The Director of the Month Club

Discuss anything you want.
Circus Freak

Re: The Director of the Month Club

Post by Circus Freak » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:47 pm

Mod Hip wrote:Interesting - I feel the ticket collector and Van Tilt's stories played off one another in the end, one filling in blanks about the other and culminating nicely with the desperate declaration of normalcy... but contrary to your take, for me it was all about Van Tilt.
I can't say I thought any blanks were filled, so to speak. The whole thing felt more fragmentary than that. I appreciated the ticket collector part because the film stayed with him and focused in on the characters surrounding him for a sustained period of time, plus the scenes just did more for me, subjectively.
Shieldmaiden

Director of the Month Club

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:08 am

February: Aleksandr Sokurov

I am only a link in the chain of world culture; and if that is not so, then all my work is rubbish. As a matter of fact, I strive to find ties with tradition in every piece of my work. For that reason do not call me an avant-gardist. The avant-gardists strive to create something new, starting with themselves. A call for a certain unbroken connection is perhaps the only intellectual element in my work, and everything else comes from emotion.

The Sun
Mother and Son
The Second Circle
Days of Eclipse
MrCarmady

Post by MrCarmady » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:24 am

hahaha (I accidentally opened the random screenshot thread on the 1st page before, and thought LEAVES had come back, now this...)
I'm a rubbish Russian, not seen any of his films (or, more shamefully, Tarkovsky's). Someone recommended me The Second Circle, so I'll probably watch that soon regardless of whether it'll come up. Are you going to open with Russian Ark or Mother and Son to let people unacquainted with him take a dip before diving?
Colonel Kurz

Post by Colonel Kurz » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:39 am

I wouldn't call Russian Ark a dip if you have little knowledge of 400 years of Russian history...
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:39 am

MrCarmady wrote:Are you going to open with Russian Ark or Mother and Son to let people unacquainted with him take a dip before diving?
I intend to ease people in, yes. But I can't divulge my carefully thought-out plan. :)
Derninan

Post by Derninan » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:41 am

Ah, wonderful, a director whose work I keep intending to immerse myself in. I will definitely be participating! Great choice, Maiden.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:26 am

Derninan wrote:Ah, wonderful, a director whose work I keep intending to immerse myself in. I will definitely be participating! Great choice, Maiden.
Thanks! I'm glad you're participating. I think a lot of people have been meaning to watch him.
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:32 am

I may participate. Or at least I'll try. No guarantees with me.
no longer on hiatus from movies(!)

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd
Trip

Post by Trip » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:01 am

Eww. more godzilla man plz
Please TRIP and Die
Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:02 am

YAY
Blevo

Post by Blevo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:15 am

I will be participating in this one so hard.
ledfloyd

Post by ledfloyd » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:39 am

i will participate at least a bit. i have a couple of his films in my instant queue, seems like a good excuse to get around to them.
Mod Hip

Post by Mod Hip » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:11 am

Alright, capped off the Warmerdam month. I actually really got involved with Little Tony. Easily my favorite of the highlighted four if only for the engrossing story.

Will certainly try to keep going with this. I have only seen one Sokurov.
Epistemophobia

Post by Epistemophobia » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:25 am

I've grown to love Soku.
Circus Freak

Post by Circus Freak » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:01 am

I've seen Russian Ark and Elegy of a Voyage, but this was years ago. So I'm intrigued.
Shieldmaiden

February: Aleksandr Sokurov

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:44 pm

Week 1: The Sun - Netflix

I am not interested in the history or politics which took place. I am not really interested in historical events or the period. I am much more interested in the human being... how he changes when he acquires this terrible weapon, politics.
The Last Baron

Post by The Last Baron » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:49 pm

Links:
http://rapidshare.com/files/171414319/Sokurov_-_Solntse.part11.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/171416929/Sokurov_-_Solntse.part10.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/171416928/Sokurov_-_Solntse.part09.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/171416838/Sokurov_-_Solntse.part08.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/171416818/Sokurov_-_Solntse.part07.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/171416817/Sokurov_-_Solntse.part06.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/171414358/Sokurov_-_Solntse.part05.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/171414356/Sokurov_-_Solntse.part04.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/171414352/Sokurov_-_Solntse.part03.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/171414353/Sokurov_-_Solntse.part02.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/171414348/Sokurov_-_Solntse.part01.rar.html

From SMz. No password.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:43 pm

The Last Baron wrote:Links:
Thank you!
Trip

Post by Trip » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:57 pm

Bout time I watched this, dammit. Yayeth.
Please TRIP and Die
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:28 pm

Trip wrote:Bout time I watched this, dammit. Yayeth.
Good! But, you've been watching some Sokurov lately, haven't you?
Trip

Post by Trip » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:32 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:Good! But, you've been watching some Sokurov lately, haven't you?
No. Just that one long short. Or short long.

