Maiden's Voyage

Discuss anything you want.
Bandy Greensacks

Re: Maiden's Voyage

Post by Bandy Greensacks » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:54 pm

I love Un Lac and Grandrieux. His films are so... pure, if that makes sense. Always great sound design and editing.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:10 pm

Trip wrote:not enough plot or psychologising
Plot. Heh.
Epistemophobia wrote:That lake is my mind.
I didn't even think about the lake, and it's the title. My mind is a swamp evidently.
Bandy Greensacks wrote:His films are so... pure, if that makes sense.
That does make sense!

This movie was extremely hard to write about. It made me write poetry, for crying out loud. What a strange effect!
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:44 pm

Although it's been said many times, many ways – Merry Christmas to you.
Happy Sunday... afternoon.
Fist

Post by Fist » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:38 pm

:)
I Watch Films, But...
In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr
Derninan

Post by Derninan » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:53 am

Merry Christmas, Maiden!

Here's some awesome stuff to look at and admire.
Shieldmaiden

Maiden's Voyage: Love Exposure

Post by Shieldmaiden » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:12 am

A Christmas present! These are awesome, thanks, Dern. I love the umbrella tree... one of the simplest ones, but it makes me happy.

Another Christmas present:

Love Exposure finally has a Region 1 dvd, and I finally own it. I’m happy to say it still feels much shorter than its four hours. How does it do that? Is it just the craziness, the unexpected juxtaposition of Beethoven, Bible, street brawl, and cross dressing? Is it pure entertainment or is it a triumph of technique?

I’ve had so much fun watching this movie that I’ve hesitated to assign it any weight or meaning. It’s a cartoon, a rollercoaster, a recreational drug. But it has an effect on me beyond the temporary thrill, so I attempted to watch it this time with a more analytical eye. It’s easy to get distracted by the frenetic twists that ease but never mask the dark things on screen. Because it is dark; there are horrors here, and people are abusive, hypocritical, violent, cruel. And while there are some cartoonish portrayals in the film, Sono is at his best when showing us the flaws and motivations of real people – weak, broken, struggling to survive and improve.

But, I got distracted again. All this may explain why it’s constantly amusing, but not why I love it so much. And, honestly, I think the reason is simple. I love it because Yu is steadfast, and Yoko changes; because love conquers not only misunderstandings and anger, but child abuse, brainwashing, and insanity. Love Exposure may have a new way of telling the story, but it’s a deeply familiar story. It preaches to the part of me that still believes in love, that small, hidden part that longs to awaken, to rise to the occasion. Apparently I’m not as cynical as I like to think I am.
Shieldmaiden

Maiden's Voyage: First seen in 2011

Post by Shieldmaiden » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:14 am

I posted the following in the Lists thread, but I'd like it to be here, too:

Best films first seen in

This year, I watched 154 films for the first time. I think I’m losing the knack of list-making, though. All that Fassbinder, for instance; as a body of work they surely belong at the top, but how to rank the individual films? I have a clear favorite four for the year maybe, and after that, just a bunch of really great films. (Starred links take you out of the thread.)

2 Birds Orphans Fools
3 Transe
4 Visitor of a Museum

5-30:
Marriage of Maria BraunMarseille* ▪ The Lonely Voice of Man
In a Year with 13 MoonsEnter the Void* ▪ Dogtooth ▪ The Servant
A Man Escaped ▪ The Third GenerationMoloch ▪ Exotica ▪ Un lac
Romeo and Juliet ▪ The Passenger ▪ Senso ▪ Berlin Alexanderplatz
To the Left of the Father ▪ The Tree of Life ▪ The Gold Diggers
The Temptation of St. TonyThe Conformist ▪ Nights of Cabiria
The Rules of the Game ▪ Mournful UnconcernMontenegro ▪ M

My other year-end lists: 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010.
Willow

