YTMN Presents a Remake Rematch Thread

Free and open discussion of anything that may or may not need discussing.
YouTookMyName

Re: YTMN Presents a Remake Rematch Thread

Post by YouTookMyName » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:01 pm

ImageImage Click banners below for this Round's Rematches.

ImageImage

Image Image

ImageReturn to top of thread: ImageImage
Gort/YTMN left the forum due to trolling on August 25, 2018.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels
ribbon

Post by ribbon » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:31 pm

This is a wonderful thread. Looking forward to those!
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:53 am

ribbon wrote:This is a wonderful thread. Looking forward to those!

Thanks. I'm looking forward to them, too.

Especially The Fly, right? :D

Frames have been grabbed from Rear Window.

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels
Gort

Post by Gort » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:56 am

YouTookMyName wrote:Frames have been grabbed from Rear Window.

Pleeeeze, don't post every single step!

"I copied teh grabbed frames to a backup drive."
"I posted that I had copied the frames to a backup drive."
"I posted that I had posted that I have copied the frames to a backup drive."

There would be no fricking end to it! :roll:

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:41 pm

After working out the style for the new buttons, I thought I'd go ahead and post the initial post for the Rear Window - Disturbia Rematch.

:idea: I came up with an idea that should save me some time!: I put all the buttons (both shadow and brilliant) into one PhotoBucket gallery, and now all I have to do is change one letter in the image filename in order to sub the brilliant for the shadow. That, and add the URL for the post.

Right now, I'm on schedule to post the RWD Find it links on Saturday...but that's two days away, and anything could happen! 8-)

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:42 pm

This is the initial post for The Rematch between Rear Window (1954) and Disturbia (2007)

This Rematch is complete 2 October 2012.
Selected by Hank

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Essays for Rear Window and Disturbia Rematch

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

ImageGo back using these buttons.ImageImageImageImageImage

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:55 pm

Now, I have to work into my schedule grabbing important links for CDs, and Blu-rays, and DVDs, and Netflix and so forth, so I can post them on Saturday.

And I have some essays to begin writing. :D

Oh, Netflix thought it would be awhile before the 1954 Rear Window DVD got to me, so they shipped the next DVD on my list...which is the 1998 TV remake of Rear Window with Christopher Reeve. Although it won't figure greatly in the Rematch, I can refer to it in the essays, and maybe include some comparison frame grabs. For a short time I could have both here with me!

I'm looking forward to this Rematch, but it's an experiment to see how long it will actually take to do one if I'm working primarily on that Rematch and not trying to divide my time among eight at once. I might have to reconfigure the entire schedule once I learn that. :-/

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:18 pm

I want to see how the other three upcoming initial posts look in Safari, but I'm not ready to commit to posting them, yet.
Sorry for the intrustion! I can use this post for testing and modifying them later, if I need to. And in the meantime, if you're curious, you can take a gander at the graphics.

The Fly
Fly IP build...........................................................................................................................................
[url=]

This is the initial post for The Rematch between The Fly (1958) and The Fly (1986)

This Rematch is scheduled to begin about 13 October 2012.
Selected by ribbon

ImageImageImage

Essays for the Rematch of The Fly films.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

..........................................................................................................................................................

Peter Pan
PAN IP build...........................................................................................................................................
[url=]

This is the initial post for The Rematch between Peter Pan (1924) Peter Pan (1953) and Peter Pan (2003)

This Multimatch is scheduled to begin about 24 November 2012.
Selected by Gort

ImageImageImageImage

Essays for Peter Pan Multimatch

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

..........................................................................................................................................................

Scarface
Scar IP build...........................................................................................................................................
[url=]

This is the initial post for The Rematch between Scarface (1932) and Scarface (1983)

This Quickmatch is scheduled to begin about 19 January 2013.
Selected by dreiser

ImageImageImage

Essays for the Scarface Quickmatch

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Still fooling about with my grafix and the like. These are banners for the technical information posts, which will be like essays with a lot of links in this round. Natch these are set up for the RWD Rematch. But I'm formatting to use for all.
RWD tech posts
.........................................................................................

A Comparison of Rear Window (1954) & Disturbia (2007)
The Writers

Text and images

Go back using these buttons.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

.........................................................................................

At the Helm

Text and images

Behind the Lens

Text and images

In the Cutting Room

Text and images

Design and Such

Text and images

Where Can I see It?

Text and images

Other Information on teh Netz

Text and images

Lines You Might Like

Text and images

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:42 pm

The other day I found out that you are limited to 25 URLs in a signature.

The limit, if there is one, is higher than 51 for a regular post.

I hope your scroll wheel is working well. Or that you've mastered the use of the touchpad edge to scroll your screen.

Because...because of the next post. :shifty:

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:42 pm

Where Can I See It, Read It, Hear It?

There are several sources for the pair of films being compared in this Rematch. Video versions of both films are fairly easy to find. The music is slightly more difficult to find for the 1954 film, but that may be because it is diagetic, and as such doesn't form a cohesive, listenable soundtrack. The 2007 soundtrack is available in CD format as well as the mp3s you'd expect. But it all began as a short story. And it wasn't even called "Rear Window."

The Source Story Image
Cornell Woolrich wrote a story, "It Had to be Murder" that was published in the February 1942 issue of Dime Detective Magazine under the byline William Irish. The magazine cover above is as close as I could find to the actual issue (it's from January 1942). He apparently got his idea from an H.G. Wells story entitled "Through A Window", but the Wells story wasn't used as the basis for Hitchcock's film. The story titles above link to online sources where you can read either story, if you're inclined to do that sort of thing. I'm certain that if you prefer to have an expanse of book paper in your hands, you could find someone who could make that arrangement for you, as well. But you're already here, and there are the links, just staring out the window at you.

The 1954 Film, Rear Window Image
A dozen years after Dime Detective Magazine published Woolrich's story, Alfred Hitchcock became interested in the property. He had never worked with John Michael Hayes, but Hayes intimates that Hitch (as he calls him) had been impressed with Hayes's radio scripts for some Sam Spade detective stories. He was hired to write the screenplay after Hitchcock's team read the treatment that he worked up from the short story. More about this in the essay on Writers, of course.

The film was released by Paramount in 1954, but Universal later acquired the film, re-releasing it theatrically between 1983 and 2000. People noticed that the film was deteriorating rapidly, and it was restored in 1998. If you would like to see it you could wait for a local art theater to mount a retrospective. If you don't have time to wait, and most of us don't, there are alternative sources.

ImageImageImage
So far, the film has not been released on Blu-ray, but there is an interesting image online.
Is this really an available disc, or a fake cover? (Rather obvious, isn't it?)

Image ImageImage
In September 2012 there will be a Blu-ray version available! -- but in a rather expensive set of 15 Hitchcock films.
(Saboteur / Shadow Of A Doubt / Rope / Rear Window / The Trouble With Harry / The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) / Vertigo / North By Northwest / Psycho / The Birds / Marnie / Torn Curtain / Topaz / Frenzy / Family Plot). I'd love to have it. In fact, it's in my bookmarks folder "DVDs and BRDs to buy Someday." But I'm not sure I can afford that price!

ImageImageImage
If you can be satisfied with DVD quality, there are a couple editions available.
You can always find copies at ebay. And here is the Collector's Edition in your choice of quality.
The DVD can come to you from DeepDiscount.com. You'd expect to find the DVD at Amazon, I suppose. But they have two versions, plus the one included in Alfred Hitchcock: The Essentials Collection along with Psycho, North by Northwest, Vertigo and The Birds.

ImageImageImage
Don't want to buy? Amazon offers this movie for rental on its Instant Video feature.

ImageImageImage
Netflix has the DVD only, for now. If you have Netflix, add the movie to your queue here.

Music from Rear Window
There must have been vinyl LPs with this music. But I can't find any available on the 'net. There are some used CDs for sale in a few places. Franz Waxman saw this film as an opportunity to use ambient music. Someone playing the piano (a composer), people listening to records or the radio. Mostly I found the title theme on one or two CDs and that was it.
For example, DeepDiscount.com has a few Hitchcock soundtracks, but not Rear Window. Yet, one track, "Lisa," is available on "Psycho: essential Alfred Hitchcock.

ImageImageImage
So, we'll turn once more to YouTube for the music from the 1954 film. There are a couple of clips that you can watch. For sleekness I've embedded them behind spoiler tags.

Franz Waxman "Juke Box 6"

Franz Waxman "Rear Window Main Title"

Franz Waxman "Lisa"

The 2007 film, Disturbia Image
By the reckoning of some writers Disturbia is not a remake of Rear Window. There was even a lawsuit...for a while. Yet, if you watch both films in close temporal proximity (Hey, I used 'diagetic' above. I'm delving into my 9th grade vocabulary words, here) you will have difficulty not seeing the 2007 film as a remake of the earlier film. That's because there are so many similarities in plot structure and what happens on the screen, that your brain claims borrowing at least, and if it is borrowing, a lot of it. Thus, a virtual rematch if not actual. This guy agrees. However, you are welcome to log in here and argue that Disturbia is not a remake. Oh, I guess H. G. Wells's story wasn't used for Disturbia, either.

Wanna see for yourself? Here are a few options for viewing the flick.

Here's a nostalgic image. Image
Disturbia came out when there was still HD-DVD! Do you remember HD-DVD? I'll bet you can find some HD-DVD discs on ebay, which might be handy if you still have a player. If you do, perhaps you'd like HD-DVDisturbia. But you might need to hurry, since only a few are left. Today, though, the film is available on DVD and Blu-ray. Below are links to some sources for purchasing the movie. Netflix carries both types of disc, and there is always a clip or two surfacing on YouTube.

ImageImageImage
While we're at ebay.
Amazon has Disturbia on Blu, of course. So does Barnes&Noble.
DeepDiscount.com has it in regular and import.
The Aussie version!
{After reading some of teh prices I was beginning to think that my first Blu-ray purchase is becoming an out of print collector's item or something! Not quite so expensive everywhere. Why did I buy Disturbia on Blu-ray? Because the disc was on sale for $6.99 and I wasn't sure my new computer system would allow me to play BRDs, so I didn't want to squander too much of teh cashes. I had already seen most of the film on HBO during a free preview weekend, so I more-or-less knew what I was getting movie-wise.}

ImageImageImage
You can purchase this film on DVD from Amazon.
Barnes&Noble also offers the DVD.
Your friends at ebay have a rotating collection of used DVDs, and some new. Even more over at half.com.
They have the DVD at DeepDiscount.com.

ImageImageImage
Don't want to buy? For now, this one is not available on Amazon Instant Video.

ImageImageImage
Netflix has the DVD and the Blu! If you have teh Flix, reserve the movie here. Binoculars not included.

Music from Disturbia
The soundtrack from this film features the expected pop songs, some of which are good in an alternative music sense. There may not be much you'd want to listen to often, but it could be right up your alley, in terms of musical taste.

ImageImageImage
You can find the CD in a few places. Amazon is one, of course.
Or turn your lenses toward DeepDiscount.com, who can fix you up. They even have a 12' vinyl single of the Rhiana cover song. I know some of you are party DJs, and might need it.

ImageImageImage
YouTube has the expected number of clips from this film, some of which contain the soundtrack cuts. I don't think the entire soundtrack is there, you can buy mp3s for that. Once again, a few clips and spoilertag sleekness.

disturbia -- 5 Songs (can you find five songs? or five parts?)

