Recommended Readings: Reviews, Writings and Rants

Discuss anything you want.
Slentert

Re: Recommended Readings: Reviews, Writings and Rants

Post by Slentert » Sat May 04, 2019 9:45 am

Matt Zoller Seitz proves yet again why he is one of my favorite film writers currently out there.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sun May 05, 2019 2:11 pm

a history of how the 1998 American Godzilla movie came to be

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2015 ... -complete/

obviously not a classic but still a good look at the inner workings of Hollywood.
Stu

Post by Stu » Mon May 13, 2019 4:24 am

Slentert

Post by Slentert » Mon May 13, 2019 8:18 am

Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Sun May 26, 2019 7:22 am

an oral history on the making of The Phantom Menace

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars ... al-history
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:43 pm

I hate to indulge the schadenfreude of the collapse of Babe.net, but the irony of it all is too irresistable: "All of our content just felt very male gaze-y to me. It was like a woman who was obsessed with having sex with men and performing sex for men."
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:21 pm

‘They Set Us Up to Fail’: Black Directors of the ’90s Speak Out: Julie Dash, Matty Rich, Darnell Martin, Ernest Dickerson, Leslie Harris and Theodore Witcher on a boom that went bust, and what’s different now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/03/movi ... 1990s.html
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:13 pm

The Slow Death of Hollywood by Matt Stoller

https://mattstoller.substack.com/p/the- ... -hollywood
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:42 pm

An insightful and elegant video essay about The Last Unicorn, a movie I finally saw for the first time last weekend and really enjoyed:

I recommend subscribing to that channel because it has never let me down. It also contains the Adventure Time essay I posted a while back.
Last Great Movie Seen
The Irishman (Scorsese, 2019)
Stu

Post by Stu » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:11 am

Torgo

Post by Torgo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:46 pm

What some of the classic movies of '99 have in common:

Last Great Movie Seen
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:50 pm

I don't need to watch that 'cause we were just talking about it!
I once had an office job but one day I flipped out and got fired which is why I'm now working in a warehouse. it pays less and is very mechanical and unfulfilling work and very below my education level but I get to get paid to work on my beach bod. and I'm not on the computer for 7+ hours a day. so, silver lining.
Beau

Post by Beau » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:25 pm

Stu wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:32 am
Good stuff :up: Anyway...

AVENGERS, MCU, GAME OF THRONES, AND THE CONTENT ENDGAME
Great piece, although of course it got some-good-points-but-ed to death in the comments by would-be film historians who simply repeat things Matt already admitted to or mentioned in his piece.
Stu

Post by Stu » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:27 am

Beau wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:25 pm
Great piece, although of course it got some-good-points-but-ed to death in the comments by would-be film historians who simply repeat things Matt already admitted to or mentioned in his piece.
BEAU! Where you been at, yo?
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:41 am

gosh darn it, I may end up re-watching that one just to see if the critics are right. I can't even remember how I thought about it back when I was 18, 19 or so.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:21 pm

I've touted the What's So Great About That YouTube channel before, but here's another very good entry from it, which is about our real selves vs. our online selves:

Last Great Movie Seen
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:04 pm

Last Great Movie Seen
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:43 pm

Last Great Movie Seen
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:10 pm

Last Great Movie Seen
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:58 am

Read that one as well. I don't really understand this practice Disney has. Why would you deliberately make it harder for people to see your movies (on the big screen)? Another example of how studios don't care to keep their back catalogue alive.
Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:29 pm

does it have anything to do with maintaining the Disney "brand"? i.e. strictly family-friendly fare
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:15 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:29 pm
does it have anything to do with maintaining the Disney "brand"? i.e. strictly family-friendly fare
I don't think so. The "Disney vault" has been in effect for a long time now, and they already had this no-repertory-screenings-policy for their regular Disney catalogue, so in a sense it's not surprising they're giving the Fox catalogue the same treatment. They probably want the audience for these movies to solely have to rely on physical media, or even more preferably, their streaming services. But you would think that the kind of audience who is willing to leave their house and go see a classic on the big screen will also want all their favorite movies to be available at home, on disc or streaming-wise. So I don't really see the benefit of this kind of "exclusivity".

And I really hope they're not going to bury all the Fox movies that don't fit in with their child-friendy image. I don't expect that to happen. But I'm not so sure what will happen to older Fox titles that don't have the fanbase that movies like Aliens or The Omen have, and if these will just fall through the cracks, too small for major corporations to care about while those same multi-billion companies won't even consider leasing them to smaller labels like a Twilight Time or an Indicator just out of misplaced principles.
Jinnistan

Post by Jinnistan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:16 pm

Slentert is our resident witness to the awesome potential of the repertory cinema.

I'm glad to hear Edward Norton come out and voice the common sense: "It’s the theater chains that are destroying the theatrical experience. Period, full-stop. No one else."

And you can easily apply that criticism directly at Disney's door, because Disney, as easily the most powerful studio today, has the most sway over what you can and can't see on the cartel theater chain screens. And Disney stooge, Spielberg, happens to be at the forefront of the studio assault against Netflix. Isn't is a little 'spicious how those who have been the most critical of Netflix, trying to shut them out of award-eligibility and festivals and in the case of The Irishman off of 90% of theater screens, will likely not utter a peep about how Disney is restricting hundreds of films from repertory screens? I thought they felt that the theater was the sole place to appreciate cinema? Why deny younger generations their opportunity to then see these classic films as they were intended? Maybe we should stop pretending that this isn't all about money instead?