Post by Willow » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:18 am

I was also excited to see that finally get a region 1 dvd release. I plan on buying it soon.
recently seen
Gun Crazy (Joseph H. Lewis, 1950)
Sansho the Baliff (Mizoguchi, 1954)
Outer Space (Tscherkassky, 1999)
Seven Chances (Keaton, 1925)
Battleship Potemkin (Eisenstein, 1925)

My Random Screencaps blog
Trip

Post by Trip » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:32 am

Nice piece.
Please TRIP and Die
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:56 am

Trip wrote:Nice piece.
:heart:

Does anyone not like Love Exposure? I'm trying to get a non cinephile to watch it. I can't imagine hating it, but...
elixir

Post by elixir » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:58 am

Shieldmaiden wrote: :heart:

Does anyone not like Love Exposure? I'm trying to get a non cinephile to watch it. I can't imagine hating it, but...
Well, I quite like it myself, but I don't really have a hard time imagining that others would hate it, or at least feel off its wavelength...I like what you have to say about it. :)
Trip

Post by Trip » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:02 am

I found it amusing at best. Sorry.
Please TRIP and Die
elixir

Post by elixir » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:04 am

Trip wrote:I found it amusing at best. Sorry.
Apologizing as if anyone cares.
Fist

Post by Fist » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:04 am

Nice write-up. I really don't like it though. Starts off tedious, and then it's like 10 more hours.
I Watch Films, But...
In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr
Trip

Post by Trip » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:04 am

elixir wrote: Apologizing as if anyone cares.
haha right
Please TRIP and Die
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:05 am

Trip wrote:I found it amusing at best. Sorry.
Why sorry? That's what I wanted to know.
Magic Fister wrote:Nice write-up. I really don't like it though. Starts off tedious, and then it's like 10 more hours.
Ha. And so is that!
Shieldmaiden

Maiden's Voyage: Women in Korean film

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:07 am

I’ve watched several Korean films lately, and realized that I haven’t yet mentioned my enthusiasm for Korean film in this thread. It’s a qualified enthusiasm; I’m sure no one will be surprised to learn that I’m not a big fan of Korean horror or revenge thrillers (though I’ve enjoyed examples of each). And I’m even less fond of weepy Korean melodramas. But the films I do love, I love dearly, due to a disarming frankness about life and love, an offbeat humor that lightens even the darkest topics, and some surprisingly rich portraits of women – a credit to their (mostly) male directors, especially considering the notorious chauvinism of Korean culture. The women in my favorite Korean films aren’t showy, or extroverted, or particularly self-confident. They’re flawed, and well aware of their weaknesses. But they’re also striving to be honest with themselves and those around them; they’re always searching for something, for happiness or justice. They’re a lot like me, in other words. So, it’s a given that the two films below feature complex female characters, but they also share a quality that’s harder to describe – a certain sweetness, tempered with realism and unpredictability, and bolstered by an almost total lack of sentimentality.

Image Image

Woman on the Beach is something special. It may seem like a light-hearted ramble through a resort town, but little things – Mun-sook’s cough, the dog on the beach, the recurring motifs, the delicate way the conversation weaves in and out of the drama, the brief melodies that act as a very simple score – all add up to a carefully crafted work. It’s a thing of beauty!

I’ve spoken elsewhere about my frustrations with Hong Sang-soo, but I have to admit that something always keeps me coming back, trying again, hoping for a crack in his male miserabilism. In this film, I found it. Mun-sook is a wonderful character. She isn’t a victim, or a source of male guilt, or a pawn in a game of perspectives, she’s charming and goofy and interesting. And she’s not the only one; Joong-rae is charming in his own right, even when he’s acting like an idiot. And, I appreciate the irony (so common in Hong’s films) added by Joong-rae’s profession when he turns out to be just as prejudiced as the men Mun-sook is used to. “You’re different from your films,” she says, sadly. “Sorry, but you’re actually just another Korean man.” All this makes for a film that’s more funny, light-hearted, and traditionally satisfying than I expected. Not that it ends with a “happy ever after,” and I don’t want it to, despite my silly romanticism a couple posts back. Instead, our two characters undergo catharsis and understand themselves a little better than they did at the beginning. What more can you ask?