Taper Jean Girl - Kings of Leon

Don´t Make Me Wait -This World Fair

Geoff Zanelli - Walking Ashley home
ImageImageImage
Find the mp3 soundtrack album at Amazon. They also have the Rihanna cover single as an mp3.
All the other mp3 sources for the Disturbia soundtrack seem to be bootleg!

Do You Like Movie Posters?
There are websites with images of movie posters, but also sites where you can buy posters for your decor.

For places to buy the Disturbia poster: MovieGoods, or movieposter.com might have what you want. I didn't realize the prices were so high! I've never bought any real movie posters for my walls. You can also find Rear Window posters here, and here, but currently not at MovieGoods.

To merely look at some worldwide promotional posters for Disturbia go to movieposterdb.com. Interested in various worldwide posters for the original? movieposterdb.com! It's interesting how many different translations there are, none of which seem to be "Rear Window" in the non-English language. Yet, "la finestra sul cortile" translates as "The Rear Window!" The French title seemed to me to be "Window of the Heart" which would have been poetic, but "Fenetre sur Cour" is "Courtyard Window." Good thing I'm not trying to sell my services as a translator! (Cour is not coeur!)

ImageImageGo back using these buttons.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

The Future Unreels
Hank

Post by Hank » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:06 pm

I'd love to own that Hitchcock set at some point. I'll need to wait until it's about 75% off though. :(
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:21 pm

Hank wrote:I'd love to own that Hitchcock set at some point. I'll need to wait until it's about 75% off though. :(

"Limited Edition."

I'm not sure what that means. But it might mean that they will sell as many copies as they can for a limited period of time, and then go out of print with it, leaving people to create a "market price" for the limited number of sets made.

I don't think it will ever be affordable, and I'll probably go without something else in order to acquire it. :shifty:

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:15 pm

Current and Future Remake Rematches (Planned)

Thank you for all the nominations. In total, not counting my two screen names or nominations that I made as either of them, 88 films were nominated for dual or triple or quadruple Rematches! I've posted a little obsessively about the process of selecting them. When I got to 18 potential Rematches that are scheduled out two years in the future, I quit. There are 45 films to be watched, noted, quoted, frame-grabbed, and essayed about.

Here's the easy to read Remake Rematch Schedule. All nine Rematches are complete in Round Two, so I'm retiring this post and my sig will redirect you to a post on page 32 that will take its place for Round Three scheduling.

Round Two Begins
1-- Rear Window vs. Disturbia: Complete.
18 Aug 2012 to 2 Oct 2012. 46 days. Selected by Hank

2-- The Fly vs. The Fly: Complete.
1 Oct 2012 to 12 Nov 2012. 43 days. Selected by ribbon

3-- Peter Pan vs. Walt Disney's Peter Pan vs. Peter Pan: Complete.
3 Nov 2012 to 15 Jan 2013. 73 days. Selected by Gort

4-- Scarface vs. Scarface: Complete
2 Feb to 16 Feb 2013. 15 days. (Quickmatch). Selected by dreiser

5-- Invasion of the Body Snatchers vs. Invasion of the Body Snatchers vs. Body Snatchers vs. The Invasion: Complete.
16 Feb 2013 to 29 Mar 2013. 42 days. Selected by Colonel Kurz

6-- The Big Clock vs. No Way Out: Complete.
1 Apr 2013 to 9 Jun 2013. 70 days. Selected by Quite Gone Genie

7-- Let the Right One In vs. Let Me In: Complete.
1 Apr 2013 to 11 Jun 2013. 72 days. Selected by Ace

8-- Ossessione vs. The Postman Always Rings Twice vs. The Postman Always Rings Twice vs. Jerichow: Complete.
15 Jun 2013 to 12 Aug 2013. 61 days. Selected by charulata

9-- World on a Wire vs. The Thirteenth Floor: Complete.
17 Aug 2013 to 29 Aug 2013. 13 days. (Quickmatch). Selected by Shieldmaiden

Round Three Begins
10-- Gojira vs. Godzilla King of the Monsters vs. Godzilla:
1 Sep 2013 to 31 Oct 2013. est. 61 days. Selected by YouTookMyName

11-- The Wizard of Oz vs. The Wizard of Oz vs. The Wiz:
9 Nov 2013 to 28 Dec 2013. Selected by YouTookMyName

12-- The Philadelphia Story vs. High Society:
4 Jan 2014 to 18 Jan 2014 (Quickmatch). Selected by ribbon

13-- Rollerball vs. Rollerball:
18 Jan 2014 to 25 Jan 2014 (Quickmatch). Selected by dreiser

14-- The Blob vs. The Blob:
25 Jan 2014 to 22 Mar 2014. Selected by ribbon

15-- King Kong vs. King Kong vs. King Kong:
22 Mar 2014 to 17 May 2014. Selected by Gort

16-- Death Race 2000 vs. Death Race:
17 May 2014 to 31 May 2014 (Quickmatch). Selected by ribbon

17-- The Champ vs. The Champ:
31 May 2014 to 14 Jun 2014 (Quickmatch). Selected by dreiser

18-- The Thing from Another World vs. The Thing vs. The Thing:
14 Jun 2014 to 9 Aug 2014. Selected by Ace

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:36 am

Okay, so far I'm on my projected schedule of how to get this thing all stuffed into the thread. I've got two essays completed or underway really well, and the first Review is shaping up nicely.

I checked out a copy of Hitchcock by François Truffaut from our local library, and it's a good source of a few quotes. I also thought to look and see if there was any mention of Rear Window in the two film noir books I borrowed in order to take some preliminary notes on the Rematch between The Big Clock and No Way Out. Both Film Noir: Reflections in a dark mirror by Bruce Crowther, and Film Noir: An Encyclopedic Reference to the American Style edited by Alain Silver and Elizabeth Ward have references to the film, but only in passing or as a comparison or contrast to the film being discussed in the passage where the title pops up. That's fitting, no doubt, because Rear Window is by no means a classic noir, if it is noir at all.

First essay coming right up.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:36 am

In the Cutting Room

The job of editor isn't one that gets celebrated in the way that the job of actor or director might. I'm not sure why that is, except that flashy editing is usually put down while editing that isn't very noticeable is considered very well-done. So, if you can edit a film in such a way that no one notices what you've done, you're great! And you get very little recognition.

This apparently gives editors an opportunity to work in cross-genre mode frequently, to a much greater extent than a director like Alfred Hitchcock might. Have you ever heard of Jim Page (you confused him with the guatarist for Led Zeppelin if you're of a certain age, didn't you)? Has the name George Tomasini ever lodged in your memory? If you try seeking information for Page you wind up with a lot of hits for the Zeppelin guitarist, unless you stick 'movie editor' with his name. Tomasini has much broader renown than Page does, of course, because in his career he edited nine of Alfred Hitchcock's movies.

Jim Page's 20 screen credits include Disturbia, along with a few other D.J. Caruso numbers. He's been editing motion pictures since 1996, and has a title slated for release in 2013, so he's still working. One day he may be as well known as Tomasini or Schoonmaker. Not yet.

I'm afraid that Jim Page will be overwhelmed in this essay by the relatively vast information that is available on Tomasini. But it might be that a working relationship has developed between Caruso and Page similar to that which developed between Alfred Hitchcock and George Tomasini.

Tomasini's nine Hitchcock films make up slightly less than half his total output as film editor. He started in 1947, and worked steadily up until his death in 1965. Although he was the film editor on some films I think of as bottom of the barrel (Elephant Walk, for example), he also got an Oscar nomination in 1959 for his work on my favorite Hitchcock film, North by Northwest. His first job for Hitchcock was Rear Window, but he continued working for Hitchcock through To Catch a Thief, The Man Who Knew Too Much remake, The Wrong Man, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Psycho, The Birds, and Marnie. Meanwhile, he found time to edit the shlock sci-fi classic I Married a Monster from Outer Space, and a science fiction classic that appears in this thread, The Time Machine, among others.

In his famous discussions with François Truffaut, Hitchcock admitted that he would often shoot in such a way that the editor had very limited options in the cutting room. This apparently didn't affect Tomasini negatively, because he worked with the director on so many films. About the fight scene between Jimmy Stewart and Raymond Burr at the climax of Rear Window, Mr. Hitchcock told Truffaut:
Alfred Hitchcock, as Truffaut on page 265 wrote:There's a much better illustration [of the importance of imagery in film] in Rear Window when the man comes into the room to throw James Stewart out of the window. At first I had filmed the whole thing completely realistically. It was a weak scene; it wasn't impressive. So I did a closeup of a waving hand, a closeup of Stewart's face and another one of his legs; then I intercut all of this in proper rhythm and the final effect was just right.

Now let's take a real-life analogy. If you stand close to a train as it's speeding through a station, you feel it; it almost knocks you down. But if you look at the same train from a distance of some two miles, you don't feel anything at all. In the same way, if you're going to show two men fighting with each other, you're not going to get very much by simply photographing that fight. More often than not the photographic reality is not realistic. The only way to do it is to get into the fight and make the public feel it. In that way you achieve true realism.
In the documentary 'Rear Window' Ethics: Remembering and Restoring a Hitchcock Classic one of the interviewees (perhaps Hitchcock's daughter Patricia) reminisces about how he storyboarded Rear Window right down to the shot. The writer, John Michael Hayes speaks of, and we see a shot of the script itself, detailing what he and Hitchcock discussed for visualization. The screenplay has scenes broken up into exactly the shots that Hitchcock wanted before shooting began. Hayes tells that Hitchcock would shoot exactly the action described in a shot from the script, and then cut the camera and move on to the next one. You can educate yourself with the link to the script if you wish to learn how this was done. But the story that Hitchcock relates to Truffaut shows that even with the tightest plan you have to be flexible, and open to new ideas. And Alfred Hitchcock seems to always have remembered to keep that frame of mind.

In the quote above, Hitchcock talks as if the editor had very little role to play. But Mary Tomasini told Rachel Igel in a Motion Picture Editor's Guild iinterview:
George edited Elephant Walk, for producer Irving Asher, and through him met Alfred Hitchcock. Asher and Hitchcock had been friends in London. When Vivian Leigh became ill and was replaced with Elizabeth Taylor, George was able to use much of the wonderful background footage of Ceylon that Vivian Leigh was in without making the audience conscious that a different actress was now playing the role. Asher was very impressed. "So when Mr. Hitchcock came to Paramount, Asher recommended George to him, and he did Rear Window. And from then on, he did every picture that Mr. Hitchcock did until the time he died."

George and Hitchcock became very close friends. "Mr. Hitchcock wanted George to go with him on every location, whether he could work there or not. ... "Mr. Hitchcock always gave George first cut. He wanted to see his interpretation. Then they got down to the fine work. He would go to the preview. Of course, George had been a projectionist and had worked in all of the other phases of the business. There wasn't a thing that he didn't know about his craft."

The Future Unreels
Epistemophobia

Post by Epistemophobia » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:19 am

I didn't mind Disturbia. But then, I don't hate Shia LaBeouf either.

You have to admire this thread. :fresh:
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:15 am

Epistemophobia wrote:I didn't mind Disturbia. But then, I don't hate Shia LaBeouf either.

You have to admire this thread. :fresh:

Thank you for the compliment.

