YTMN Presents a Remake Rematch Thread

Discuss anything you want.
YouTookMyName

Re: YTMN Presents a Remake Rematch Thread

Post by YouTookMyName » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:05 am

Hank wrote:Oh... that Gort! Hijacking threads again! :)
He needs to be disciplined.
Gort/YTMN left the forum due to trolling on August 25, 2018.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:20 pm

A Comparison of The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945) and Dorian Gray (2009)

It is with frightening ease that young Dorian Gray's soul passes into the pigments of the painting completed by his new found London acquaintance Basil Hallward. He simply makes a pact with the Devil, but he never sees the Devil. That is, unless Lord Henry Wotton is the Devil himself. Oddly, in this case, it is only after years pass that the devil realizes that a pact has been made. In fact, Dorian himself remains peculiarly ignorant of what has happened until some time has gone by. As I wrote in the review of the 1945 version, this is handled quite cleverly in that early adaptation:
YTMN wrote:Like: The use of the Eqyptian cat figurine to symbolize the acceptance of the boy's errant, yet mostly innocent, bargaining away of his soul. The fact of the physical symbol allows the filmmakers to have Dorian go right on through the story without ever figuring out what has happened to him.
Of course, in the 2009 version the perpetual youngster does almost assemble the mental puzzle. Both versions of Dorian are repelled by what they have become, because the youth in the novel did the same, and they take measures that correct everything in a literary way.

As the story unfolds, Dorian wants to both revel in this translocation of his soul, and the non-aging of his flesh, and also to hide it away from the world behind locked doors. Because this is one of the major themes of the novel, it becomes a common aspect of both movie versions: With the greatest of ease, the boy has lost his soul, and although he is embarrassed by this, he is powerless to stop it. Furthermore, having lost his soul, he is powerless to get it back, or to cleanse it.

A Difference in Approaches to Decency Is At Work Here
It might be worth pointing out here that in the Victorian Era, and even into the Edwardian Era, at least in the UK there was a popular notion that a person's face was a window to the soul. Facial characteristics would reveal who the person being viewed really was. "He had an intelligent face," Agatha Christie might write about a character. Or, "She had a cruel mouth." Thus, the notion that the portrait could ultimately reflect what the boy did in his unscathed physical life, was not as far-fetched an idea as it is to those of us watching the films in the 21st century. In both eras it is a plot device, a symbolic gesture on the part of the storytellers. But in the 1890s when the novel was published, and even as late as the 1940s when the Lewin film was created, there were a good many people who believed you could tell everything from how a person looks.

Some of the thoughts I have that might fit into this essay will appear in "To Conceal the Artist," but I will say that I have my doubts whether Oscar Wilde was genuinely as wild as his reputation of the time. Remember that many things that are not repugnant these days were considered to be heinous sins or crimes in the high-conformity 1890s. And it was socially acceptable, or maybe socially required for people to become disgusted (or to pretend to be disgusted) at the least infraction of "decency." Think about the bathing suits of the day if you doubt that.
Loss of the Soul as a Symbol
The loss of the soul was symbolic in Faust, and it is symbolic in the story of Dorian Gray, which derives from the legend of Faust, but it is easy to understand what loss of the soul is a symbol of: failure to maintain some degree of self-control. Failure to practice some degree of self-censorship. Failure to respect the boundaries between "you" and "them" which might cause a person to begin to treat people as if they are possessions rather than each being a living entity with inherent human worth. However you think people "lose their souls," and whatever you imagine that they do when this happens to them: this is the theme of The Picture of Dorian Gray. Thus, this is what both these films are about. I'm not certain that there is any intentional moral lesson to the tale.

But if Wilde is saying anything, he is saying that accountability is what keeps us behaving toward other human beings in a way that can be described as moral. He is saying that anything that takes us beyond accountability (for example, enormous wealth in modern times) can lead to a person behaving in ways that are hurtful to those around them. Wilde doesn't insinuate that Dorian's actions are righteous. Nor does he say that they are unrighteous. He lets us determine that for ourselves, if we are wise enough. But he creates a story that allows us to examine the questions of responsibility that we probably need to, at some time in our lives. The treatment of the 1945 film, due to the Hayes Code, robs the story of its power. The only thing that is left to Lewin is the intellectual question, but it cannot be realised without examples, and the best examples can't even be mentioned, much less depicted. The 2009 version fares better in that regard, since Parker is able to show Dorian engaging in certain behaviors that many of us would not consider. Or if we ever did them, we wouldn't make a career of it.

Nowadays We Don't Fear Losing the Soul (as Much)
I'm pretty sure the idea of losing one's soul is not as terrifying to modern minds as it was to those 120 years ago when the novel first appeared. We are a conformist society, even to this day, but our notions of conformity are so much more flexible. And our notions of tolerance seem to have come a long way. Watching the 2009 film exposes a person to hints of what people might do. Other than murder (or a possible rape) that Dorian does in the film, we consider the rest of it optional behavior that is up to him and his partners, if they are consenting partners. But I think we are still all worried by that idea of "losing control." Whatever you do, as long as you are deciding to do it, there seems to be some potential for amends, or stopping (should the thing be bad). But if you actually lose control, what might you do? This story stands on the same sense of terror that you hear in John Huston's voice at the climax of Chinatown when Noah Cross tells Jake Gittes, "I don't blame myself. You see, Mr. Gittes, most people never have to face the fact that at the right time and the right place, they're capable of ANYTHING."

I believe that many of us fear that his statement is true.
Go back using these buttons.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:15 pm

A Comparison of Planet of the Apes (1968) and Planet of the Apes (2001)
Where Do They Shop, These Apes?

Apes in the wild don't wear clothing. They don't need to; their bodies are swathed in hair. But the apes in all three incarnations of Planet of the Apes (considering the first films and the TV show as one incarnation) wear as much clothing as we humans tend to.

