on it as some people here are. In terms of suspense, this film nailed that aspect quite well. Multiple scenes did an effective job at building this up and the shockingly gory payoffs of several of those moments did a great job at raising the stakes even more. I also liked how the film occasionally pulled the rug out from under me by going in a few different directions than I initially thought by refusing to telegraph the fates of major characters ahead of time and by twisting my expectations around at a few points. So, with that being said, I definitely enjoyed this one quite a bit. What held the film back for me though were the villains. For instance, while Patrick Stewart gave a fine performance as Darcy, the leader of the neo-Nazis, what he lacked was a memorable presence which made him stick out amongst the rest of them who, for the most part, weren't that memorable as well. Many of them didn't get enough to do in the film to get under my skin. Overall, while I didn't like this one quite as much as Blue Ruin, I still enjoyed my time with it, and I'd definitely recommend it.
Thief

Post by Thief » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:24 pm

Apex Predator wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:20 pm
Wow.

Yeah, I'd give this one another go. The scene at the dinner table should be seen for sure.
That and the whole ending. It's relentless.
--- UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Thief

Post by Thief » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:29 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:17 pm
Green Room (2015) - 7/10

Overall, this is effective for a number of reasons, but I wouldn't say I'm as down on it as some people here are. In terms of suspense, this film nailed that aspect quite well. Multiple scenes did an effective job at building this up and the shockingly gory payoffs of several of those moments did a great job at raising the stakes even more. I also liked how the film occasionally pulled the rug out from under me by going in a few different directions than I initially thought by refusing to telegraph the fates of major characters ahead of time and by twisting my expectations around at a few points. So, with that being said, I definitely enjoyed this one quite a bit. What held the film back for me though were the villains. For instance, while Patrick Stewart gave a fine performance as Darcy, the leader of the neo-Nazis, what he lacked was a memorable presence which made him stick out amongst the rest of them who, for the most part, weren't that memorable as well. Many of them didn't get enough to do in the film to get under my skin. Overall, while I didn't like this one quite as much as Blue Ruin, I still enjoyed my time with it, and I'd definitely recommend it.
I would probably agree, more or less, about the "bad guy" (played by Macon Blair, the lead in Blue Ruin), but I didn't mind for two reasons: first, I thought Patrick Stewart gave such a commanding presence that there wasn't a need for another "showy" bad guy to compete with. Second, I think he was going for a more empathetic approach to the role than a typical "moustache-twirling" villain. If I remember correctly, there are several brief and subtle moments where we see him being more hesitating perhaps? about what they're doing? Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but anyway, I really didn't mind his low-key approach to that specific character.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:42 pm

Thief wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:29 pm
I would probably agree, more or less, about the "bad guy" (played by Macon Blair, the lead in Blue Ruin), but I didn't mind for two reasons: first, I thought Patrick Stewart gave such a commanding presence that there wasn't a need for another "showy" bad guy to compete with. Second, I think he was going for a more empathetic approach to the role than a typical "moustache-twirling" villain. If I remember correctly, there are several brief and subtle moments where we see him being more hesitating perhaps? about what they're doing? Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but anyway, I really didn't mind his low-key approach to that specific character.
I wasn't necessarily referring to Macon Blair. I was referring to Patrick Stewart as Darcy. Overall, I thought Stewart gave a fine performance, but I actually didn't feel like the character he played was particularly memorable as he had about as much to work with as several other neo-Nazis did. I can't quite put my finger on it, but when thinking of movies with effective villains, I often think of a particular scene or two or more which made the villains in them stick out as characters. Sadly, I didn't get that feeling from Darcy.
Thief

Post by Thief » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:49 pm

Oh wow, I thought when you said "the leader of the Neo-nazis" you were referring to Blair. I don't know, I thought Stewart was excellent. I loved how, despite how ruthless he ultimately was, he had that meticulous approach while also trying to seem comforting of the victims at times. Loved him.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:55 pm

Out of curiosity, would you say you liked this one or Blue Ruin more? I think that both films are pretty highly regarded on this forum.
Thief

Post by Thief » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:58 pm

I like both a lot, but I won't deny that I give a little edge to Green Room. It's more of my wheelhouse.
Rump

Post by Rump » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:49 am

Hmmmmm Blood Child (2017) with a colossal 7.9 on IMDB with 1,452 votes

I will investigate tonight :shifty:
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:17 am

DaMU wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:32 am
The Babadook
The Blackcoat's Daughter
Kill List
Black Swan
The Innkeepers
I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House
Eyes of My Mother
The Wailing
It Follows
Mandy
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:40 am

I just watched Anna and the Apocalypse: a Christmas, zombie, musical heavily influenced by Shaun of the Dead. It’s got some damn fine cinematography but the rest is lacking. The editing appears to have left some scenes on the cutting room floor, the musical numbers feel like an afterthought and cast doesn’t quite have the charisma to pull it all off. And for being our main character, Anna doesn’t have much to do. I mean her wants and relationships are set up fine but most of the movie she’s just with the rest of the group of survivors. Kind of a bummer, it could have been really fun.