I guess there are people who really dislike LaBeouf. Probably similar to the way I dislike Adam Sandler. There isn't a reason for it at all, I just don't care for most of the films he writes and directs. But he was spectacular and right on the money in Reign Over Me. I was stunned. Doesn't change my opinion about the rest of the "crap" he was in.

Some people undoubtedly feel that way about Shia LaBeouf...and they wouldn't like Disturbia. Some people see it as a rip-off of Rear Window, so they don't like the movie. And if they hate LaBeouf then that's two strikes against it.

I'm in your camp, not hating LaBeouf, so the good points of the movie could overcome my prejudice against it. If Adam Sandler had been in it I wouldn't even have watched. Ha ha!

That's where prejudice can steer a person wrong. I'm glad I gave Reign Over Me a chance. Glad you gave Disturbia a chance. Hell, I'm glad I gave Disturbia a chance.

'Nuther tech post comin' up.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:16 am

At the Helm

The director of the 1954 original film is Alfred Hitchcock, a man about whom and about whose career so many words have been written that it is difficult to have never heard of him, or to not have an opinion of at least one of his films. It may mean nothing, or a lot, but his id at IMDb is nm0000033.

My favorite source of Hitchcock information is the book Hitchcock writen by François Truffaut based on taped interviews that he conducted with Alfred Hitchcock in 1962. In these interviews they spoke about Rear Window (pg. 214):
F.T. I imagine that the story appealed to you primarily because it represented a technical challenge: a whole film from the viewpoint of one man, and embodied in a single, large set.

A.H. Absolutely. It was a possibility of doing a purely cinematic film. You have an immobilized man looking out. That's one part of the film. The second part shows what he sees and the third part shows how he reacts. This is actually the purest expression of a cinematic idea.

Hitchcock directed 54 feature films between 1925 and 1976. He was a very analytical man in his approach to directing, often considering how the presentation of each shot would affect the film dramatically. For example, there is a scene in Rear Window where a little dog, the pet of a childless couple, is found dead. From Hitchcock, (pg. 218):
F.T. And again in Rear Window the first time you show the whole courtyard is when the woman begins to scream over the death of her dog and the neighbors all rush to their windows to see what's happening.

A.H. Absolutely. The size of the image is used for dramatic purposes, and not merely to establish the background.
The 1954 Film.
Rear Window usually ranks near the top of any list, such as this one compiled by nerve.com. Their list is ordered from worst to best, so if you want to jump to the top, scroll down and click the button for page 5. Vertigo sits atop the heap, resting on Rear Window. At IMDb the filmography by rating page for Hitchcock shows that Rear Window has risen to the top place, displacing Vertigo to fourth place. Personally, I don't understand why it is so highly ranked, although I admit that it is a masterpiece. The film falls into Hitchock's conceptual group of what I call "bounded films": where the location becomes one of the characters. The Lady Vanishes, Lifeboat, Rope, Dial M for Murder and Rear Window each take place within a limited physical location. (Rebecca may also; it's been 20 years since I watched it.) In The Lady Vanishes: the camera remains more or less within a passenger train and its various cars; in Lifeboat: the camera rarely, if ever, strays outside the confines of a lifeboat following the torpedoing and sinking of an allied passenger ship during WWII; in Rope (made form a stage play): the camera remains inside an apartment where a length of rope used as a murder weapon is left on display by the killers for the guests at a posh party, and there is apparently only one camera setup and only one shot; in Dial M for Murder (also originally a stage play): the camera is fastened within the walls of an apartment house for nearly the duration of the film, venturing into the hallway, and looking out windows at the sidewalks; and in Rear Window: the camera doesn't leave temporary invalid L.B. Jefferies' apartment, or what he can see from the windows of his apartment that overlooks a courtyard in Greenwich Village, although we see the insides of several apartments facing his, because they are open to his view.

The 2007 similar film.
The director of the 2007 alleged remake is D.J. Caruso, whose obscurity isn't quite on the same level as Hitchcock's fame. Caruso directed TV episodes and a short film between 1995 and 2002, before helming The Salton Sea. Caruso's name was added a bit later than Hitchcock's, bearing the id nm0142286. Disturbia is Caruso's fourth feature. Altogether he has directed 22 titles that are listed at IMDb. Before reading his listing, I had heard of only one other of his films besides Disturbia.

Caruso works in a different era. There aren't nearly so many superstar directors in today's film industry. And a man or woman can make a good, lucrative career from directing what seem rather pedestrian films. I have to admit that Disturbia impressed me with caruso and Company's story-telling skills when I watched it the first time(only becuase it was available via a free weekend of HBO through our cable company). D.J. Caruso may not be of the same ilk as Alfred Hitchcock (remember that at one time Hitchcock himself was no Alfred Hitchcock). A few years' work and experience may yet turn him into someone whose films will be spoken of as respectfully as the master's are today. I haven't seen any Caruso numbers aside from Disturbia, but should the opportunity arise, I will probably give one or two a look. Perhaps some of you reading this could express your experience with Caruso's other films, perhaps his latest, I Am Number Four which currently rests within the IMDb top 500 films. I read a few disrespectful reviews of this movie, so I avoided it. Was I wrong?

Does this essay leave you wondering who has IMDb nm0000001? This person does.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:22 am

Te review of Rear Window was supposed to be posted tomorrow, according to my hobby calendar. But I got it ready, and I need to take my car to the shop tomorrow. So, I'm getting ahead of sched!

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:22 am

Rear Window (1954) dir. Alfred Hitchcock

IMDb link RT-link

Year: 1954 Director: Alfred Hitchcock Cast: James Stewart, Grace Kelly, Wendell Corey, Thelma Ritter, Raymond Burr Length: 112 min. Color/Mono

François Truffaut's book Hitchcock provided my first information about this film. I hadn't seen very many Hitchcock movies when I read the book in 1971 (the book came out in 1967). A few Hitchcock films that I read about fascinated me, as a young film student, because they take place in limited space, much the way a stage play does (I was also a playwright with produced scripts at the time) and that seemed to me an interesting problem to set yourself as a film director: "Keep it confined, and see what you can do." Not that I had seen any of those films while I was reading the book.

I had seen Dial M for Murder in high school, and was interested in the way the camera stayed within the apartment building, mostly within a single apartment for the duration of the movie. So I really paid attention to the stills and discussion presented for The Lady Vanishes, Lifeboat, Rope and Rear Window. The most recent of these was the first I got to see. And I believe that was in a college film course.

Frankly, I clearly remember the year of my first viewing of some great films, but not of others. It seems that I saw Rear Window in early 1972, a few months after finishing the Truffaut book. I do recall how I felt as I watched Rear Window, though. This was a 16mm black and white reduction print of the film, panned and scanned (probably for television broadcast). I had no idea the film had been released in color at the time. So many films were made in black and white in the 1950s. Despite the reduced aspect ratio and the loss of color, I was in awe at the set and the lighting. Only a few times does the lighting look like film lighting for the courtyard and sky, and then only in a color print. Because of the black and white print I didn't even notice the sodium vapor process borderlines in the shot where a character falls alongside the wall of a building. I believe that this shot was replaced by a shot looking downward in the restored version. The replacement shot has just as much of a sodium vapor matte look to it, but it's a better angle. (Of course, the sodium vapor process was used most extensively in The Birds.) I probably didn't notice the vaguely wavering position of the helicopter that the main character looks up to watch early in the film beyond the apartment building across from his. (I know, I've ruined two films for you, now.)

I was prejudiced to love this film before I ever saw it. Like many Hitchcock movies, the first viewing made it my favorite of his films for a brief period until my brain analyzed all those I had seen and each settled into a particular spot. Rear Window persisted in the top slot of my ranking until I saw North by Northwest a second time, and it bumped the Peeping Tom flick down to second place.

A stronghold of Hitchcock's artistry is characterization. In this story, with few speaking roles, even the pantomime characters who live across the way carry the weight of characterization. A few of them get to speak legibly before the film is over, but many of them never say a word that we can actually comprehend. Yet, we know what they are saying. I think we can also clearly comprehend the fears and motivations of the four main characters: Jeff, Lisa, Detective Doyle, and the home nurse, Stella. To our surprise, one of the peripheral characters slowly becomes the villain of the piece! And after an altercation with him, Jeff winds up slightly worse off physically, but his prospects are improved in other important ways.

This is a taut film, although you may look back after the viewing and wonder why you were uptight about anything at all. It works in the moment as well as any of Alfred Hitchcock's films do. John Michael Hayes (and Hitchcock) adapted a Cornell Woolrich short story into a screenplay that prompts François Truffaut to tell Alfred Hitchcock, "To my mind, Rear Window is probably your very best screenplay in all respects: the construction, the unity of inspiration, the wealth of details." {Hitchcock pg. 222}

Here are some aspects of the film that I like, and some that I don't care for:

Like Insofar as it's possible, Hitchcock and his DP, Robert Burkes, keep our vision limited to what Jefferies can see. In addition, we see him in his apartment, and we see one shot across the way when he's asleep, which provides us knowledge that he doesn't have.

Like The magnificent set and the lighting tricks used to create the most convincing look of being outdoors that I've ever seen in a studio-made film (that I am aware of, I have to add). The floor of Paramount Soundstage 18 was excavated in order to allow construction of an enormous, functional set that Scott Curtis describes as:
98 feet wide, 185 feet long, and 40 feet high, with structures rising five and six stories....
He also notes that "Hitchcock controlled the action across the courtyard by means of a short-wave radio installed in Jeff's apartment. The actors across the way wore flesh-colored earphones with frequencies tuned in to the shortwave signal." This technique dwarfs that of directors and DPs riding in the back floorboard of camera cars while shooting dialogue scenes inside vehicles! Mac Johnson designed the set and supervised its construction. It becomes a main character of the story, controlling by its enclosed nature all that we see in the film. Hitchcock and Hayes saw the value of restricting themselves, with very few shots in the screenplay taking place elsewhere. Later, an associate production manager suggested that the camera should never stray outside L.D. Jefferies's apartment, and Hitchcock eventually agreed.

Like L.D. Jefferies's weapon of convenience in a certain scene at the climax. What a flash of genius. Not only that, the attempt merely slows down the villain, it doesn't stop him by any means. The usual Hollywood deus ex machina is skewed by this, not thwarted, and the skewing creates an interesting turn of events!

Like The plucky side of the faltering relationship carried by Lisa in her attempt to get L.D. Jefferies to marry her. I suppose it's not 21st Century for her to develop (or to feign) interest in his photographic excursions. In the same way, she doesn't stop being interested in fashion or silverplate just in order to go with him. Of course, everything in movies is shorthand, and doesn't reflect real life. (All three of the parallel films in this Rematch use a romance to move things along, and to provide impetus for the male character to act, in one case.)

Inevitably, there are aspects of every film that I really don't care for, or that I don't find to be excellent, and some that I feel ambivalent about.

Don't Like The aforementioned matte lines that appear around a plunging character, and the lighting mismatch between him and the background plate, admittedly in only one shot in the film. I don't (never did) like being reminded that I'm watching a movie by process artifacts. (At the same time, I love the way they inform us about how films are made!) Everything else looks ultra-real, and then that shot happens. That it's during the climax of the film, in its most tense moment makes it all the worse. Today that would be much easier to correct for. And I understand that they had virtually no way to match elements back in 1953 in the ways they can nowadays.