Why?

Because even more than by making tools, even more than by speaking, even more than by making movies, humans are defined by wearing some degree of clothing! Without adornment, the apes would not have been convincing as "civilized" animals. In the couple of origin flicks made so far, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, and Rise of the Planet of the Apes, the apes are clothed by their human masters. In the same way that some people clothe their dogs and cats, some people clothe their ape pets, even today.

Whether this is horrific I can't say. Perhaps some people suffer uneasiness when they see clothed, speaking apes, a kind of uncanny valley of the apes. It isn't that the intelligent apes would actually need clothes, it's that we need to see clothing on the ape characters in order to consider them intelligent and civilized.

Am I right? What do you think?

The Future Unreels
Colonel Kurz

Post by Colonel Kurz » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:26 pm

I think you've got a point there. Part of the reason why Europeans thought the people they encountered in the rest of the world were savage is their lack of clothing.
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:09 pm

A Comparison of The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) and The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008)
Is the 2008 version maybe "An Art Film?"

Does The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008) have even the pretext of being an "art film?" I'm trying to give it some benefit of the doubt by raising this question. What would we need to find in it, in order to classify it as such? If we succeeded, would it be a failed art film? We would have to see symbolism that would be more than mere inference. We would have to see homages to films other than the other one that bears its title. We would have to see "great themes" manifested in character or action.

I don't see it. I just don't. But then, by my own paradigm of how to judge films, I am not capable of judging this one, because they didn't make it for me. They made it for the people who like it. How big was their ultimate audience, then? Perhaps some of you readers will be able to spot things that might represent concepts, or something that's an homage besides copy-catting a dozen better and worse films.

Copy-catting: the spheres rise up out of the ground a la Spielberg's travesty on The War of the Worlds. They are already here. Ooh, creepy, I suppose. The enemy is not only at the gate, the enemy is in the bathroom hiding behind the shower curtain with a knife just waiting for you to enter naked, and be sliced. For example: A Chinese isn't really a Chinese at all, but a possessed body that shrouds an alien being. The robot companion of Klaatu isn't a fixed size but can grow at will, like the threat of terrorism in the public imagination. The scientist who can figure things out is not a serious man at all, but a buffoon played by a world-famous funny man. And the character that is sent to be the destructor isn't really sure how to stop things once they are set into motion. What?

Not only that, but the alien has to have magical powers. Technology alone doesn't woo the modern audience, at least in the minds of the 2008 filmmakers. I think a modern art film would have subverted action film expectations and might have asked some serious questions instead of tossing a bunch of cliched tropes our way, hoping we wouldn't duck in time.

The 1951 film is also not an art film, but it is a message film that made sense for its day. People were afraid of Communists, but they were also afraid of the nuclear weapons that were supposed to protect us from Communists. The film says, in an entertaining way, that weapons are not protection. That our only real protection is to master our fearful nature. That we are not the enemy if we choose not to be. The 2008 film doesn't particularly say anything. Whereas Robert Wise was saying what was not popular, the later film goes for what's currently the buzz in a rather twisted way: We are the enemy, whether we want to be or not. We just are. We will destroy the earth's environment and ourselves along with it, unless we are saved by some outside force. Blah, blah, blah. And then at the last minute they back off this and say, "Wait. No, we're good after all. No, really. We're good." Hollywood.

In 1951 we thought of ourselves as capable of learning, and of improving. In 2008 did we really think of ourselves as ultimately worthless and fallible; as things that should never have been created in the first place by evolutionary mechanisms; as a total evolutionary mistake? Did we? I rather doubt it. And I don't think the filmmakers did, either, because they let Klaatu change his mind when it was too late: "Wait. No, they're good after all. No, really. They're good." Also, the earth doesn't stand still in the second film. It's just a title gimmick that has no relation to anything that happens in the movie. EMP stalls all microprocessors! The earth stands still! Except for hardened nuclear weapons, and so forth.
I think the 1951 film is an excellent example of story-telling. The 2008 film is an example of how to show on screen that you didn't have a freaking idea what you were up to. That you tossed a lot of ideas and special effects into a screen project and stirred them up, dumped them onto the celluloid, and pumped light through it onto big-assed screens. That's not art. So, the 2008 film is best not thought of as an art film.

Well, that's my opinion. What do you think?

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:29 pm

Colonel Kurz wrote:I think you've got a point there. Part of the reason why Europeans thought the people they encountered in the rest of the world were savage is their lack of clothing.
Thank you for the supporting idea. That hadn't occurred to me, but I see the parallel. And it is an excellent observation.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:45 pm

A Comparison of Nosferatu (1922) and Nosferatu (1979)
Framing, Composition, Lighting

When F.W. Murnau set out to make Nosferatu, there was no synchronous sound for motion pictures. He had to work with motion, set design, and editing in order to tell his story. That was literally all he had control over. Many times his masterpiece of terror would be shown in a tent with folding wooden chairs, a sawdust floor, and a small portable organ with only two octaves as musical accompaniment. That's how the movie business was in the 1920s. He wanted to recreate the story in Bram Stoker's Dracula, but he could not secure the rights. So, he forged ahead, changing character names but keeping the main plot intact. Count Dracula became Count Orlock. It was a ruse insufficient to keep the Stoker estate from suing. His borrowing was sufficiently obvious that a European court ruled that all copies of the film must be destroyed. Every. Single. One.

Not Everything Was Destroyed!
If the judge's order had been followed, the cinematographic style of Nosferatu: eine Symphonie des Grauens would not be a point of discussion in this thread. Whether I want to support scofflaws or not, I am glad that someone, shall we be generous and say, didn't get the message? Enough prints had been made and exhibited, that one or two were missed. I read that the first copy to be unearthed came from France.