It's a pity Kino cancelled that blu of The Sun they announced.
Please TRIP and Die
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:52 pm

I should have mentioned above that Netflix has this one on Instant watch. So, take advantage, if you can!
ledfloyd

Post by ledfloyd » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:57 pm

i will definitely be watching this at some point this week.
Derninan

Post by Derninan » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:57 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:I should have mentioned above that Netflix has this one on Instant watch. So, take advantage, if you can!
Yeah, it's been in my IW queue for maybe a year? Maybe even longer? :-/
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:08 pm

Derninan wrote:Yeah, it's been in my IW queue for maybe a year? Maybe even longer? :-/
I've been raving about Sokurov for months in the Recently Seen thread. But nobody watched him. :(
ledfloyd wrote:i will definitely be watching this at some point this week.
:)
Derninan

Post by Derninan » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:00 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:I've been raving about Sokurov for months in the Recently Seen thread. But nobody watched him. :(
Well, featuring him here will raise his profile, for sure. I promise I'll make time for at least one film!
Blevo

Post by Blevo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:52 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:I've been raving about Sokurov for months in the Recently Seen thread. But nobody watched him. :(

:)
I've totally been doing my part.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:39 pm

Blevo wrote:I've totally been doing my part.
Ah, I knew someone was watching some. Do you have a favorite?
Trip

Post by Trip » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:40 pm

How'd you like Punch Drunk Love, Maiden?
Please TRIP and Die
Blevo

Post by Blevo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:44 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:Ah, I knew someone was watching some. Do you have a favorite?
I'm not sure if I have a favorite necessarily but the one that has been haunting my thoughts is Odinokiy golos cheloveka. It possesses that resonant frequency harmonizes with my subconscious and it is a stellar piece of filmmaking for a first time effort.
Blevo

Post by Blevo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 pm

There are some screenshots of it here:

http://corrierino.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... start=1300
Mod Hip

Post by Mod Hip » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:18 pm

I will confess that at first The Sun was patience-trying. For that I might credit my relative lack of knowledge on the Japanese front of WWII. The film drew me in enough, though, and overall I think it's quite good indeed and certainly preferable to the other Sokurov I've seen (this comparison perhaps rooted in the personal interest here as opposed to that other one's difficult historical base). Without the need to display battlefield it creates a palpable sense of wartime's rattled pressure center on the verge of defeat with what appears to be reverence for Japanese culture at the end of an era against derision of America's casualness. Appeals greatly to the eye upon its few exterior ventures. Issey Ogata's performance, from what I discern, is exceptional. "Snow in winter looks like the Sakura in March. Time is indifferent and erases both of them."

Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:04 pm

Trip wrote:How'd you like Punch Drunk Love, Maiden?
It really surprised me how much more I liked it this time. I loved the way the sound and colors show his moods! It's unique. I don't know what was wrong with me the first time I saw it. I didn't even remember the plot accurately at all.

“I have to get more pudding for this trip to Hawaii!” :)
Mod Hip

Post by Mod Hip » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:40 am

So yeah, the more I think on The Sun the more I like it. More opinions! At the very least I'm curious how people feel about the fade-cuts in the opening scene.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:20 am

I hope others have checked this one out. It's beautiful!

As food for thought, a couple more Sokurov quotes:

“I try to look at history in the Shakespearian tradition - how a small, puny man with a thin voice had the courage to refuse the past and secure a worthwhile future for his country.”

“The picture is my legs. The soundtrack is my heart and soul.”

That last one makes me laugh, but it’s true that sound is extremely important in his films. I’ve learned to make sure the volume is turned up, and to use good headphones. This one is on the subtle side for him, but the sound is an interesting combination of crickets, thunder (or distant bombing), droning hums, classical music (sometimes two pieces at once), and radio static.