Don't Like The film is almost two hours; five minutes shy of it. The story develops a feeling of being padded about three-quarters of the way through. This happens every time I watch it. I understand that other characters had to be added in order to flesh out Cornell Woolrich's story to feature length, but those characters begin to get in the way of economical story-telling in the last quarter of the film. The result isn't terrible, but it just seems as if oatmeal gets shoved into the VCR during that time. Perhaps most of this padding derives from Hitchcock's musical experiment, and a resultant sub-plot which you'll read about next.

Don't Like The fact that the film doesn't have a score, uses only diagetic music, which is an experiment on Hitchcock's part: (Hitchcock pg 216)
Truffaut wrote:A.H. One of the things I was unhappy about in Rear Window was the music. ... You remember that one of the characters in the yard was a musician. Well, I wanted to show how a popular song is composed by gradually developing it throughout the film until, in the final scene, it is played on a recording with a full orchestral accompaniment. Well, it didn't quite work out the way I wanted it to, and I was quite disappointed.
The idea is one of those that thinks great but cannot be worked out in a motion picture, unless you do an informational video to specifically show the process (or make it the whole point of the story). In this film the other aspects of the story intervene and interfere, so this is never made the focus of the audience. It's a tidbit tossed in on the side, as it should be if it's there at all. The lack of a regular score obviously doesn't hurt the film greatly, but I wonder if it might have been even more effective with a bit more music in a few more places.

Don't Like The remarkably happy ending for the main character, although the Woolrich short story has this feature as well. And, I must say, the film Jefferies gets it worse than the short story Jefferies does.

Don't Like For all the masterful development of suspense in the film, Jeff never seems to be in any real danger, although that's a silly thing to write when he hangs out a window with a cast on his lower body. A two-story fall is not likely to kill anyone, unless he lands on his head, or on his back in such a way as to snap his spinal cord. Sorry, that's the kind of things that run through my mind when I watch movies. But, even though there is no apparent fatal danger, the insinuation of the idea of danger is pretty complete. Thus, this is a sort of namby-pamby "don't like" on my part. I say that because in a film (aside from documentaries) there is never any genuine danger to the actual people, only to the characters. So,

Like The danger posed to L.D. Jefferies is never ratcheted up to total death or disfigurement. It is more in the sense of implied danger, unspecified danger...what will Thorwald do? There is never a moment when you think that Jeff's backups won't arrive in time, but there is enough suspense injected into the climax to make you doubt your certainty of that. This is why Hitchock is a master of suspense. And in the morality code of movies at the time, Jeff has to have some comeuppance. As Hitchcock told Truffaut on pgs 216 and 219:
Truffaut wrote:F.T. Would you say that Stewart was merely curious?
A.H. He's a real Peeping Tom.
F.T. ...when the killer come's into Stewart's room, he says to him, "What do you want of me?" And Stewart doesn't answer because, in fact, his actions are unjustified; they're motivated by sheer curiosity.
A.H. That's right, and he deserves what's happening to him!
I'll leave it up to you to decide who Hitchcock means by "he" in that second remark!

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:31 am

Good Lord, look at that! This is horrible:
Rear Window (1954) dir. Alfred Hitchcock

IMDb link RT-link

Year: 1954 Director: Alfred Hitchcock Cast: James Stewart, Grace Kelly, Wendell Corey, Thelma Ritter, Raymond Burr Length: 112 min. Color/Mono
If you can't tell what the title of the film is, who directed it, and what year it came out from all that, you are not paying attention. :shifty:

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:55 pm

Hank wrote:I'd love to own that Hitchcock set at some point. I'll need to wait until it's about 75% off though. :(

I could no longer resist.

I pre-ordered it today, August 25, 2012. It comes out a month from today. I even paid 2.98 to have it shipped faster. :(

But I'll have 15 Hitchcock films in Blu-ray. :)

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:00 pm

roujin wrote:I set up vlc to take automatic screenshots. cuz i'm lazy.

I've learned how to do that, now. It works fairly well, but the default 50 frames setting misses a lot. I'll run the '86 Fly and all the Pan films with 25 frames spacing, and see if there is less touching up to do. It missed most of the action sequences in Disturbia at the 50 frames setting because it's cut too fast. And it missed a few things that I'll want to grab again from the 1958 Fly flick.

Overall, though, it gets a lot of what I can use: set shots, closeups of the actors, other things that can be useful. And it takes me less hands-on time to go back and grab specific scenes, I think.

Thanks for making me aware that the feature is available.

Now, if I can just remember to reset my filenames before I start each new film... :D

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:32 pm

I've gotten in some DVDs that I bought to make doing some of the work easier.

The two on the left arrived today (I expected The Fly and Pan '24 on Monday of next week). I already had gotten the used DVD set of Pan 53 earlier this week. And I bought Pan 2003 in 2003. I'll test VLC auto-grab with these.

The Future Unreels
Hank

Post by Hank » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:04 am

That Rear Window post is wonderful. I genuinely enjoyed it. And congrats on your purchase. Perhaps I can get some family to purchase it for a birthday or something :shifty:
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:15 am

Hank wrote:That Rear Window post is wonderful. I genuinely enjoyed it.

I appreciate you letting me know, Hank.
Hank wrote:And congrats on your purchase. Perhaps I can get some family to purchase it for a birthday or something :shifty:

Perhaps you can wrangle that.

I'm calling it my Christmas present from my sons, although they don't even know I'm buying it. :D

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:18 pm

Finding a good volume of material on a modern film is rather difficult at times. I can get basic information on the crew of Disturbia, for example, but I can find so much more about their counterparts on Rear Window. I'm finding the same to be true of the 2003 Peter Pan film, and it was true of the more recent 3:10 to Yuma that I explored earlier in the year.

It's all well and good to go to IMDb and pull interesting tidbits from the filmography page for each person, but I like to include something about their philosophy of working. So often the younger set doesn't have any of that available on the 'net. Or, if there is more than nothing, there is not a lot.

Anyway, another tech post is due today on the RWD Rematch. I'll post it after I have breakfast.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:37 pm

Behind the Lens

Hitchcock worked with Robert Burks to capture the screen images for his 1954 masterpiece. After their first collaboration, Strangers on a Train was released in 1951, between then and 1964 when Marnie debuted, Burks worked on most of Hitchcock's films. The trivia page at IMDb says that Burks
IMDb Trivia wrote:...began working at Warner Brothers when he was 19 years old. He climbed his way up from camera operator to assistant camera man and eventually took over the Special Photographic Effects unit at Warners on Stage 5 in 1944. He became an expert in forced perspective techniques which were widely in use at the time as cost-saving measures.
From 1944 to 1967 Burks was behind the lens of 46 titles. The website for The ASC (American Society of Cinematographers) reports that Burks impressed Hitchcock with his innovative photography for Strangers on a Train.
ASC wrote:During the ensuing 14 years, Burks photographed 11 more of Hitchcock's best-known essays in suspense. On all of these projects, his operative cameraman was Leonard J. South, ASC.
After Burks and his wife died in a house fire in 1968, South became Hitchcock's cinematographer for Family Plot.

The International Encyclopedia of Cinematographers calls Burks "King Chameleon" due to the way in which the man could adapt his shooting style to the needs of the script or director. There is, thus, no single particular style to all his films. During his run as Hitchcock's DP, only one film, Psycho was not given to him, because Hitchcock wanted to shoot the movie with a television crew of six persons.

D.J. Caruso hired Rogier Stoffers to control the look and framing of Disturbia. Stoffers was born in the Netherlands in 1961, and has been making and shooting films since 1988. He is a member of the Cinematography guilds in both the Netherlands and the USA. His photographic style has won him some awards. Stoffers has worked in television, films and has shot many commercials. International attention was focused on a film he shot in 1999 called Quills, released in 2000. Later he was the directing photographer for John Q. and Richard Linklater's The School of Rock, which led to another contract to shoot Linklater's remake of The Bad News Bears in 2004. Stoffers continues to work on features internationally.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:18 am

I just got finished with my note-taking pass on Disturbia. I don't think I've ever paid this close attention to it when I've watched it. First viewing of the Blu-ray on my 42-inch TV. It looks very pretty that way. Previous viewings were on the computer.

Next up on Saturday is the Review of Disturbia.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:08 pm

Disturbia (2007) dir. D. J. Caruso

IMDb link RT-link

Year: 2007 Director: P.J. Hogan Cast: Shia LaBeouf, David Morse, Carrie-Anne Moss, Sarah Roemer, Aaron Yoo Length: 105 min. Color/Stereo

Officially, Disturbia is not a remake of Rear Window. A judge has declared this! There are ways in which the films are amazingly similar, but the 1998 teleplay is the actual remake. Still, if you watch all three in release order, you can see a transition from Rear Window '54 to Rear Window '98 to Disturbia in the tools used for surveillance, which I think demonstrates a solid influence of each film on its successor(s). Or, perhaps the producers of the subsequent films were just updating the techniques people can use to look at distant things over time.

I took on this comparison because the thread is my hobby, so I guess I can step outside the definition of "remake" if I want to. I've seen both films, and it's clear that the similarities are so great because Disturbia essentially relies on the same basic ideas as Rear Window, whether Cornell Woolrich's short story is considered to be the source of those ideas, or not. The similarities are right there on the screen, so "Remake" or not, they are certainly enough alike to compare as if the films were original and remake.

The kerfuffle that arose when people began to get hints of Disturbia's content were nearly deafening. I had no idea whether it was actually a "remake" of Rear Window or wasn't, but at RottenTomatoes.com the forums were abuzz with negative criticism ahead of its release. I wasn't a member of the forums until after the film came out. But in my lurking hours there I read about how the film would be terrible. And I think I believed it. It seemed unnecessary to redo a masterpiece of the stature of Rear Window. Hadn't Hitchcock done the finest turn that anyone could imagine of the Woolrich story?

One day, in the midst of a free preview of all the movie channels from AT&T, I found the film Disturbia already in progress, and I saw all but the first several minutes. I didn't see the explanation of why Kale was under house arrest. He was already testing the limits of his confinement when I tuned in. I enjoyed the interplay of characters, and I lost my prejudice that the film wasn't any good. I actually found it to be cleverly constructed, the characters are played fetchingly, there is enough suspense to keep a person's attention. It is not a bad movie by any means. Nor does it break any new territory. It's a movie kind of like an impromptu Lego construction: familiar blocks are put together into a somewhat novel shape, but without any specially molded parts it looks virtually the same as any other thing built from Lego.

It is not Rear Window, but it has the same theme as that film: a person confined in some way becomes voyeuristically interested in his neighbors; in the process of indulging his new "hobby" he sees something that makes him believe that a neighbor is up to no good; he tells friends and associates and they do not believe him; sooner or later both his loved ones and he are threatened by the knowledge of the neighbor's immoral acts; the confined person is triumphant at the end of the story. That is the germ of Cornell Woolrich's seminal short story, too. And, of both films entitled Rear Window. One difference between the films is that Hitchcock's film is a suspense thriller, while the Caruso is a horror film that lacks the body-count trappings of Scream or Final Destination, and with a fully human villain rather than the type in Nightmare on Elm Street. And although the film weathered a lot of very negative criticism, overall the aggregator at RottenTomatoes.com shows the film with a 68% positive rating in terms of reviews.