Because time had passed, when Werner Herzog set out to update the story in the 1970s, he had sync sound to work with. He had color film stock. And he had the original public domain Murnau vehicle to copy from to his heart's content. Herzog changed all the character names back to the original names. He did his own riffs on the stories of both the novel and of Murnau's film. He created something that is as otherworldly as Murnau did.

Style Derived from Topic
Both films are weird, and about the weird, so you might expect a rather strong stylistic imprint in terms of photography. And in both cases, the photographic style is used to impart the bulk of a sense of dread and off-kilter, not-of-the-real-world ambiance. Murnau's film makes more use of startling camera angles. It is difficult to watch this 1922 venture into vampirism with a fresh eye. So many ideas that Murnau brought to the screen were successful enough and memorable enough that they have been copied many times in the intervening years. Obviously, Herzog sought to copy the style Murnau invented for his film, but he didn't do so slavishly. Only a few major scenes, shots, really, are copied for the sake of Herzog's telling of the tale. Two of them involve Orlock/Dracula, and there is no dialog. Neither is an exact copy of its 1922 counterpart.

Mood Set by Cinematography
As is often the case, Murnau's monochromatic photography is moodier by itself. But Herzog plays with the tropes of cinema. For example, his shots of the ship that Count Dracula takes to England as it arrives bereft of human life and teeming with rodents, are played out almost silently. Murnau had no choice but to work without sound, but for Herzog it is a creative choice. He purposely focuses our eyes by depriving our ears of almost all sound. The resulting vision, dreamlike, mesmerizing, plays out quietly, drawing us into the horror. It gives our brains time to reflect on what it would be like to have a real ship, laden with real rats (of course these were real rats) and an undead presence, arrive on the waterways of our own villages. Glimmering, reflective water parts almost silently as the ghost ship sails into town. A hollow thump sounds when its wooden beams bump against the edges of the canal. The music is quiet. Perhaps there is no music. I don't recall. The ship arrives in the absence of observers, as far as the viewer can tell.

Because of the presence of inter-titles, one can turn off the sound with Murnau's film, and still understand what is happening. But I believe that you would be no more lost if you muted the soundtrack on either version of Herzog's twin remakes. Certain scenes that are carried by dialog would seem over-long, but the thread of the story is carried by the imagery nonetheless.

In its own way, each film is beautifully photographed. And the visual presentation of each holds up to scrutiny today.

The Future Unreels
Gort

Post by Gort » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:59 pm

Aight! Lunch is almost ready. That's enough for today. :D

The Future Unreels
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:00 am

I really enjoyed this latest batch of essays. I will (eventually) watch the Dorian Grays so I can say more. :P
Cabin in the Sky-An Autumn Afternoon-Us-Women in New York

Voyage | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Sono | My Bookshelf
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:36 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:I really enjoyed this latest batch of essays. I will (eventually) watch the Dorian Grays so I can say more. :P
Thank you. I'll be looking forward to your opinions and thoughts about those films. And, uhm, any of the others that you want to comment on. :)

The Future Unreels
Mod Hip

Post by Mod Hip » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:48 am

An excellent page of insight. As usual with Gort posts, however, the topics are covered so thoroughly I can hardly think of anything to add. Not that I've seen more than 3 of the films up for discussion, anyhow.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:18 pm

YouTookMyName wrote:Thank you. I'll be looking forward to your opinions and thoughts about those films. And, uhm, any of the others that you want to comment on. :)
Ah, yes. The others. :P I am making progress! I think I've seen one out of every matchup, though some were long ago.

YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:34 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:Ah, yes. The others. :P I am making progress! I think I've seen one out of every matchup, though some were long ago.
I understand. As I admitted in this post,
YTMN wrote:It has been so long since I watched some of these films that my memory of them is fading. I suppose I need to engineer a few re-watches. I found a source through Amazon for the 3-film set of The Maltese Falcon, and as the price had risen by $1.50 since the last time I checked, I ordered it on Thanksgiving. While I was at it I ordered the KINO Nosferatu, and Herzog's films, plus the two Dorian Gray movies. Now I can watch segments of each film in the Rematches in order to keep them fresh in my mind as I proceed. I think that's worth about $65.00.
I really need to watch all the Maltese Falcon versions again before I write comparative essays. And even the finer details of The Planet of the Apes movies have left me. To do legitimate comparisons of the two Day the Earth Stood Still movies I'll have to rewatch them--which will be a pleasure for the 1951 version, but I'll have to watch that stinker from 2008 again. My mom watched it on TV recently and said she couldn't figure out what was going on.

I'm still hoping that someone will read this thread who likes the 2008 TDtESS film, and will defend it. It sells well on DVD, so somebody likes it.

The Nosferatu flicks are all just fine films, and watching them again to write essays from will be a joy. I don't mind either Dorian Gray, as well, so that won't be much of a chore.

Anyhow, that's why I just decided to buy DVDs of all the movies that I don't already own. My stupid obsession with accuracy and detail! :D

I keep making notes of possible additional rematches to start once I get these five all posted. I missed my Halloween season target for the vampire and haunted painting pix. Maybe if I pick one out for next year I can get everything for it done in advance, so it can go up during October! What an idea.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:44 pm

Mod Hip wrote:An excellent page of insight. As usual with Gort posts, however, the topics are covered so thoroughly I can hardly think of anything to add. Not that I've seen more than 3 of the films up for discussion, anyhow.
Drat! Even when I asked questions at the end of them it didn't foment much discussion. At least Kurz had a response, and you responded, although not in a way to get a rousing conversation going. :up:

......................................................................................