• Image Image
Girls’ Night Out – A Bear recommendation this time, and it’s delightful! I enjoyed Im Sang-soo’s The President’s Last Bang and, to a lesser extent, The Housemaid, but nothing in either one prepared me for the convincing female perspective of this one. It’s a story of three friends on a quest for sexual satisfaction (without being prurient or sensational), and, at the same time, it’s a sweet romantic comedy (without being sentimental or predictable). The three women at its heart are very different from each other: one a virgin, one a party girl, the third in an unsatisfying relationship. Perhaps it takes all three points of view to achieve the realistic perspective I crave. In fact, it occurred to me while watching that, at one point or another, I’ve been all three!

While all three have interesting stories to tell, we probably spend the most time with Yeon, who begins the film as the most conservative, unhappy, and (maybe) least likeable of the three. But, as we get to see her vulnerabilities and desires, she becomes someone to understand and to root for, and her small, hard-won success at the end fills me with joy.

This film has a lot of ground to cover, and does it so unobtrusively I didn’t even notice till the second time around. Somehow it maintains the leisurely pace of a lazy conversation among friends. And speaking of which, I just realized that I misled you earlier. Despite all the discussion of orgasms, this movie isn't actually about sex (or romance). It’s about friendship. Forget the Bechdel test; this is the real thing.
Unreliable Narrator

Post by Unreliable Narrator » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:37 am

Interesting. I watched Hahaha recently, which is a curious mixture of hope, cynicism and frustration, which made it difficult to evaluate as a whole. I don't think there's a male character in that film that isn't constantly being undermined by their own actions; they're all walking contradictions, completely unstable. Woman on the Beach sounds like it would be easier to appreciate.
Epistemophobia

Post by Epistemophobia » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:46 am

I was worried that was a risky recommendation, but I'm glad it worked out. :) I need to explore more Sang-soo Im.
Epistemophobia

Re: Maiden's Voyage: Girls’ Night Out and Woman on the Beach

Post by Epistemophobia » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:48 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:a certain sweetness, tempered with realism and unpredictability, and bolstered by an almost total lack of sentimentality.
This is a perfect description that I'd not quite realised before.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:41 am

Unreliable Narrator wrote:Interesting. I watched Hahaha recently, which is a curious mixture of hope, cynicism and frustration, which made it difficult to evaluate as a whole. I don't think there's a male character in that film that isn't constantly being undermined by their own actions; they're all walking contradictions, completely unstable. Woman on the Beach sounds like it would be easier to appreciate.
Frustration is a Hong specialty, for sure. But it's almost absent in this one.
Epistemophobia wrote:This is a perfect description that I'd not quite realised before.
:)

It was so beautiful, too. It makes Woman on the Beach look even more pedestrian, showing them together like that. Anyway, thank you for the recommendation! :heart:
Shieldmaiden

Maiden's Voyage: Korean top ten

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:20 am

Maybe it would be appropriate to list my ten favorite Korean films here:
Lady Vengeance (pictured above) – I feel like so much has been said about this one already, but I love Geum-ja, for the way she thinks and takes control of her life. This film is probably the closest I've come to the cartharsis other people describe getting from horror films. I go through the emotional wringer every time I watch it – through horror, anger, revulsion, lust for revenge, and, finally, bittersweet relief. I doubt I'd reap the same benefits (or love Geum-ja nearly so much) if this were simply a tale of victimhood and revenge. Instead, the focus is on her complex inner history, her struggle with guilt, and the question of whether redemption is truly possible.

Woman on the Beach – Such an immensely likeable film by Hong Sang-soo! (I never thought I’d hear myself say that.) I love its slightly bittersweet take on relationships. More above.

I’m a Cyborg, but That’s OK – I love this colorful, crazy love story set in a psychiatric hospital, with stylistic flourishes worthy of a modern fairy tale. Some people find the comedy-pathos blend uneasy, but I like the way events are distorted through the lens of illness without ever losing sight of what’s at stake. Pictures here.