D.J. Caruso is not yet in the class of Alfred Hitchcock. Perhaps he will be one day. Overall, Disturbia lacks the tension that Rear Window builds. When tension accumulates in the 2007 film, something always happens to release it sooner than Hitchcock does in his movie. At least Disturbia never feels padded to me, the way the Hitchcock film does. To me, the sub-plots seem to get in the way of the main plotlines less often. But I still hold Rear Window in higher esteem as a film because it is a remarkable project, magnificent in scope as a creative process, and I think this effort comes through in the overall product. Disturbia is a cute, well-written mid-Spring movie that builds some tension and has a clever denoument. In that regard, this is a mismatch, rather than a rematch: one film is a masterpiece, the other is an early number from its director. To that extent, it's unfair to Disturbia to have it go up against a film in a heavier weight class. And, yet, the little film holds its own in many areas.

Overall, I like much more about Disturbia than I dislike. One thing that some people dislike is Shia LaBeouf. I've always liked him ever since my kids used to watch "Even Stevens" on the Disney Channel. You may already know that one of LaBeouf's jobs was to do the English-language voice of Asbel in Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind . I saw Holes in the theater primarily because LaBeouf was cast as Stanley Yelnats IV. So his presence in Disturbia is a plus for me. Just be aware of that.

Here are some aspects of the film that I like, followed by a few that I don't care for:

Like Shia LaBeouf is quite charming as the Donald O'Connor-like main character, Kaleb Brecht. Sarah Roemer does a respectable turn as Ashley, the hot new neighbor girl who is way above him in terms of looks, but right there with him in terms of curiosity about the neighbors. Whereas he is a Peeping Tom, it turns out that she's a Voyeur Valerie, to coin a term. They are joined by Kale's long-time buddy, Ronnie, played by Aaron Yoo. Ronnie goes along with Kale's suggestions all too often, and in the middle of things decides that he shouldn't have been so compliant. Caruso and Company do a fine job of creating a trio of mostly realistic teenagers who get drawn into something more dangerous than they at first suspect. A lark becomes a liability, and the killer manages to battle two of them head-to-head.

Like There is an attempt at subtly presenting Mr Turner as someone misunderstood by Kale, Ashley and Ronnie. And these scenes work as tension builders, because as voyeurs ourselves, the audience is sure that Kale is right about Turner. This is what suspense is, according to Alfred Hitchcock: we as the audience know something that the main characters don't know. And we wonder how things will turn out. At least the script allows Turner to have an easy explanation for everything that we and Kaleb have seen up to the point of Ronnie's entry into Turner's house. Yet, we still feel like something is wrong.

Like Even though I'm not sure what's going on with it, I like the dynamic between Kaleb and his best friend, Ronnie. The reason I like it is that it makes me chafe on Ronnie's behalf that he lets Kale talk him into these stupid things to do! Kale can't spy on Turner in certain ways, but Ronnie can, although he's basically unwilling to do so. Still, he goes along and acts as Kale's eyes and feet against his better judgment. Aaron Yoo plays panic very well, if a little over the top, but he's supposed to be comic relief, like Thelma Ritter in Hitchcock's film.

Like As LaBeouf's character begins to recognize the implications of his speculation, he shows hints of paranoia. This is natural, I think, so seems realistic. When he accidentally confronts Mr Turner in his own kitchen one morning, the boy is unable to reign in his paranoid suspicions of the neighbor. The same thing is happening to him that happens to Jeff Jefferies in the 1954 film, but Kale is younger and more likely to blurt things. Who knows what Stewart's character would have done if he had met Thorwald halfway through the story? He might have blurted, too, but Woolrich and Hitchcock keep them apart until the very end.

Like Once Turner is revealed to be who Kale says he is, and at a comfortably late moment in the film, he remains that villainous character. All pretense of friendly neighbor disappears. Also, he has very few lines after that point. He becomes like the meat-eater dinosaurs in kid's films, who only growl and never can speak, the way the nice vegetarian dinosaurs can. Somehow, given the rationale of the picture, this cliche fits in Turner's case. One could speculate that Turner is now in Thorwald mode, trying to protect himself when all is lost, without resorting to thinking things through. If someone knows something incriminating about you, knocking him out with a baseball bat makes little sense...except that the writers give Turner a fairly well-conceived frame-up in progress. He intends to solve his current problems by killing people. Jolly. This serves to solidify Turner's cold-heartedness, while it gives us reason to root for Kale to somehow get free of his bonds and save Mom.

Like Given that it is mostly in the genre "modern teen horror films," Disturbia deserves credit for not introducing supernatural characteristics. The bad guy is a man, and he remains a man. There is an explanation for almost everything that happens, and by that I mean all the things that Robert Morse's character does. It isn't important that we hear these explanations during the movie, but we can devise them afterward and be satisfied that Turner ain't no ghost. Yet, the structure of the film is much the same as those that feature ghostly villains.

There are a few aspects of Disturbia that I don't care for, although my negative feelings for the film are not strong enough to drive me nuts over any of these points:

Don't Like The way in which Robert Morse's character, Mr Turner, is always incriminating himself by stares and glances. I suppose this is so the younger audience members will know that he is really a serial killer, as Kale and friends suspect. But I think this is overdone. It seems to be an editing decision. Morse doesn't play Turner in that way in several key scenes, but there are always these unsubtle stares. In fact, that's what I dislike about the presentation of Turner: it lacks the slight degree of subtlety that would have preserved the "Is he really doing this?" feeling until later in the picture.

Don't Like Ronnie doesn't even have a trip to the ER with a concussion from being hit by a baseball bat. Really? We know it never happens because someone would have at least said something about it. In fact...

Don't Like The entire ending is a bit too pat. I'd have liked Kale to have to go visit Ronnie in the hospital, at least. Weeping over his friend's demise would have been even stronger...although that death might have rolled it into R-rating territory. And Hitchcock manages to build suspense without anyone in Jeff's circle biting the dust. Disturbia swerves along a fine course of plausible, implausible, plausible again...and then at the end it veers into oh-come-on-now territory in order to force a completely happy ending. At least Jeff Jefferies has two casts at the end of Rear Window. At the end of this one Kaleb Brecht's ankle bracelet is removed early. He goes outside and kisses his girl, and then when they're upstairs smooching, Ronnie walks in with a soda and a camcorder to YouTube their first really good kiss. I'll bet even teens didn't care for that WTF turn of events. "Wait, that kid got his brains beaten out of him last night, and now he's...okay? Where are his bruises?"

Don't Like Whereas Hitchcock has one climax and one resolution, Disturbia attempts the multiple-climax plot structure. Thus, Kale gets caught by his adversary sooner than he should for a clean buildup and release. Now something has to be done to hold our interest until the end of the picture. Like many modern films this necessitates a shift in tone. This dissipates the suspense, I think, but that might be necessary to secure a PG-13 rating. The thing is, it works to a great extent. It holds my attention each time I watch. And I give Caruso and his team points for not totally abandoning the humor (Kale bangs his head on a pipe in Turner's basement, for example).

Until I was writing this review I never looked at the RottenTomatoes.com review aggregator. I expected Disturbia to have a green splat icon and some percentage of positive reviews below 60. I hope the comparisons made in the press in 2007 of this film to Hitchcock's film of 53 years earlier, spurred many young minds to give the master a try. Some of them wouldn't have cared for the original Rear Window, but some of them would have liked it, and may have embarked on an adventure through the films of Alfred Hitchcock.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:13 pm

Yesterday my copy of The Second Pan Book of Horror Stories selected by Herbert van Thal arrived.

I have now read the George Langelaan story. I have everything on hand that I'll need when I get to the next Rematch.

This morning I have to replace the air springs at the rear of my 20-year old auto. And it's laundry day. Good thing I got the scheduled Review posted last night!

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:20 am

YouTookMyName wrote:This morning I have to replace the air springs at the rear of my 20-year old auto. And it's laundry day.

It's 7:18 pm local time, and I didn't get the problem fixed with my air suspension. I was only able to diagnose that the problem wasn't only the leaking air springs. New air springs, same low ride in the back. The system won't inflate them. I could try replacing the solenoids and sensors and all, but the system is computer-controlled. Hayes manuals calls it a dealer-service item. I can't afford dealer prices. To buy all the parts for the system in a kit is nearly a thousand dollars.

:x

I've decided to order coil springs to replace the air springs. I could have done that beforehand, but I thought I'd always wish I'd spent the extra $40.00 and gotten replacement air springs. Now I know I should have ordered the coil springs instead, since you can't return the air springs once installed. But I didn't know that before. Now it will cost me double what it would have, but at least I won't be wishing I'd gotten the air springs...since I already tried that. Instead, I'll be wishing I hadn't gotten the air springs. :D

This must be why some people say "Live and learn." Either that, or that's all they can think of to say.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:22 pm

A Comparison of Rear Window (1954) Rear Window (1998) & Disturbia (2007)

Unwanted Boundaries

You've had some kind of experience similar to mine, I'm sure. When I operated my video production business out of my home in the 1990s I would often need software or computer peripherals in a hurry. So I would place an overnight delivery order. If it was via FedEx Overnight I knew that I'd be free to leave by 10:30 a.m., but if it was UPS or another carrier I might be stuck at home all day long! On those days, that was the biggest problem with living by myself, rather living without a spouse, and having kids who were school age: I couldn't afford to miss the delivery, and I couldn't leave to go anywhere until the delivery arrived. But sometimes the hour would come for me to drive to the school and meet my children, and I had to leave!

It felt like being in prison. On those mornings I would think of any number of places I would rather be, and I would wish I could go there. In fact, it was risky to have to use the bathroom, because the delivery might be attempted while I was indisposed! These experiences, plus a small number of others, allow me to have great empathy for L. D. Jefferies and Kaleb Brecht. The psychological artifacts have been studied: for example, "Psychiatric Effects of Solitary Confinement" by Stuart Grassian (the article notes in the Contents that it is an overview of the psychiatric effects of confinement throughout history, and is not fully footnoted)
Dr. Grassian wrote:The inability to shift attention results in a kind of “tunnel vision” in which the individual’s attention becomes stuck, almost always on something intensely unpleasant, and in which he cannot stop thinking about that matter; instead, he becomes obsessively fixated upon it. These obsessional preoccupations are especially troubling. Individuals in solitary confinement easily become preoccupied with some thought, some perceived slight or irritation, some sound or smell coming from a neighboring cell, or, perhaps most commonly, by some bodily sensation. Tortured by it, such individuals are unable to stop dwelling on it.
This seems to be a legitimate, known offshoot of confinement, at least in its severest form. Thus: the skeptical attitudes of the police characters in all three treatments of this story idea!

But these men are not in solitary. They are able to see out, and to interact with other people. Still, being confined leads to some exceptional behavior: Kale is so overwhelmed by cabin-fever that he carefully delineates the exact outside boundaries of his electronic home confinement with a series of string fences. Thus, he know exactly how far he can go in his yard. Jeff Jefferies is stuck in his small apartment unless someone can help carry him and his wheelchair downstairs, so he looks out the window all day. At least Jason Kemp in the 1998 Reeve remake of Rear Window has a scooter and elevator service right to the floors of his apartment. His particular kind of confinement goes everywhere with him, but in this case his confinement itself is mobile. This makes his outward-cast gaze the dramatically weakest presentation in these three films. Still, he is drawn to the windows of his apartment, especially at night.