Of all the films, which ones have you seen and not seen? (this question is actually for anyone else reading, too):
Romeo and Juliet: 1968 -- 1996

The Time Machine: 1960 -- 2002

Dorian Gray: 1945 -- 2009

Nosferatu: 1922 -- 1979

The Day the Earth Stood Still: 1951 -- 2008

Lord of the Flies: 1963 -- 1990

The Maltese Falcon: 1931 -- 1936 -- 1941

Planet of the Apes: 1968 -- 2001

The Future Unreels
Quite-Gone Genie

Post by Quite-Gone Genie » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:52 pm

"So, you see, he was condemned to walk in darkness a quadrillion kilometres (we've adopted the metric system, you know)..."
The Devil, The Brothers Karamazov
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:16 pm

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:Romeo and Juliet: 1968 -- 1996

See, Mod, Genie's only seen 7 of them.

So, Genie, you're only a Nosferatu completist. Have you seen Shadow of the Vampire? I actually saw that a couple years before I saw the Herzogs.

The Future Unreels
Quite-Gone Genie

Post by Quite-Gone Genie » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:43 pm

YouTookMyName wrote: See, Mod, Genie's only seen 7 of them.

So, Genie, you're only a Nosferatu completist. Have you seen Shadow of the Vampire? I actually saw that a couple years before I saw the Herzogs.
I have not seen that one yet, but the cast looks impressive.
"So, you see, he was condemned to walk in darkness a quadrillion kilometres (we've adopted the metric system, you know)..."
The Devil, The Brothers Karamazov
Colonel Kurz

Post by Colonel Kurz » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:04 pm

YouTookMyName wrote:Of all the films, which ones have you seen and not seen? (this question is actually for anyone else reading, too):
Only these:

The Maltese Falcon: 1941

Planet of the Apes: 1968
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:14 pm

Romeo and Juliet: 1996

The Time Machine: 2002

Dorian Gray: 2009

Nosferatu: 1979

The Day the Earth Stood Still: 1951

Lord of the Flies: 1963

YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:20 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:Romeo and Juliet: 1996

The Time Machine: 2002

Dorian Gray: 2009

Nosferatu: 1979

The Day the Earth Stood Still: 1951

Lord of the Flies: 1963

Maiden sets the record with one view each from the 8 pairs of titles!

Are you going to write about Dorian Gray? Or simply comment after my review gets finished?

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:23 pm

Colonel Kurz wrote: Only these:

Well, this explains why you didn't have a lot of comments as I worked through re-posts of the initial three Rematches!

Did you see the KINO restoration of the 1922 Murnau?

I also noticed that you haven't written anything to support the 2008 Day the Earth Stood Still. But did you like it? I'm sure someone, somewhere does.

Are you planning to see Burton's "re-imagining" of the Apes story, by any chance?

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:29 pm

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:I have not seen that one yet, but the cast looks impressive.
I wasn't sure what to expect...just brought the DVD home from the library after reading the blurb on the box. After viewing it, I wasn't sure what it all meant! You may have read this brief review I posted at RT on 09-22-2007. Oh, hell. At 4:26 PM CST. :D Apparently the viewing conditions the night before were not optimal. I don't give anything away in that one that you wouldn't find in the blurb on the cover. Apparently I wasn't very impressed. You might want to read it after your viewing (if there is one) because my words might sway your impression.

The Future Unreels
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:46 pm

YouTookMyName wrote:Are you going to write about Dorian Gray? Or simply comment after my review gets finished?
Not sure. I'll definitely comment, at least. I'm more likely to have something worthwhile to say in the Romeo and Juliet discussion, once I see the 1968 one. Which reminds me, I miss Sonechka's Shakespeare adaptation thread. Also, I miss Sonechka.

Colonel Kurz

Post by Colonel Kurz » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:27 am

YouTookMyName wrote: Well, this explains why you didn't have a lot of comments as I worked through re-posts of the initial three Rematches!

Did you see the KINO restoration of the 1922 Murnau?

I also noticed that you haven't written anything to support the 2008 Day the Earth Stood Still. But did you like it? I'm sure someone, somewhere does.

Are you planning to see Burton's "re-imagining" of the Apes story, by any chance?
I'm not sure which version of the Murnau I saw. It wasn't my disc or my tv.

As for The Day The Earth Stood Still, here's my Dutch review.

I don't have any intention on watching the Burton, to be honest. Seems bad and redundant.

Will you do one on The Thing/From Another World at some point?
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:56 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:I'm not sure which version of the Murnau I saw. It wasn't my disc or my tv.

As for The Day The Earth Stood Still, here's my Dutch review.

I don't have any intention on watching the Burton, to be honest. Seems bad and redundant.

Will you do one on The Thing/From Another World at some point?
I would like to. There are possibly three films to consider at this point, but I'd probably keep it to the 1951 and the 1982 films.

As for the Burton Apes film, what if you would actually like it, and will miss out on a good entertainment? My review is kind of strident because when I watched it for the review, I was paying attention to everything that I didn't like. I don't think my reaction to the first viewing was quite that negative, because my young sons seemed to like it a bit. And I do like the soundtrack. Have the CD, as a matter of fact.

As for your review ... man my Nederlands is super-rusty, but by reading it aloud I think I understood a little bit. Probably not, but we'll see. I can dump the whole thing into a translation page perhaps and check my extreme lack of comprehension. :D

But I did like your comparison of the third act to a weak house of cards. I wish I'd thought of that! No wonder you get paid to write reviews and I don't.
Kurz in his review wrote:Bij de vertaling zijn ook karakters van vlees en bloed vervangen door bordkarton, is logica al snel bij het grof vuil gezet en is de derde akte in plaats van een sterke conclusie de vrije val van een fragiel kaartenhuis.
So, if I understood this at all, you're saying something about the characters in relation to something cartoon-like, and that logic is suddenly set aside and replaced with an ending that feels no stronger than a house of cards.

The translation is probably laughable, and maybe I misunderstood a verb or three there. But the language sounds neat when I try to read it aloud (while no doubt mangling pronunciation left and right)! 8-)

I agree that Cleese is used as a campy character, thwarting the attempted seriousness of the film (I hope I understood that part correctly)...but don't you think it would have been a better film with a dash more humor here and there, anyway?