And, here's an interesting article about how the film was received in Japan.
Trip

Post by Trip » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:29 am

Well, I have not watched it, but that article was illuminating.
Please TRIP and Die
Mod Hip

Post by Mod Hip » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:45 am

Article makes me feel small. So knowledgable and well written. I had read about the controversy over a portrayal of the emperor (by a comedian, no less), and that the production had to be guarded from would-be protesters. Other interesting points, too - in particular the careful development of the bunker set, which, in my opinion, pays off nicely.

What with it being Soviet silent cinema month on Karagarga I've been inspired to watch films about the Bolshevik Revolution... so in turn I wonder if Taurus will be one of the Sokurovs highlighted here. If not, no matter - I'll watch it anyway :D
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:46 am

I re-watched this. No one does atmosphere better than Sokurov. The underground tunnels, the hovering attendants, and the distant thunder of bombs give his strange existence a stifling, claustrophobic feeling, a feeling not lifted until the very end.

At first I was annoyed by the actor who plays General MacArthur. I thought their meeting should have been a clash of personalities, but there was only one personality in the room. Then I realized that, from Hirohito’s perspective, the absence of any readable personality (and complete lack of respect) might be exactly right; that probably is how MacArthur seemed to him.

Those end credits are so beautiful. Don’t skip them. Listen!
Mod Hip wrote:I'm curious how people feel about the fade-cuts in the opening scene.
They were strange. That’s all I’ve got.
Trip

Post by Trip » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:20 am

Yuuum, that shot. Tonight! Yay, a real movie!
Please TRIP and Die
Circus Freak

Post by Circus Freak » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:47 am

I watched Little Tony yesterday to finish off the van Warmerdam. It's impossible for me to say which of the films I thought was best, but I like his style and sense of humour, so this was an enjoyable month overall.

I'll get started on Sokurov some time this week.
ledfloyd

Post by ledfloyd » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:26 pm

i started watching this last night but i was too tired to give it the proper amount of attention. i liked what i saw though, i think i'm going to like it a lot more than russian ark. i'll try to get back to it tonight.
Mod Hip

Post by Mod Hip » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:18 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:At first I was annoyed by the actor who plays General MacArthur. I thought their meeting should have been a clash of personalities, but there was only one personality in the room. Then I realized that, from Hirohito’s perspective, the absence of any readable personality (and complete lack of respect) might be exactly right; that probably is how MacArthur seemed to him.
I found him a point of annoyance as well, but came to a similar (if not as deep) conclusion that that's the intention. I wouldn't say there was only one personality in the room, though, Hirohito's is just more passive - at least in that environment... and that's one of the reasons I like the cigar-lighting shot so well - the contempt in his eyes as he tries to understand this disrespectful General.
Mod Hip wrote:I'm curious how people feel about the fade-cuts in the opening scene.
Shieldmaiden wrote:They were strange. That’s all I’ve got.
About all I've got either. I didn't "like" them but I suppose they probably helped generate a certain feeling about the bunker for that opening sequence.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:31 pm

Mod Hip wrote:I wouldn't say there was only one personality in the room, though, Hirohito's is just more passive - at least in that environment... and that's one of the reasons I like the cigar-lighting shot so well - the contempt in his eyes as he tries to understand this disrespectful General.
I didn't explain what I meant very well! I thought Hirohito was the personality. The actor that played MacArthur seemed very weak and colorless, despite his bluster. But, again, I think it's due to the way the foreignness of his manners and attitudes would be perceived by Hirohito.
Mod Hip

Post by Mod Hip » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:34 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:I didn't explain what I meant very well! I thought Hirohito was the personality. The actor that played MacArthur seemed very weak and colorless, despite his bluster. But, again, I think it's due to the way the foreignness of his manners and attitudes would be perceived by Hirohito.
Ah, I'm more inclined to agree with this, then.
Trip

Post by Trip » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:17 pm

Quite a bit to talk about in this one.