The fact of being restrained from normal behavior is the root of the outward-focused behavior of these men. They become formal voyeurs because they cannot easily go to the places that they can see. They become interested in the lives of their neighbors as a vicarious form of travel, so to speak.

The use of a telescope in the short story, the binoculars and long lenses in the 1954 film, the electronic surveillance camera in the TV remake, and the use of binoculars and all sorts of cameras in Disturbia, is a way for the protagonists to, at least visually, join the world outside their cages. Kaleb's confinement is temporary, as is L.D. Jefferies's immobility. Jason Kemp has a longer-term situation, which makes his story different in texture. Whereas the first two can think, "I can't do that, I can't be there with them right now," Kemp has to think, "I can't do that anymore." Still, all three indulge this siren call of prying into neighbors' affairs.

So, in the original story and the three motion pictures it is confinement that turns the protagonists' gazes outward. Kale notices a family moving in next door, with a very pretty daughter close to his age. At first he watches her, then having formed binoculars habits, he begins to watch other families who live nearby, no longer turning his lenses exclusively toward Ashley. After some suspicious activities by a Mr Turner, at least activities that Kale suspects, he begins to take an ever-closer look at the neighbor behind his mother's house. This person turns out to be unexpectedly strange. Kaleb cannot get it off his mind.

In the short story Hal Jeffries sits at the window of his apartment during a heat wave in Greenwich Village, and casually watches all the neighbors whose rear doors and windows open onto the same courtyard. Something about a certain neighbor comes to his attention, and the puzzle attracts an undue amount of attention. There are additional neighbor tales included in the Hitchcock film adaptation. Through an alleyway, L.D. "Jeff" Jefferies can see a major street, but only a sliver of the activity on it at any given moment. The world truly passes by out there, while this customarily active man is rendered immobile due to a broken leg. In each nearby apartment there is a story, and the details are not always clear. This lack of detail makes the little stories all the more intriguing, so Jeff spends his idle days looking out into the courtyard. He begins using binoculars to watch certain individuals. It brings him closer to them by proxy, as he feels so isolated in his two-room flat. Suddenly a neighbor seems to be missing his invalid wife. Something about it excites Jefferies's imagination and he comes to believe that a murder has been committed. Jeff cannot get it off his mind.

The same basic story flows through the 1998 television remake of Rear Window. Jason Kemp works at home as he always has, designing office buildings. He notices neighbors that he may have ignored before (or this may be a new apartment installed above his office space, this isn't made clear). He, too, is drawn to the window, and begins to observe those in the apartments and studios that he can see across the courtyard just beyond the glass. Each of them has a story, and this appeals to him. As he watches one couple who have marital strife, the woman disappears, and Kemp belives that her husband has done away with her. Jason cannot get it off his mind.

All three protagonists reach the same conclusion, having paid very close attention to things that they would likely have ignored, were it not for being stuck at home for an extended period of time. The details they notice lead them to obsess about what they suspect. And in every case it turns out that they are correct about the evil neighbors. Although Disturbia is not officially a remake, it follows the same pattern in the same order as both Rear Window films, and the main character winds up in the same place.

When I accepted delivery of each of my ordered packages, suddenly the restrictions were gone, and I no longer thought about how I couldn't go anywhere.
Kale gets his ankle bracelet removed, and he is no longer confined. But it seems unlikely that he will ever forget the night he went to rescue his mother from the neighbor's house. Hal Jeffries, and L.D. Jefferies get their leg casts removed. But it seems doubtful that they will be able to forget their harrowing experiences at the hands of Lars Thorwald. Jason Kemp, of course, will not be able to move on his own until the scientists develop a cure for quadriplegic paralysis. But with Julian Thorpe in prison, he will be free to come and go using his scooter.

With the removal of confinement in each movie the desire to stare out the windows vanishes. The protagonists are able to leave the window; to join the larger world outside. Their detective stories depend largely on confinement and its particular frame of mind in order to happen.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:52 am

Rear Window (1998)

IMDb link RT-link

Year: 1998 Director: Jeff Bleckner Cast: Christopher Reeve, Daryl Hannah Length: 89 min. Color/Stereo

The Christopher Reeve version of Rear Window turns out not to be the first remake of the story. That credit has to be given elsewhere, even in a different nation: Backyard Adventure was created in China in 1955 "by a collective of Cantonese filmmakers to commemorate the death of comedian Yi Qiushui." But I have no access to that film, so I'll focus on the Reeve redesign.

The source credit for the Reeve Rear Window goes to the Cornell Woolrich short story, not the Paramount screenplay. Since it is an adaptation of the same story, it is officially a Remake, although it doesn't slavishly recreate either the story or the Hitchcock film. And to call this the Reeve remake is more accurate, since he was one of the producers of the movie. The TV adaptation was broadcast on ABC television network stations Sunday, Nov. 22, 1998. As it turns out, without cable television in Memphis, Tennessee, where I lived at the time, the ABC station was one of two that delivered a strong enough signal to have clear picture. So, if I watched television, it was often something on ABC. Needless to say, I didn't watch TV much in those days, preferring VHS tapes and the newfangled DVDs, as I do now, to anything off air or off cable. But I was one of the 12 million who "bought tickets" to see this new "World Premiere Movie" on TV that night.

I tuned in to watch a remake of one of my favorite Hitchcock films featuring an actor whose personal tragedy was getting a lot of press. To its credit, the film featurs Daryl Hannah, who was one of my favorite actresses in her younger days. I expected a good show. Instead, I got something rather bland, that was a marginally more clever update than I realized in that viewing. In the John Michael Hayes adaptation there are comic and dramatic diversions presented in the stories of the others living around the apartment blocks that L.D. Jefferies can see from his rear window. In the original Cornell Woorich short story the main character primarily observes the activity in one apartment, with a few distractions from others around. It is a rather sharply focused tale. Hitchcock's film, made from Hayes's adaptation of that story, is more diffuse, as a person's attention would be diffused in real life. The Reeve version is more confined in terms of the courtyard, with fewer opportunities for distraction.

He can look out his upper-story windows and see about five other apartments, plus one that is being turned into an art gallery. There is no overt romantic angle in the story, but a subtle romance between Reeve and Hannah eventually breaks out. She does infiltrate the sculptor's studio apartment in the way Lisa scopes out Thorwald's apartment in the 1954 film (Jeffries sends his manservant Sam to do this in the short story). That scene is played and edited in a suspenseful way. The story is not without its competence, but that's about all it has. There are few moments of surprise, perhaps fewer gripping on-screen events. The sub-plot of Jason Kemp's desire to someday walk on his own again nearly overwhelms the original short story plot, totally displacing it in many moments.

Like The binoculars and telephoto camera lenses of the original film are supplanted by some remote-controlled video surveillance gear in the remake. After all, actor Christopher Reeve is playing himself, although the script calls him an architect, and Reeve at that time couldn't hold binoculars or anything else. He controls the camera's functions with the straw that he uses to steer his powered wheelchair. No explanation is made of how the camera and chair know which one he is puffing at in any given situation, but that's movie magic for ya.

Like Overall, the adaptation, given the baggage that is forced upon it, is a decent recasting of the Woolrich short story.

Don't Like Yet, writers Eric Overmyer and Larry Gross allow the plot complications related to Reeve's personal injury to take too much of the time in the film. This leads to rushing through the detective aspects of the story, and it pushes nearly all the local color aside so that the story becomes too linear once we're into the suspicion of murder. But this streamlining makes it clear why John Michael Hayes added so much collateral goings-on to the adaptation made in 1954. The 1998 baggage drags it down almost fatally. Still, a story gets told, with a lot of important details shoved aside and unimportant details paraded carefully before us. The way it's told is not as compelling as Hitchcock's version. The additions pretty much sap the life out of it. And except for a moment or two you can get up to use the bathroom or make a snack without missing anything important.

Like I am impressed that the actor playing a man who is "confined" to a wheelchair is actually such a man in real life. Jason Kemp has a toss away line that might explain why Reeve made the film; something about how rigging up that apartment has cost him all his savings. The optimistic agenda of the character totally mirrors Reeve's own optimistic agenda, though, and that makes it difficult to see him as a mere actor playing Kemp. Overall, this is a positive social development, but how many times could Reeve have played such a role? ...So,

Don't Like How much the Christopher Reeve story impinges on this movie. You'd expect this influence, of course. Reeve was making the film to show that even an extreme disability of this kind should not totally stop someone from accomplishing things. The actor had played a person with spinal cord injury in an earlier film, which is easy enough to do if you can stand up and walk away from the chair. But if you cannot move on your own, the type of roles you can play are limited to: persons with spinal cord injury rendering them quadriplegic. Rear Window is a story that accommodates such an actor playing himself.

Don't Like The teleplay reduces everything to stock, pat situations. For example: the story of the couple whose female half goes missing is convoluted beyond recognition. He is Julian Thorpe, a famous sculptural artist, not an apparently out-of-work man as in the short story, or a salesman as in Hitchcock's version. The wife is not afflicted, except with a lust for the bottle, which her husband enables at all turns. He takes on a mistress (same as in the 1954 version), who turns out to be his wife's sister, who resembles her (wuh?). I guess these are great twists for As the World Turns but they don't seem to fit the point of this story.

Don't Like Even the "I See You Watching" moment lacks any chill, and comes at a totally random place in the story. It is tossed in just like any throwaway expositional scene to "set up" something that happens later in the plot. At least Hitchcock and Caruso draw enough attention to the moment so that the audience knows this is significant. When I was watching for this essay, I had to back the film up to make sure I had just seen the sculptor look up right into Jason Kemp's apartment. Yep, I had seen it. But I must have blinked the first time by, and almost missed it. It's given no significance by the film-makers. As a result of their neglect I purposely did not grab a frame of the moment!

Altogether, the television adaptation has an interesting core idea, but in order to make it "interesting" too much is shuffled around. Thank goodness Hitchcock didn't decide to go quite so wild in his additions to the story. I can understand why this story was chosen as a vehicle for a paralyzed actor, but it seems that the creators of the 1998 TV adaptation had no faith in the story itself; either that, or Reeve imposed too much of his own politics on the project and basically made it a fictionalized TV special about how well he was coping with his situation and how hopeful he was about scientific breakthroughs. Sadly, these didn't come during his lifetime. And, sadly, they impinged on an interesting fiction story to the point that it was rendered blaisé by their inclusion. The story that Hitchcock added about the development of a pop song from conception to recording nearly sinks the 1954 movie in terms of providing distractions to the real story. In the 1998 TV remake the side issues concerning the paralyzed protagonist actually do sink the film. A well-done documentary about Christopher Reeve would have been a much better (and more interesting) place to parade those issues, I think, and they could have been sublimated in the fiction film for an overall, better effect.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:00 am

Nouvelles femmes

Lisa Fremont wants to marry L.D. Jefferies, but he's resisting the idea. She doesn't give up on him, but he doesn't give up on saying that he's not ready to marry. His main artillery piece is that his life is too active for her, and she'd either be alone back home or couldn't keep up if she went along on his photography assignments. Ashley Carlson moves in next door to Kaleb Brecht's house, and he cannot leave his yard to meet her, plus he's pushed to the ground and cuffed by the cops on the day her family is moving in. Naturally, she observes this. But he can't resist her, and makes every effort to meet her. Claudia Henderson is an architect who takes over Jason Kemp's role on an architectural project of his devising (while he is recovering from severe injuries in an auto accident that was not his fault). He's miffed that his business partners like her work, on top of being miffed that she's working on the project at all. But in order to get him up to speed on the project after his release from rehab, the two have to work together. And they manage to become friends through it all.