And it seems that you questioned the human desire to change in this bit:
Kurz in his review wrote: Hoe moeten we veranderen als we niet eens weten dat we geacht worden dat te doen?
Did I come anywhere near what you actually wrote?

I at least think I understood correctly that Klaatu goes up into space at the end!
gaf hij het al op
In German, space, or the Universe is der All. I figured op gaffen must be to fly up. Of course it's past tense, so I don't know the correct participle. (I'm actually being quite foolish about all this attempt to understand Nederlands, but it's giving me a good sense of what my ESL students go through with my tutoring each day!)

I probably understood less than I think, so let me have the page roughly translated into English and see if I have other comments. From what I understood, you may have liked the film better than I did...or maybe not. Which means I didn't get much of certainty out of your words. But thanks for linking to the Nederlands review; it was fun to try to understand something that I could once have read fairly easily and gotten at least 50% of it. Now, I think I get only about 10%. Sheesh.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:59 am

I decided you'd get a kick out of what Babelfish did with your page, so I'm posting it here. I think when I click away from teh page the text will disappear.
Babelfished Kurz review wrote:Control: Scott Derrickson | Cast: Keanu Reeves (Klaatu), Jennifer Connelly (heal Benson), Jaden Smith (Jacob Benson), Kathy Bates (Regina Jackson), John Hamm (Michael Grainier), John Cleese (Professor Barnhardt) e.a. | Play time: 106 minutes | Year: 2008

Times change. In 1951 the alien came as a result of the development of the nuclear bomb in The Day the Earth Stood Still tell to Klaatu our earthlings that it had be expired be with our mutual aggression, so that never a threat would form for civilisations on other planets. In 2008 the Earth Stood Still Klaatu come in the remake van The Day tell our that planets are as the ground very rare and that if we not good look we are haasje. On these and a lot of other manners have the scenario writers the original geüpdatet to the modern time. At the translation also character of flesh is and blood replaced by millboard, logic has been rapidly put already at the grof dirt and is the third certificate instead of a strong conclusion the free fall of a fragile house of cards.

In the beginning the film has potential still only. After it has been explained during the beginning titles how Klaatu come to its human conformation, he lands in an enormous wolkachtige globe in Central Park, New York. Dr. heal Benson are with other scientists and the army on site. Still before Klaatu have stepped well and from the ball, he is already shot down. Rapidly he is removed to an underground military facility where he are human form adopts and high-speed heals. Klaatu have a message for humanity and wish all adress Heads of State at each other. An American government sales representative says that this is impossible. Using doctor Benson and evident super strengths have escaped Klaatu. Whereas a process in pace is put that will wipe out all memories to people on ground, doctor Klaatu tries of it nevertheless still persuade that we people landlord is him of the perdition be saved.

The contingency which in the first certificate already from time to time the head puts up, increases afterwards in number until them rule more earlier is than exception. The storyline becomes of it always dependenter. Beside occasional events there also characters are which only having propelling the tale aim at on itself only value. Dr. our stepson Jacob is of this in an irritating manner highest the school example: all are character traits, as far as he has that, are there only in service of the less and less logical becoming storyline, just like its operations. The lack of own character is harrowing. To a lesser degree this applies to the remaining roles. top actors such as Connelly, Bates and Hamm hardly get space to do something with their character. Cleese do what generally does Cleese and awake the impression that camp remake leuker had been then this serious film.

Reeves get still most the chance of making something of its Klaatu. That does he free stijfjes, but that is appropriate at this extraterrestrial Jesus who knows no emotions whereas he runs concerning water, people kills and she to life awakes ‘ because they form no obstacle ’. In spite of that Klaatu only logically can think, is zoeken the logic of its operations regularly far. Perhaps he acts according to an extraterrestrial sophisticated logic which we earthly film spyglasses cannot contain. A logic which explains also when the robot pearl barley does not want humanity destroy, however, and, because unless he has timer seems that rather random. Pearl barley considers moreover still the same as fifty years suffered except that he times now a lot of are larger and it has been made entirely clearly on the computer (earthly computers, welteverstaan).

Weinige credit which has the film still, is gambled entirely in the last scenes. You did not can the film nevertheless still want try there knowing more, read then further.

The only way humanity can be still saved, is as Dr. Benson Klaatu of it can persuade that people more are than an aggressive, short-sighted race which cannot change. That does them eventually in a tenenkrommend sentimental scene in which its stiefzoontje accept the death of its father and the love of its mantle. The ropy klefheid of this scene splash repugnantly from the baffle. This nou is the other side of people who this way saving landlord is?

Rather professor Barnhardt Klaatu that people told in the film, however, can change, but to this end just able is if they stand on the abyss. In a or other manner persuade water of the family Benson Klaatu of this at the last moment. Logic? Perhaps where he comes from, however. Even that case Klaatu if he returns of its boss a scolding must get or perhaps even dismissals becomes. He has explained only three people why they were eradicated. After one time one someone for telling with representatives of the world population speak to want, gave up he it already.

It will destroy logical be as Klaatu us afterwards really, but he does not do that. A part of the human world can be then devastated, almost nobody weet this something has whom to do with the way people handle the ground. How do we do have change if we not even know that we are considered that to do? Will the world population listen suddenly to two scientists and one child? We can expect that Klaatu or colleague return soon to finish the job. To let we hope that no film is there however made concerning.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:14 am

Some of that translation is really bizarre. "Third act" becomes "Third certificate"! "Gort" becomes "pearl barley" (I think I can understand that one). And there were a few words that I could translate, or thought I could, that Babelfish didn't make any attempt at. "Wolkactige" globe might be "energy globe." Although I'm not sure. It contains "Wolk," maybe "volk" or "people."