Scorsese recently incurred the wrath of fanshirts everywhere when he dared to admit that he doesn't watch Marvel movies. He accurately described them as being more like theme park rides than cinema ("human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences"). He's not wrong. But why can't studios, and their toady chains, allow Scorsese to make his certified-acclaimed cinema? "They don't want to make the kind of films I want to make. It's over. It's finished." Seems like his good friend Spielberg might consider this development as equally detrimental to the theatrical experience that he supposedly values so much more than his Disney dollars.
Slentert

Post by Slentert » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:01 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:16 pm
Slentert is our resident witness to the awesome potential of the repertory cinema.
:D I did said "seeing this on the big screen" a lot these past few days huh? Sorry if it got annoying.
Stu

Post by Stu » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:25 am

Oxnard Montalvo

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:59 pm

I'd like to think that even the diehard MCU fans would concede that Disney crowding out the marketplace is an issue.

also I'm reminded when when Lucrecia Martel was offered a chance to direct Black Widow, she was assured that the action scenes would be handled by stunt coordinators, special effects artists, and second unit directors. if this is true for the rest of the MCU movies, it could explain why they can feel homogenized (in my opinion) in spite of their director (because I know Ryan Coogler and Taika Waititi are not hack-frauds). it's too bad we never got Alain Resnais's Spider-Man.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:49 pm

So this took me way longer than originally expected, but I'm really proud of it: a video that asks if Empire was really as critically divided upon release as so many people have suggested it was.

(The answer is: no. Most critics liked it, and many of those critics found it equal to or better than the original.)

NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:05 pm

DaMU wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:49 pm
So this took me way longer than originally expected, but I'm really proud of it: a video that asks if Empire was really as critically divided upon release as so many people have suggested it was.

(The answer is: no. Most critics liked it, and many of those critics found it equal to or better than the original.)

Neat!

I think that the question of how attitudes change (or don't) toward a film from the time of its release is an interesting one.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:07 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:05 pm
Neat!

I think that the question of how attitudes change (or don't) toward a film from the time of its release is an interesting one.
For sure. Also interesting how people think attitudes change can be interesting. I think part of the confusion with Empire comes from a (not ill-intentioned) desire to legendize it with underdog elements (but that's just a guess).
NOTE:
The above-written is wholly and solely the perspective of DaMU and should not be taken as an effort to rile, malign, or diminish you, dummo.
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:39 am

DaMU wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:07 am
For sure. Also interesting how people think attitudes change can be interesting. I think part of the confusion with Empire comes from a (not ill-intentioned) desire to legendize it with underdog elements (but that's just a guess).
No, I completely agree. "Unappreciated in its time" certainly adds interest to a movie. It combines a dose of "What do those critics know anyways?!" with "Ah, but I am sophisticated enough to appreciate this!".

"Critics thought it wasn't good, but now we all see it's great!" is much more appealing than "So anyway, people pretty much liked it."

And speaking more broadly, our sense of history or attitudes can just be wrong. Like when people say things like "Back in the olden days, most people got married at 14! And if you were older than 24 no one wanted you!". I mean, okay, yes, some people did get married young. But in 1300 (or thereabouts), the average age of a woman getting married was like 32.
DaMU

Post by DaMU » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:44 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:39 am
No, I completely agree. "Unappreciated in its time" certainly adds interest to a movie. It combines a dose of "What do those critics know anyways?!" with "Ah, but I am sophisticated enough to appreciate this!".

"Critics thought it wasn't good, but now we all see it's great!" is much more appealing than "So anyway, people pretty much liked it."

And speaking more broadly, our sense of history or attitudes can just be wrong. Like when people say things like "Back in the olden days, most people got married at 14! And if you were older than 24 no one wanted you!". I mean, okay, yes, some people did get married young. But in 1300 (or thereabouts), the average age of a woman getting married was like 32.
I had no idea about that 1300 thing! That's surprising. I thought it was all about marry off the daughter and dowries and land agreements. D'oh!

[One detail I do remember on that subject is that people were weirded out by Edgar Allan Poe marrying his 13-year-old cousin not because she was his cousin but because she was 13.]
NOTE:
Takoma1

Post by Takoma1 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:11 am

DaMU wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:44 am
I had no idea about that 1300 thing! That's surprising. I thought it was all about marry off the daughter and dowries and land agreements. D'oh!

[One detail I do remember on that subject is that people were weirded out by Edgar Allan Poe marrying his 13-year-old cousin not because she was his cousin but because she was 13.]
I think that if you only count first marriages (ie not widows remarrying) it lowers the average to something like early 20s. But still much older than the 15 year old brides most people seem to imagine.

I'm sure our idea of child brides partly comes from the old laws that made ages like 12 the minimum legal age to get married.

Here's another delightful fact (sorry to stray us so far from Star Wars!): there was a practice called "bundling" which was a pre-marriage thing that couples were allowed to do, usually at the bride-to-be's home. The guy would come over and they would spend the night in bed together, either just hanging out or even doing sexy stuff just short of penetrative sex. Sometimes there was a special bed with a board down the middle. Sometimes a female relative slept in the bed with them. It was basically practice for them to get used to sleeping together, since obviously they would not have lived together before marrying.

Also, there are documents from like 1400-something in which teachers are like "God! This current generation is so spoiled and undisciplined! Whatever happened to the traditional values?!"

Finally, if you don't know who Julian of Norwich is or Margery Kempe, both of them are worth looking into.