Cornell Woolrich's short story is the dramatic source material for two of these films, but it is not the source material for any of these lady friends. Woolrich has no females in his story aside from a newlywed wife, and Mrs Lars Thorwald, the woman who disappears. Hal Jeffries's manservant, Sam, is the person dispatched to gather information about Thorwald, learning his name and apartment address for Jeffries, and scoping out the joint. So, Lisa, Claudia and Ashley are, as far as the story is concerned, "new" women, devised by the screen adaptors.

In devising the screenplay for the 1954 Hitchcock film, John Michael Hayes invented Lisa, and she takes on many of the actions carried out in the short story by Sam. But she has an additional inspirational capacity that Sam lacks in the story. Despite Jeff's naysaying about marriage, it is clear that he wants to impress his beautiful socialite girlfriend. And the feeling is mutual, so Lisa goes into the Thorwald apartment looking for evidence. She finds it! Her willingness to face danger really ramps up Jeff's feelings for her, and his confidence in her. Not that he lets on much at first.

The 1998 remake owes a debt of gratitude to Hayes for inventing Lisa, although no credit is given to him in the teleplay titles. Claudia takes the same role that Lisa has in Hitchcock's original, right down to going into the suspect's residence looking for clues. Her role is updated to the extent that women's roles in society at large had been updated between 1954 and 1998. Just as Lisa and Jeff finally come together at the end of the 1954 film, the attraction between Jason and Claudia has to come full term in the TV remake. Though Claudia has a romantic purpose in the story, everything is pushed aside in order to focus on Jason's disability in this film, so that her interest in Jason at the end of the movie seems to come from nowhere (dramatically speaking).

The inclusion of a teenage female neighbor in the Disturbia plot is a given. After all, the protagonist is a 17 year old boy. She acts more or less as a colleague in Kale's hobby of spying on neighbors. In fact, she has more relish for the binoculars than Kaleb does at times. Still, she begins as a skeptic in the Turner subplot, failing to spot the most damaging clue that Young Mr Brecht has spotted: Turner's dented auto fender. Still, there is an Ashley moment in Disturbia similar to one in Rear Window (when Lisa Fremont asks Jeff to repeat everything he suspects about Thorwald). Ashley is with Kale in almost every escapade after that, shadowing Mr Turner to a hardware store and giving Donnie time to rifle through Turner's other car while he's gone from home. She comes face to face with Turner in the parking garage, and he lets her know that he knows she's been watching him at the hardware store. Whether he knows about Kale's spying isn't clear at the time. To the audience this is a threatening and suspenseful scene, but the character takes it as meaning less than it does.

In Disturbia the lady that means the most to Kale, and the one he is compelled to rescue, is closer to him than any girlfriend. His mother goes to ask Turner not to press charges against Kale for being on his property and entering an open door of his house. She doesn't return home. He goes after her, having spotted something that looks like a face behind a vent grille in Donnie's escape video. Kaleb knows Mom is in trouble. He defies the ankle bracelet...in fact uses it as the way to alert the police that something is up.

All these women, girlfriends and mom, provide dramatic and comic moments to move the story plot forward in all three filmed versions. It goes without saying that the stories wouldn't be the same without them. The romantic plot is more emphatic in Disturbia than it is in either Rear Window, and in all cases the protagonist gets the girl at the end of the movie for a Compleate Hollywoode Ending.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:27 am

I have to pare down the signature I use! I didn't know there was a 750 character limit until I exceeded it. Not as YTMN, but as Gort. 8-) URLs for links take up a lot of characters. And I'm too lazy to learn how to use tinyurl.com

But I may be forced to do that as this thread moves along.

The Future Unreels
Quite-Gone Genie

Post by Quite-Gone Genie » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:50 pm

YouTookMyName wrote:I have to pare down the signature I use! I didn't know there was a 750 character limit until I exceeded it. Not as YTMN, but as Gort. 8-) URLs for links take up a lot of characters. And I'm too lazy to learn how to use tinyurl.com

But I may be forced to do that as this thread moves along.
On RT you can use a shorthand version of the links, but I'm not sure if it works here. I'll use this post as a test. Instead of viewtopic.php?f=3&t=359 you should be able to use [thread=359]TEST[/thread]

EDIT: Blast.
"So, you see, he was condemned to walk in darkness a quadrillion kilometres (we've adopted the metric system, you know)..."
██████████████████████████████████████████The Devil, The Brothers Karamazov
Birdie Num Nums

Post by Birdie Num Nums » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:58 pm

Looking forward to the Peter Pan entries. I absolutely adore P.J. Hogan's version.
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:29 am

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:EDIT: Blast.

:D

Thanks for trying.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:35 am

Birdie Num Nums wrote:Looking forward to the Peter Pan entries. I absolutely adore P.J. Hogan's version.

Then we should have a lot of agreement going on in a couple months! :up:

I'm working ahead on these Rematches, so I won't get off schedule...and the schedule is so strung out that even extra paying work coming up shouldn't postpone anything. I've downloaded copies of the original Peter Pan novel, the original play, and plan to read those before I start. I've already watched all three films again. Well, one I watched for the first time (1924).

Will I see you again before November 24th? :D

I'm also working ahead on The Fly (*ribbon cheers* and she and Fist make a pyramid). I bought an old book, as you may have noticed from an earlier post, and enjoyed reading the original short story. Plus (bonus) I'm enjoying reading the other 14 stories in the old paperback volume with Langelaan's story.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:55 pm

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:On RT you can use a shorthand version of the links, but I'm not sure if it works here. I'll use this post as a test. Instead of viewtopic.php?f=3&t=359 you should be able to use [thread=359]TEST[/thread]

EDIT: Blast.

The way your post displayed gave me an idea to try. It might work within the forum. I'm abbreviating the URL, eliminating the common part. Prolly won't work, but we'll see. I have "EDIT: Blast" ready just in case. I also have "EDIT: YAY!" ready to go.

Here's the signature with regular URL entries:
YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Rematches with recent posts (~2wks) show in red. Most recent posts made 11 Sep 2012.
Schedule for upcoming Remake Rematches.

In Progress Round Two Rematches:
Rear Window - Disturbia. Find it. Editor. Director. Rear Window 1954. Director of Photography. Disturbia 2007. Confinement essay. 3rd Version essay. Lady Friends essay.

Complete Round One Rematches:
The Maltese Falcon. The Day the Earth Stood Still. Dorian Gray.
Nosferatu. Planet of the Apes. 3:10 to Yuma Weematch.
Romeo and Juliet. The Time Machine. Lord of the Flies.

Now Live!: trxbooks.com

Here's the sig with the abbrev entrs (basically eliminating the http://corrierino.com/forum/ text from each URL):
[url=viewtopic.php?p=582124#p582124]YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.[/url]
Rematches with recent posts (~2wks) show in red. Most recent posts made 11 Sep 2012.
[url=viewtopic.php?p=970977#p970977]Schedule for upcoming Remake Rematches[/url].

[url=viewtopic.php?p=969642#p969642]Rear Window - Disturbia[/url]. Find it. Editor. Director. Rear Window 1954. Director of Photography. Disturbia 2007. Confinement essay. [url=viewtopic.php?p=976870#p976870]3rd Version essay.[/url] [url=viewtopic.php?p=978282#p978282]Lady Friends essay.[/url]

[url=viewtopic.php?p=582228#p582228]The Maltese Falcon[/url]. [url=viewtopic.php?p=582238#p582238]The Day the Earth Stood Still[/url]. [url=viewtopic.php?p=589214#p589214]Dorian Gray[/url].
[url=viewtopic.php?p=582244#p582244]Nosferatu[/url]. [url=viewtopic.php?p=582222#p582222]Planet of the Apes[/url]. [url=viewtopic.php?p=924726#p924726]3:10 to Yuma Weematch[/url].
[url=viewtopic.php?p=582186#p582186]Romeo and Juliet[/url]. [url=viewtopic.php?p=582181#p582181]The Time Machine[/url]. [url=viewtopic.php?p=582185#p582185]Lord of the Flies[/url].

"EDIT: Blast" 8-)

EDIT EDIT: I got the idea because when you posted "http://corrierino.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=359" Windows Safari displays only "viewtopic.php?f=3&t=359" as the link. There aren't any URL tags around your link. I will go look at the post in Firefox to see if there's a difference. Anyway, the abbrev urls don't work. tinyurl may be my only hope. Either that, or eliminating direct links to the completed Rematches.

The Future Unreels
Quite-Gone Genie

Post by Quite-Gone Genie » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:13 pm

Maybe we can get Epistemophobia or Jedi to allow the thread tags.
"So, you see, he was condemned to walk in darkness a quadrillion kilometres (we've adopted the metric system, you know)..."
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:25 pm

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:Maybe we can get Epistemophobia or Jedi to allow the thread tags.

TinyURL doesn't take as much time to use as I had feared.

I converted all my original URLs for completed initial posts to tinyURLs, and here's my test. Each link tested fine at their site.

TinyURL version of Gort/YTMN signature:

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Schedule for upcoming Remake Rematches.

Rear Window - Disturbia. Find it. Editor. Director. Rear Window 1954. Director of Photography. Disturbia 2007. Confinement essay. 3rd Version essay. Lady Friends essay.

The Maltese Falcon. The Day the Earth Stood Still. Dorian Gray.
Nosferatu. Planet of the Apes. 3:10 to Yuma Weematch.
Romeo and Juliet. The Time Machine. Lord of the Flies.

*Gort crosses fingers*

EDIT: It all checks out. The reduced URLs save 352 characters for the 11 that I converted...which gives me room to use a few more links for current essays and the like. But I wouldn't be able to have a full set of signature links for a current Rematch unless I converted all the individual post URLs to tinies. Which seems like a waste. But this solves the problem for now. :heart:

Each TinyURL is 26 characters. I'll go count how long the entry for the post tags is.

The Future Unreels
Quite-Gone Genie

Post by Quite-Gone Genie » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:27 pm

It works!
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:33 pm

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:It works!

True, it does. And the thread tag that you posted is 25 characters, so it may not save any characters, and no one has to grovel before the big guys to get them to implement anything new. :D

The only disadvantage I see is that if the server containing TinyURL.com goes down, no one can link from my signatures to the Rematch IPs. That doesn't seem like a terrible thing. It would be short-term.

Jedi's been using TinyURL for years.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:42 pm

And now, I wonder what this preview thing does.

The Maltese Falcon

EDIT: Well, that requires me to enable cookies and stuff, and it redirects to the TinyURL.com website right now. So that doesn't seem worth it, either. Plus, it adds 8 characters back to each link!

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:24 am

Salvation

What has to happen to a Peeping Tom in a movie if he discovers something bad about a person he has been watching? He has to be threatened by that observed person, right? That's dramatic parity, and the notion of story almost demands it. Conflict has to arise between the watcher and the watched.