But I did get the gist of a lot of this. I understood the sentence mis-translated as "The ropy klefheid of this scene splash repugnantly from the baffle." as something to do with the the climax of the scene, and "like muddy drops off an umbrella". Right?

I love the imagery there.

Yeah, I didn't think about how quickly Klaatu abandoned his desire to talk to representatives of the world, and just decided to pull the plug. And Barnhardt did intimate that people will only change if they are forced to...not that Klaatu is sparing the force, but that being forced also kind of puts us off in general. I like your thought that Klaatu might be in trouble with his overlords when he gets back home, too!

Yes, who would we listen to? What would persuade us to treat the earth differently? And I understand the "change" sentence quite differently now: how can we change if we don't know that change is required of us, or what kind of change we should make?

You have added points that I didn't think of as I wrote my review. Thanks.

The Future Unreels
Hank

Post by Hank » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:37 pm

That's what I've seen...... all the others are on my queue. But between watching for Inspired By... and also getting films my wife would like to watch, I just haven't got to them yet.
Colonel Kurz

Post by Colonel Kurz » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:51 pm

Ha, direction becomes control. So many weird translations in that one...

A wolk is a cloud. ;)

Yeah, my thoughts are exactly that Cleese shows a more campy, fun interpretation would've been better. :P

Oh, and I just thought you'd read the star grade, this is awesome!
Hank

Post by Hank » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:34 pm

Colonel Kurz wrote:Ha, direction becomes control. So many weird translations in that one...

A wolk is a cloud. ;)

Yeah, my thoughts are exactly that Cleese shows a more campy, fun interpretation would've been better. :P

I just took the time to read Gort's post and hahaha... that translation is, well... pretty amazing.

I'm going to imagine you talking like that from now on. :P
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:22 pm

I don’t know why it’s taken me so long to watch the 1968 Romeo and Juliet. The paperback copy I first read had Olivia Hussey on the cover, so, watching, it had the feeling of my own imagining behind it. I hadn’t seen the 1996 in years, so I rewatched that, too. I love modernizations of Shakespeare, and Luhrmann’s has a beautiful enthusiasm, pulsing energy, and When Doves Cry! It also has a wonderful Friar Lawrence and the far better Mercutio (which counts for a lot)! But Zeffirelli’s is almost perfect in every other way; I really loved it.
YouTookMyName wrote:Leo DiCaprio had more trouble with his Shakespearean lines than anyone else in either cast. It wasn't that he failed often with inflection, but that his naturalistic acting style made it seem like he was thinking, "Damn, people just don't talk like this!" a lot of the time
I have to agree. DiCaprio brought some some strengths to the role (though I caught glimpses of Arnie Grape once or twice). But he said the lines without conviction too much of the time.

I enjoyed your comparison of the final death scenes:
YouTookMyName wrote:Each in its own way is an astonishingly appropriate staging of Shakespeare’s scripted death scene. Of course, the heart-ripping irony of Luhrmann’s order of events cannot be denied. But somehow, when I watched these films back-to-back (literally on the same day) the staging in Zeffirelli’s version brought me to tears, while Lurhmann’s death scene merely made me feel incredibly empty this time.
I agree that the Zeffirelli death scene is stronger, not because I have purist leanings about the staging (though I guess I sort of do), but because the actors are stronger. I have nothing against Danes, but Hussey is perfect here as she is throughout. Also the more Shakespeare, the better, as far as I’m concerned. There’s no fat to cut in this scene at least.

As for your questions about Mercutio in the Lurhmann version, I think... it doesn't matter. I love everything about Perrineau's interpretation of this role!

Link back to the essays:

YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:24 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:I don’t know why it’s taken me so long to watch the 1968 Romeo and Juliet. The paperback copy I first read had Olivia Hussey on the cover, so, watching, it had the feeling of my own imagining behind it. I hadn’t seen the 1996 in years, so I rewatched that, too. I love modernizations of Shakespeare, and Luhrmann’s has a beautiful enthusiasm, pulsing energy, and When Doves Cry! It also has a wonderful Friar Lawrence and the far better Mercutio (which counts for a lot)! But Zeffirelli’s is almost perfect in every other way; I really loved it.
When I watched both versions together that one day three years ago, I remember thinking that they are both such strong presentations of the play, that neither is actually better than the other...they are merely different. Could you agree with that? I might not if I watched them right now.

But it was when I was making the original Rematch thread for R&J that I came to actually love the Luhrmann film. I had liked it from the first viewing, but I began to focus on it in a new way, and came to understand everything that Baz did (or I thought I could) and why it works so well. Still, the prejudice I had from seeing the 1968 version as a 10th grader was hard to shake. I'll admit it. There was a kind of quiet gasp in the theater, which was filled with Memphis, TN English class students that day, when Whiting stood up from the bed and walked over to look out the window of the bridal suite! It was one of those moments that people never forget. I felt embarrassed, and liberated, and all sorts of things all at once. Bare bottoms in Shakespeare? Why, hellz yeah! Hellz yeah!! Of course no one shouted that, because it would be an expression that our children would eventually use. But I'm sure we thought it.