Well, it certainly wasn't too engaged with the politics, but some of that is present. It's generally focussed on the Emperor's meek disposition, charting this through social interaction (servants, generals, Americans, wife), spacial interaction, and physical quirks. Now, what I read about Hirohito made him seem to be a great deal more confident, and vocal, and maybe he was even in Sokurov's film, prior to these winding down days -he is defeated. Instead this is more of a portrait than a biopic, a portrait of...death, really. At least the death of his reign. I did not know Japanese Emperors were considered deities, but that it's brought up by the film is important, considering the bits about Darwinism in contrast. e.g. The scene of him studying the crab's biological traits (which he compares to a samurai), the little bits of conversation about his being a God (which to me Hirohito subtly expresses a mocking disbelief in more than once), maybe other things...oh, the interview with the biologist (I wish this had been longer, actually). Maybe Hirohito's belief in evolutionism, his not being a deity, plays a significant part in his accepting his fate to the Allies. He is but a man, as the film's collection of quotidian pieces add up to. The modern world ends a long line of Japanese Emperors. I understand this is a common theme with Sokurov, what modernism has left behind or destroyed, correct? I'm interested in seeing his Hitler and Lenin pictures, also.

No one has yet mentioned the dream. Amazing. Unexpected! Again, the bombers are some sort of underwater creature. What is this telling us? That Hirohito's concept of the people whose fate is in his hands is abstract, distant? He's not out there amongst the warfare, so he has no vivid images of real battle seared into his mind to dream about. Of course, it's more of an apocalypse than just war. Could be more of the idea of survivial of the fittest.

What else? Bits of comedy, also unexpected.
As for the formal side, a bit unusual. Gorgeous, certainly. Is it digital? It's hard to tell with Sokurov, as his images look like photography, digital effects/animation, and drawing/painting all at once. With the little fades between scenes (even some shots) along with the digital matte-painting aesthetic, it looks most like Rohmer's The Lady and the Duke. Which was about revolution, the main character having to accept her fate also. I found some shots oddly conventional and maybe not very well thought through. I'm referring to the way conversations were filmed, I think.

Anyway, I thought this was a very absorbingly funereal film.
Please TRIP and Die
Mod Hip

Post by Mod Hip » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:30 pm

Well said, Trip. I concur with most all your points (I particularly like what you've said about the whole deity thing), though I actually found the dream sequence... well, if not "out of place", at least unnecessary. While as you observe the images are not distinctly WWII battlefields, I found the warfare's distance more effective.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:22 pm

Trip wrote:Quite a bit to talk about in this one.
<3
Well, it certainly wasn't too engaged with the politics, but some of that is present.
The more I read about the history, the more I realize that the film is staking out a very sympathetic position. It’s hard to imagine him being responsible for disastrous war decisions when the film shows him only quoting poetry to his war council. Also, he was apparently forced to renounce his deity, and hedged as much as possible. But, I’d rather just talk about the film, not the history.
It's generally focussed on the Emperor's meek disposition, charting this through social interaction (servants, generals, Americans, wife), spacial interaction, and physical quirks.
Rather than meek, I’d call him sheltered. He’s plenty imperious (“get up, old man”), but he’s been raised since infancy not to dress himself or open doors. The way he chooses to speak English to MacArthur is not exactly meek. His amusing relationship with his wife is probably due more to the culture of the time, and the constraints of state duties and lack of privacy.
No one has yet mentioned the dream. Amazing. Unexpected! Again, the bombers are some sort of underwater creature. What is this telling us? That Hirohito's concept of the people whose fate is in his hands is abstract, distant? He's not out there amongst the warfare, so he has no vivid images of real battle seared into his mind to dream about. Of course, it's more of an apocalypse than just war. Could be more of the idea of survivial of the fittest.
That’s probably my favorite scene in the film! Flying fish bombers dropping fish bombs. And, it’s beautiful. So crazy. I just thought it showed his difficulty in picturing things he’s had no contact with (and, of course, his obsession with marine biology).
Anyway, I thought this was a very absorbingly funereal film.
Do you not feel the elation in him at the end? There’s plenty of sorrow, too, about the defeat (but he’s had plenty of time to resign himself to that) and the seppuku of the sound engineer. But, he’s so relieved to have “renounced his deity” that he’s giddy. I think it had been weighing on his conscience for a long time, and, he knows the gesture will pave the way for Japan’s modernization. Again, this is just in the film’s terms. The history is very different, apparently.
Beau

Post by Beau » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:58 pm

Oh.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:06 am

Hi! :)
Beau

Post by Beau » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:48 am

For some reason, I convinced myself the Sokurov thing was going to be an individual thread, and not part of this ongoing series. I'll say something. I hope!