In Rear Window Lars Thorwald comes to Jeff Jefferies's apartment for a showdown. In Disturbia Kale goes into the lair of Mr Turner's house in order to rescue someone. One is confronted, while the other is drawn (at first, and then later literally dragged) into danger. Although it seems like a rather large dramatic difference, it leads to the same necessity: the watcher, once entrapped, will either escape or will die.

Remember that in both cases, the person watched and then suspected, is guilty of what the watcher suspects, so he behaves in much the same way that a caged animal might. He wants to retain his liberty, but is beyond the point of rational decision-making. This leads him into taking steps that don't really seem wise to us as we view the goings-on.

Frankly, the way Jeff taunts Thorwald in Rear Window suggests that he thinks he's perfectly safe from the suspect; that Thorwald cannot possibly learn who he is. And the look on Stewart's face as he plays a man who has just realized that his adversary is every bit as clever as he is...that's wonderful stuff. From that moment on you know he's going to wind up in the mouth of the beast, so to speak, and will need rescue. With that clunky cast on his leg he won't be able to rescue himself.

Kale's situation is slightly different. He is drawn into the mouth of the beast by an action of his adversary. Turner is slick, and friendly, and he is able to disarm the instinctive warnings of women. Kale's mother more or less befriends Turner, and then winds up becoming his victim. Naturally, Kale goes into the mouth of danger in order to rescue her, or to retrieve her body, as it may be. In the process he becomes a victim, too, and has to get out.

Jason Kemp in the 1998 television film is in the same situation, given that the film is based on the same story as Hitchcock's film. His motor disability places him in certainly greater danger than either Jeff or Kale might face. At least they can fight back. All Jason can do is gasp for air and hope that someone will arrive in time. The killer doesn't even have to do anything more gruesome than to slit the air hose that supplies Kemp with a constant stream of oxygen. Kemp cannot fight back on his own. Thus the killer has an easy time of dispatching his watcher...as long as no one shows up to challenge him.

In each movie the protagonist becomes embroiled in a situation that is beyond his control, so that he has to experience salvation or great harm, possibly death. In all cases salvation arrives just in time:
"It Had to Be Murder": Hal Jeffries is attacked with a gun, but after failing to kill him, Lars Thorwald jumps out the bay window of Jeffries's house and runs back across the courtyard to his own apartment building, where he climbs to a fifth floor apartment (his flat has cops inside and they are shooting at him). He fires across at Detective Boyne who has come into Jeffries's apartment, but Thorwald is a lousy shot. Boyne shoots the killer, and he falls to his death. -- Rear Window 1954: two policemen run beneath Jeff Jefferies as he falls out his apartment window during a life and death struggle with Thorwald, thereby cushioning his fall so that he suffers another broken leg, but he survives. Thorwald is arrested. -- Rear Window 1998: Jason Kemp is gasping for air when Antonio comes into the room and attempts to subdue the sculptor, Julian Thorpe. But the sculptor gets the better of him and has him pinned to the floor as Detective Moore enters and places the barrel of a gun next to the killer's head. Antonio tapes off the slit in Kemp's pulmotor line, and he resumes normal breathing. The murderer is arrested. -- Disturbia: Kaleb goes into Turner's house to seek his mother. A policeman comes in but is killed by Turner. Kale finds his mother gagged and strung up. When he cuts her down Turner catches her. He prepares to kill Kale, but Mrs Brecht stabs him in the back, becoming the savior. Kale stabs him in the abdomen with the hedge clippers he used to cut his mom's bonds. Turner falls into a water pit where he has stored some corpses. The Brechts come out through the garage, and Kale gets his ankle bracelet removed early for "good behavior" as the attendant calls it.

Alfred Hitchcock often plays on one of our human instincts: to want no harm to befall another person, when he structures his screenplays. He often even attempts to make the audience feel sorry for the villain. This works a bit in his version of Rear Window. But by 1998 the TV scriptwriters wanted us to have zero sympathy for the murderer. The film even has a social message.

That message thing came into vogue in the late 1960s when the prevailing social idea that no one should be deadwood was somehow extrapolated to films.
No film should merely exist. Entertainment alone was not a high enough purpose. A film should say something about humanity, about society. The philosophy of Charles Dickens managed to become fastened into cinema for a few years. Nowadays it is once more okay to make a film for the purpose of entertainment alone. At the same time, we have a couple of generations of Americans who expect some statement from at least some of the films they watch. If you read critics, who are largely from the generation that wanted messages in the 70s, many of them still decry films without any "meat."

Disturbia is a modern-style film: able to entertain, and able to have small doses of message. But you won't find the message unless you dig for it. Also, no sympathy for Turner is allowed. Whenever we think we should treat him as a person, he glares at someone in a way that shows him to be a villain of massive proportions.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:50 am

Remake, Rip-off or Just Similar Ideas?

The courts decided that Disturbia did not steal the plot from the source story for Rear Window. But you can see that there are a lot of parallels running through the stories. In the Disturbia review I pointed out what the major parallels are. Basically, even though there are sub-plots that differ greatly between the films, there are still conditions and plot ideas that occur in both those films, and the 1998 remake of Rear Window that is based on the Cornell Woorich short story, according to the credits. Remember, the judge decided that the 2007 film is not derived from the Woolrich story; the court was not asked to decide how similar Disturbia is to the film Rear Window. To discuss parallels opens the option to discuss differences as well.

To begin with, on a slightly humorous note, Jeff and Kale look out the window a lot and fall asleep in their chairs while they do.

All three can have visitors, and there are people who drop in regularly. Kemp has to have constant medical attention, so there is always a nurse on hand, although he/she is located on another floor of his building. He has a business colleague with whom he is working, and she comes to work on his floor every day. Jefferies has a girlfriend who drops by, and a nurse assigned by the insurance company to tend to him during his confinement.

All three have ways of magnifying their vision of the world outside their restricted spaces. All three share their suspicions of a neighbor with their intermittent companions, and convince at least one other that the person they suspect is guilty of something.

Two of them are told by policemen that they are wrong about the suspect. Jeffries/Jefferies knows a police detective, and confides his suspicions to him. Jefferies also tells his nurse, Stella, and his girlfriend about his suspicions about Thorwald. The women are at first skeptical, but eventually become convinced, whereas the detective doesn't believe until the climax of the story. Kemp likewise has trouble convincing those around him that he has made a correct deduction from the evidence he's gathered, but persuades his nurse, Antonio, and his co-worker, Claudia. At least Detective Charlie Moore does eventually come around (in just the nick of time) to believing what Kemp has to say. In Disturbia Kaleb really doesn't ever take his suspicions to the police. But he exceeds his allowed distance from the base station when trying to rescue his friend Ronnie from Turner's garage, so the cops arrive. At that time he tells the police officers what he's figured out about Turner, but he is ignored. One officer returns later, when Kale's perimeter is violated again at the hands of Turner. He never gets a chance to see that the boy's deductions were correct.

A major difference between the Woolrich short story, "It Had to be Murder" and Disturbia is that all of Hal Jeffries's (L.D. Jefferies in the 1954 film) information comes to him de novo. It is his observation. What he sees makes him feel suspicious of Lars Thorwald, even before he knows the man's name. Kaleb Brecht becomes aware of a missing woman from a television news story, and later from the morning newspaper, and happens to notice that certain aspects of the news story seem to coincide with certain things about his neighbor, Mr Turner. So, Kale's suspicion is stimulated initially by news that comes from someone else. In the two films based on the Woolrich story the main character makes his own observations and draws conclusions from them.

Both parallels and differences come into play if we look at the isolation imposed on the three characters, and its cause in each case. Kaleb Brecht doesn't have anything broken other than his general spirit, so he can be up and around, running from window to window to carry out his hobby of watching "reality TV without the TV." He can even venture on his own out of doors as long as he stays within 100 feet of the base station that monitors his ankle bracelet. By the way, the string fence he sets up in the film serves as a way for the audience to know when the boy is flirting with another visit from the police. This may be a more important cinematic function than the usefulness it has for the character, within the world of the story.

Jeff has a broken leg, but lives in what he calls a 2-room apartment, and has little reason to roam about, with little room to do it if he could. As with his counterpart in the short story, Jeff is immobilized because of a broken leg, suffered in his case while on a photography assignment for the magazine where he works.

Jason Kemp is immobilized because he has suffered a massive spinal cord injury in a car wreck, and this has left him paralyzed below the neck. All three are confined for the most part, and two of them have little to do but look out the windows at the world they cannot join. Kemp is not restricted in that way. He has an elevator that serves the floors of his apartment and the offices downstairs. He can come and go as he pleases.

Kaleb is the most restricted, because he is serving an incarceration sentence handed down by a judge. In one sense, Kemp is the least restricted, because he is free to travel anywhere he wants, and has the infrastructure to do so, although he needs assistants in order to actually go. Jeff Jefferies is in the middle, with temporary confinement due to a broken leg. Apparently, no one is willing to carry him and his heavy plaster cast down the stairs. Note: both plaster casts and snug ankle monitors are quite itchy to wear; apparently.

In the short story and Hitchcock's movie, the story takes place about a week before Jeffries/Jefferies is supposed to have the cast cut off his healed leg. Why Hal Jeffries is immobile isn't revealed until the end of the short story, but that kind of coy presentation is not possible in a movie. Kale is under house arrest for three months, most of which is across the school system's summer vacation. We aren't given any clues about how long into his incarceration the incidents occur. But we know he gets sprung early, after Turner is apprehended due to his efforts. Jason Kemp is probably confined for the rest of his life, and we aren't given any clues (that I caught) about how long the story takes to unfold.

Lisa Fremont in Rear Window, Claudia Henderson in the TV remake, Sam in the original short story, and both Ashley and Ronnie in Disturbia become the main character's eyes, ears and feet, and invade the domicile of the suspected party. In the movies, each of them is caught or nearly caught, creating a sense of danger for the viewers.

The similarities between Disturbia and the 1954 film haven't been challenged in court. But they are too large to have been total accident. Many of the incidents that take place in the 2007 film are in no other version, and the order of incidents in the plot is slightly different. But the core ideas are the same, as I wrote in the Disturbia review. Fortunately, the screenwriters and director of the 2007 film do no disservice to the original story, or the Hitchcock film. Instead, they use similar ingredients and develop a pretty nice little teen thriller with a similar basic set-up.

Disturbia is not a remake (the 1998 is technically that). It is not really a rip-off (you cannot protect the basic ideas of a story, so someone has to steal more than that to be guilty of an intellectual crime -- and What Lies Beneath has a man watching his neighbors in much the same way). Disturbia is simply massively similar to Rear Window. Inspired by? No doubt. A shameless copycat movie? Not at all. Good to watch? At least once, you bet. I find new little treasures in the characterizations each time I roll through it for this Rematch.

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:10 am

The Future Unreels
YouTookMyName

Post by YouTookMyName » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:07 pm

The Windows Safari webarchive file for page 21 is already up to 23.2MB in size.

Also, the "photo" of shelf boxes on a lovely mahogany wood shelf above this post is really an amalgam of flatbed scans and hi-res wood-grain scans. The box spines were scanned at my place. The wood was found on the internet. Putting it together in Photoshop 7.01 (yep, haven't been able to afford upgrades for many years, now) was great fun.

And, now, maybe we're to thread page 22? :-/

EDIT: Nope.

The Future Unreels