I can't remember if one of my essays or reviews points out that Zef's imagining of the play was totally different from any Shakespeare I had ever seen. Suddenly, the dusty old Bard's work could be seen as alive and interesting. What an amazing change to happen to a kid in one afternoon. The bare ass just proved that the mould was really broken, and there would never be any turning back.
Shieldmaiden wrote:I have to agree. DiCaprio brought some some strengths to the role (though I caught glimpses of Arnie Grape once or twice). But he said the lines without conviction too much of the time.
The kid should have at least gotten an Academy nomination for Arnie. Yeah, I hadn't thought of that, but I think that's what had me feeling a little discombobulated in the scene where Romeo collapses to his knees in exile and cries. It was Arnie.
Shieldmaiden wrote:I enjoyed your comparison of the final death scenes:
I agree that the Zeffirelli death scene is stronger, not because I have purist leanings about the staging (though I guess I sort of do), but because the actors are stronger. I have nothing against Danes, but Hussey is perfect here as she is throughout. Also the more Shakespeare, the better, as far as I’m concerned. There’s no fat to cut in this scene at least.
Perhaps that death scene is stronger as well because the actress is slightly older, and can portray a teenager with a bit more conviction. Hindsight does add a bit to one's understanding of self, don't you think? And Hussey was more prepared to play Juliet. So she seems more real, although I still prefer Danes's bubble-head Juliet, because she is so much like teenage girls I have been around. Hussey's Juliet actually conveys the feelings of that moment ten times better.
Shieldmaiden wrote:As for your questions about Mercutio in the Lurhmann version, I think... it doesn't matter. I love everything about Perrineau's interpretation of this role!
There you have it, then! His death as Mercutio isn't quite as strong, though. That's the only place where I would say he isn't the equal of the other actor. He's superior in the Queen Mab speech, for sure. And I just enjoy the rollicking-good-time nature of the Luhrmann Mercutio. Because ... these boys are out for a lark, which is why they're even bothering to attend the ball in the first place. It's adolescent rebellion at its finest. And Mercutio is in the spirit all the way, whether part of his bravado comes from chemicals or not.

Link back to the essays:

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:27 am

Hank wrote: I just took the time to read Gort's post and hahaha... that translation is, well... pretty amazing.

I'm going to imagine you talking like that from now on. :P
If you could hear the actual Dutch you'd be impressed. It is one hell of a cool-sounding language...to American ears, at least. It probably just sounds like people speaking normally to Kurz. :D

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:29 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:Ha, direction becomes control. So many weird translations in that one...

A wolk is a cloud. ;)

Ja, und auch auf Deutsch. "Die Wolken" sind "the clouds" auf English.

I just forgot that, while I was grooving on the Nederlands. It's been nearly 35 years. I suppose I'm allowed to forget a few dozen things here and there. 8-)

The Future Unreels
Colonel Kurz

Post by Colonel Kurz » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:34 am

I was still impressed. :) And yeah, I never thought of Dutch as particularly cool-sounding.
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:34 am

Hank wrote:Romeo and Juliet: 1968 -- 1996

That's what I've seen...... all the others are on my queue. But between watching for Inspired By... and also getting films my wife would like to watch, I just haven't got to them yet.
You've seen more than I thought you had, as it is. So, you even have the disc with the earlier Maltese Falcons on the way, eh? Obviously I shall be robbed of dreiser's actual responses to them forever, so maybe I can hear yours. As it is, I'm the only person I know of who has watched those films!

I'm eagerly awaiting your sense about the two Lord of the Flies flicks. I can't recall whether you told me that you've read the novel, or not. And I'll stand by to hear what you think of crazy Werner's vampire movie. I'll bet you like it. But, I could be wrong.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:36 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:I was still impressed. :) And yeah, I never thought of Dutch as particularly cool-sounding.
By accident of birth you have been robbed. Trust me. Dutch has the most beautiful "o" sounds of any language I've ever heard or tried to learn some of.

The Future Unreels
Colonel Kurz

Post by Colonel Kurz » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:40 am

O? Oh. Cool or... kool? Kolen? Nooit opgevallen. I do know you might have trouble with our guttural G. :P
Hank

Post by Hank » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:48 am

YouTookMyName wrote: You've seen more than I thought you had, as it is. So, you even have the disc with the earlier Maltese Falcons on the way, eh? Obviously I shall be robbed of dreiser's actual responses to them forever, so maybe I can hear yours. As it is, I'm the only person I know of who has watched those films!

I'm eagerly awaiting your sense about the two Lord of the Flies flicks. I can't recall whether you told me that you've read the novel, or not. And I'll stand by to hear what you think of crazy Werner's vampire movie. I'll bet you like it. But, I could be wrong.
Lord of the Flies is a film I've always meant to see... but it just keeps getting pushed back.

I was lucky enough to see The Maltese Falcon '41 on the big screen a couple years ago. Greatness.

The only of these I own is the '68 flick about apes.
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:08 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:O? Oh. Cool or... kool? Kolen? Nooit opgevallen. I do know you might have trouble with our guttural G. :P
Nah, because I can say "Buch" properly. Also, I was taught how to pronounce a nederlands G by a Dutchman, who was my favorite German teacher.

I like the phrase that was on my Tee Set LP album, the one that you said I had largely misunderstood: goit hoge ogen. Three nederlands O sounds in a row. It's beautiful. Also, three G's! :up: :up: :up:

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:12 am

Hank wrote: Lord of the Flies is a film I've always meant to see... but it just keeps getting pushed back.

I was lucky enough to see The Maltese Falcon '41 on the big screen a couple years ago. Greatness.

The only of these I own is the '68 flick about apes.
Wow. From a 35mm print? Was it a really large screen? That must have been magnificent.

I saw it projected onto a class-room size screen for my first exposure to it, at least. Better than first seeing it on a TV screen.

The Future Unreels
Colonel Kurz

Post by Colonel Kurz » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:13 am

YouTookMyName wrote: Nah, because I can say "Buch" properly. Also, I was taught how to pronounce a nederlands G by a Dutchman, who was my favorite German teacher.

I like the phrase that was on my Tee Set LP album, the one that you said I had largely misunderstood: goit hoge ogen. Three nederlands O sounds in a row. It's beautiful. Also, three G's! :up: :up: :up:
I've never heard an American say the name of my home city, Utrecht (or as some locals call it, Utereg/Utreg) in a way that sounds natural. You'd be the first. :)
Hank

Post by Hank » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:14 am

YouTookMyName wrote: Wow. From a 35mm print? Was it a really large screen? That must have been magnificent.