Girls’ Night Out – This one’s surprisingly sweet for a comedy about three friends who are obsessed with sex. More above.

Memories of Murder – The only film on this list that’s not about women (except as nameless victims), this is a moody, unsettling vision of a South Korea I wouldn't care to visit. But I appreciate the atmosphere and the complexity of its characters, who have a realistic tendency both to surprise and disappoint.

Secret Sunshine – Lee Chang-dong has a way of getting under my skin. This one is constantly changing gears, keeping me as off balance as its characters. Sin-ae is opaque and, let’s face it, rather unlikeable, but she’s fascinating to watch. And, while her actions may be baffling, her agony never is. Such an amazing performance by Jeon Do-yeon!

Oasis – A nightmare vision of societal failure worse than any in Memories of Murder, this film depicts two families who have deprived and mistreated the two main characters to a horrifying degree and cannot even allow the two outcasts to find solace in each other. Nothing is easy about this film, but it stayed with me long after I watched it.

Treeless Mountain (pictured below) – I believe this is what is known around here as a Jedi movie. Heartbreaking and hard to watch, it follows two young girls left with an uncaring aunt while their mother is off looking for their absent father. Both young actresses are terrific, but the older sister is so watchful and wary, it’s almost impossible to believe it isn't real.

Barking Dogs Never Bite – I found this one hilarious. It’s much better than a movie about pet-revenge-murder should be, mostly due to the ever-charming Bae Doona.

Take Care of My Cat – Another film with the great Bae Doona, this is a quiet, well-observed film about five friends struggling for success, independence, and survival. But it’s surprisingly free of clichés or sentimentality, and its drama is in the way people change, bonds weaken, friendships fail. How can anyone know who is trustworthy? Only actions will tell.
Trip

Post by Trip » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:09 am

I've only seen half of those. Are they in order?

Can I play?

Hahaha
Mother
Poetry
The Day He Arrives
Oki's Movie
Secret Sunshine
The Host
Christmas in August
Tale of Cinema
The Chaser

Take Care of My Cat is now a priority.
Please TRIP and Die
JediMoonShyne

Re: Maiden's Voyage: Korean top ten

Post by JediMoonShyne » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:47 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:I believe this is what is known around here as a Jedi movie.
Yeah, I should really get to this at some point.
“Bisogna essere molto forti per amare la solitudine.” - P.P. Pasolini

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision
Trip

Post by Trip » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:58 am

Correspondencia: Fernando Eimbcke - So Yong Kim (2011), on Surrealz. You liked Duck Season and Lake Tahoe, right Jedi?
Please TRIP and Die
JediMoonShyne

Post by JediMoonShyne » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:17 pm

Yeah, looks good.

Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:59 pm

Trip wrote:I've only seen half of those. Are they in order?
They're in order, yes. Think that means you haven't seen Girls' Night Out or Oasis. You should.

Mother
Poetry
Christmas in August
The Chaser

I like all of these, also. Not a big fan of the The Host, though. My comments on Cat are kind of useless, it'd been so long since I'd seen it. But, I think you'll like it.
JediMoonShyne wrote:Yeah, I should really get to this at some point.
It's very good.
Trip

Post by Trip » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:02 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:Think that means you haven't seen Girls' Night Out.
Bookmarked. I already have Oasis somewhere.
Please TRIP and Die
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:08 pm

Trip wrote: Bookmarked. I already have Oasis somewhere.
Circus Freak

Post by Circus Freak » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:12 pm

I watched a Korean film once.
JediMoonShyne

Post by JediMoonShyne » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:02 pm

Circus Freak wrote:I watched a Korean film once.
Prove it.

dreiser

Post by dreiser » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:35 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:Not a big fan of the The Host, though.
I really dislike that one.
"I hate the dark, the sharks liars. And the stems of cherry..."