I saw it projected onto a class-room size screen for my first exposure to it, at least. Better than first seeing it on a TV screen.
I saw it here. I assume it was a 35mm print.
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:34 am

Hank wrote: I saw it here. I assume it was a 35mm print.
Oh, it's not that far from where you live. About like a drive across metro Memphis. I'd say that was probably from a 35mm print. Oh, it must have been lovely.

That theater looks really cool. So, do y'all take the kiddies there for performances, or the educational tours? Do elementary and Middle School kids get to take field trips any more?

EDIT: I had fun with their interactive seating chart previews!

The Future Unreels
Hank

Post by Hank » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:05 am

YouTookMyName wrote: Oh, it's not that far from where you live. About like a drive across metro Memphis. I'd say that was probably from a 35mm print. Oh, it must have been lovely.

That theater looks really cool. So, do y'all take the kiddies there for performances, or the educational tours? Do elementary and Middle School kids get to take field trips any more?

EDIT: I had fun with their interactive seating chart previews!
It was quite lovely, indeed. Before the show they had a organist playing for the crowd. We like going there for the live shows too.

I don't think our students go there for school, although they do have field trips. Most already go there for the shows, I would think.

The seating chart is fun. We always sit in the balcony in the 'blue' section, right above the balcony entry ways. We've tried many spots, but those are the favs. for two reasons: 1. cheapest price 2. leg room because you have the rail in front of you rather than a person's head.

The only issue we have ever had with those seats is kind of a funny one... we were seeing a live performance of Disney's Beauty and the Beast... wonderful except for when Beast knocks Gaston off the roof. We could see him land on a crash mat and the stage hands pull him off stage from our angle. :P
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:15 am

Hank wrote: It was quite lovely, indeed. Before the show they had a organist playing for the crowd. We like going there for the live shows too.

I don't think our students go there for school, although they do have field trips. Most already go there for the shows, I would think.

The seating chart is fun. We always sit in the balcony in the 'blue' section, right above the balcony entry ways. We've tried many spots, but those are the favs. for two reasons: 1. cheapest price 2. leg room because you have the rail in front of you rather than a person's head.

The only issue we have ever had with those seats is kind of a funny one... we were seeing a live performance of Disney's Beauty and the Beast... wonderful except for when Beast knocks Gaston off the roof. We could see him land on a crash mat and the stage hands pull him off stage from our angle. :P
Kind of messed up your willing suspension of disbelief, or I'd imagine so.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:18 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:I've never heard an American say the name of my home city, Utrecht (or as some locals call it, Utereg/Utreg) in a way that sounds natural. You'd be the first. :)
I might have a German accent if I said it to you. My next door neighbor, a German woman, says that I don't have an American accent when I speak German. I asked her what I sound like, and she named a small geographic area where I sound like I'm from. This puzzled me for a few days, but then I decided that the language tapes that I learned to pronounce German from must have been recorded by people from that area. I imitated them, and by doing so, picked up their regional accent.

If I were to read some Dutch to you aloud, I'm pretty sure you'd have trouble understanding what the real words were. :D I'm pretty sure my inflection would be all wrong.

The Future Unreels
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:46 am

YouTookMyName wrote:When I watched both versions together that one day three years ago, I remember thinking that they are both such strong presentations of the play, that neither is actually better than the other...they are merely different. Could you agree with that? I might not if I watched them right now.
I definitely enjoy and appreciate them both. The strength of the two central performances gives Zeffirelli's the edge for me. Beyond that it's more a matter of personal preferences.
YTMN wrote:I can't remember if one of my essays or reviews points out that Zef's imagining of the play was totally different from any Shakespeare I had ever seen. Suddenly, the dusty old Bard's work could be seen as alive and interesting. What an amazing change to happen to a kid in one afternoon. The bare ass just proved that the mould was really broken, and there would never be any turning back.
It really is the opposite of stuffy. I'm thinking of Mercutio in the fountain, and the dance with the bells, and that lovely scene where Romeo runs through the forest after leaving Juliet's balcony. It's so full of life!
YTMN wrote:Perhaps that death scene is stronger as well because the actress is slightly older, and can portray a teenager with a bit more conviction. Hindsight does add a bit to one's understanding of self, don't you think? And Hussey was more prepared to play Juliet. So she seems more real, although I still prefer Danes's bubble-head Juliet, because she is so much like teenage girls I have been around. Hussey's Juliet actually conveys the feelings of that moment ten times better.
Hussey was certainly perfect in the role. I'm not sure that she was older than Danes, though. She wasn't 17 yet when the film premiered if IMDb is to be believed.
YTMN wrote:There you have it, then! His death as Mercutio isn't quite as strong, though. That's the only place where I would say he isn't the equal of the other actor.
Perrineau's Mercutio is sweeter and less belligerent, so I felt his death more strongly, even though the scene was a bit rushed.

By the way, I really enjoyed watching these films back-to-back. Remake rematches are fun!

Link back to the essays:

Colonel Kurz

Post by Colonel Kurz » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:27 am

YouTookMyName wrote: I might have a German accent if I said it to you. My next door neighbor, a German woman, says that I don't have an American accent when I speak German. I asked her what I sound like, and she named a small geographic area where I sound like I'm from. This puzzled me for a few days, but then I decided that the language tapes that I learned to pronounce German from must have been recorded by people from that area. I imitated them, and by doing so, picked up their regional accent.

If I were to read some Dutch to you aloud, I'm pretty sure you'd have trouble understanding what the real words were. :D I'm pretty sure my inflection would be all wrong.
Inversely, I spent part of saturday night trying to understand Germans making their way through the English language and getting the pronounciation wrong. :P
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:56 pm

I have no idea why I thought this was a big enough deal for a post, but:

I now own DVDs or Blu-rays of all the movies in the Rematches, so if I need to look at one I don't have to think, "Crap, I returned that to Netflix." :D

The Future Unreels