Like Someone in Love (Kiarostami, 2012) 4/10
Killing Them Softly (Dominik, 2012) 2/10
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (Pal/Levin, 1962) 6/10
The Dark Past (Mate', 1948) 7/10
New Rose Hotel (Ferrara, 1998) 3/10
Trip

Post by Trip » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:37 pm

Everyone dislikes (most hate) The Host. Except Adrian Martin. Wonder what Beau thinks of it.
Please TRIP and Die
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:55 pm

Trip wrote:Everyone dislikes (most hate) The Host. Except Adrian Martin. Wonder what Beau thinks of it.
Oh, I thought it was popular. I think I'm a Cyborg is the most under-appreciated one on my list.
Trip

Post by Trip » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:59 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:Oh, I thought it was popular. I think I'm a Cyborg is the most under-appreciated one on my list.
It's popular, but you know what I meant.

I have not seen Cyborg. Odd, I believe it's the only feature of his I have not seen.
Please TRIP and Die
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:08 am

Trip wrote:I have not seen Cyborg. Odd, I believe it's the only feature of his I have not seen.
It's crazy and adorable. Rain sings "The Yodeling Song." If that doesn't convince you, I don't know what will. :P
B-Side

Post by B-Side » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:54 am

I love I'm a Cyborg.
no longer on hiatus from movies(!)

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd
JediMoonShyne

Post by JediMoonShyne » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:07 am

I'm not overly fond of Cyborg, but The Host is still a lot of fun.

Fist

Post by Fist » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:30 am

Found Cyborg tedious after the first half hour or so. The Host only gets better each time.
I Watch Films, But...
Vimeo / / / Flickr
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:13 pm

B-Side wrote:I love I'm a Cyborg.

It's so pretty:

Image Image
Image Image
Bandy Greensacks

Post by Bandy Greensacks » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:25 pm

I personally liked Treeless Mountain a lot more than the more well regarded and fairly similar Nobody Knows. So Yong Kim's In Between Days is probably a "Jedi film," as well.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:31 pm

Bandy Greensacks wrote:I personally liked Treeless Mountain a lot more than the more well regarded and fairly similar Nobody Knows.
Good point. So did I!
JediMoonShyne

Post by JediMoonShyne » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Why is everything a "Jedi film", these days?

I HAVE ENOUGH STUFF TO WATCH ALREADY!

Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:40 pm

JediMoonShyne wrote:Why is everything a "Jedi film", these days?

I HAVE ENOUGH STUFF TO WATCH ALREADY!
Haha! You're the one who told me to watch Treeless Mountain in the first place, you know. :P
Epistemophobia

Post by Epistemophobia » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:50 pm

I didn't know you liked Lady Vengeance so much. I should revisit it.
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:54 pm

It's not just my favorite Korean movie, but one of my all-time favorites. Top ten, probably,
Epistemophobia

Post by Epistemophobia » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:59 pm

Madness!

Time to dig for gold.
Shieldmaiden

Maiden's Voyage: Top 10 lists

Post by Shieldmaiden » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:38 pm

Epistemophobia wrote:Madness!

Time to dig for gold.
Maybe you should rewatch it first?!

Of course I haven't watched nearly as much as you have, and I admit my "list" has gotten very fluid in the last year. But if I had to name the ten I love the most at the moment, it might look like sort of like this (in no order):
  • Love Exposure
    The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
    Days of Eclipse
    Syndromes and a Century

Red Beard
    Lady Vengeance
    A Zed & Two Noughts
    My Nights Are More Beautiful Than Your Days
Or maybe like this:
  • Still Walking
    Transe
    The Philadelphia Story
    A Serious Man
    In a Year with 13 Moons
    The Bird People in China
    Henry Fool
    Beau Travail
    Birds Orphans Fools
    The Science of Sleep
Haha. I can't make lists anymore.
Epistemophobia

Post by Epistemophobia » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:00 pm

A Zed & Two Noughts. :)

Have you seen it in HD?
Shieldmaiden

Post by Shieldmaiden » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:13 pm

Epistemophobia wrote:A Zed & Two Noughts. :)
Oops. Didn't see this. I was too busy adding to my list above. :P
Have you seen it in HD?
I haven't seen anything in HD.