The Video Game Thread

Discuss anything you want.
Ace

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by Ace » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:58 am

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order is fun. I'm liking the Metroidvania aspect of it. But the combat just hasn't clicked with me. Maybe it's because I haven't gotten all the force abilities yet.
Co host of the Film Raiders Podcast.
Were on Spotify, Itunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher, TuneIn, Blubrr,Iheartradio and many more.
Deschain13

Post by Deschain13 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:24 pm

Ace wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:58 am
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order is fun. I'm liking the Metroidvania aspect of it. But the combat just hasn't clicked with me. Maybe it's because I haven't gotten all the force abilities yet.
I’m loving it too but having a hard time with the combat as well, especially parry. The force powers definitely make things easier.

BD-1 might be my favorite droid in all of Star Wats.
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:33 pm

Is it just me or did Playdead's LIMBO and INSIDE not age particularly well? I replayed INSIDE last night, and I'm starting to feel like I gave the games too much credit.
Stu

Post by Stu » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:59 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:33 pm
Is it just me or did Playdead's LIMBO and INSIDE not age particularly well? I replayed INSIDE last night, and I'm starting to feel like I gave the games too much credit.
I've never played either one, but I have watched other people play them on Youtube before, and I remember both of them being incredibly beautiful visually, and the various gameplay mechanics seemed unique, inventive, and constantly refreshing to witness, so out of curiosity, how didn't they age well?
Popcorn Reviews

Post by Popcorn Reviews » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:44 pm

Stu wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:59 am
I've never played either one, but I have watched other people play them on Youtube before, and I remember both of them being incredibly beautiful visually, and the various gameplay mechanics seemed unique, inventive, and constantly refreshing to witness, so out of curiosity, how didn't they age well?
The issue I have with both of these games is that they lack cohesion. With LIMBO, it starts out well as the spider and the tribal kids suggest possible meanings such as a Lord of the Flies-esque environment. After that though, the game quickly devolves into a random assortment of physics and logic based puzzles which not only say nothing about the story, but add nothing to it. With INSIDE, I think it's a better game as it has more of a story behind it, but, other than some sections of running away from adults and dogs which make sense to be in the game, I found it unbelievable that a large assortment of logic and physics based puzzles involving tasks such as pushing boxes and pulling switches happened to be conveniently placed around the environment. One of the things I look for in puzzle games are whether or not the puzzles feel organic to the game. In Portal/Portal 2, they do. With LIMBO and INSIDE though, it's like... Well, we have a storyline and a creepy atmosphere. Yeah, but we also need gameplay. No problem, let's just fill it with logic and physics based puzzles. It just feels off.
Stu

Post by Stu » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:43 am

Wooley

Post by Wooley » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:40 am

Well, almost finished The Outer Worlds, kinda too late to quit now, but it is, officially, just a lesser version of multiple other popular games.
Lesser Mass Effect, Lesser Fallout, Lesser Borderlands (a little), but most importantly, just Lesser.
Torgo

Post by Torgo » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:41 pm

Subnautica is a very enjoyable survival game. It isn't always clear where you're supposed to go or what you're supposed to do next a lot of the time and the hunt for specific materials is more frustrating than it should be, but when the going is good in both regards, it's as compelling and addictive as any survival and/or RPG I've ever played.

However, I quit playing because my save file got corrupted, which seems to be a typical problem. When this happens, you lose a lot of your crafting blueprints - ones needed to advance in the game, no less - so I'm pretty much at a standstill. While it sucks that this happened, thank goodness it only happened a few hours in instead of 200+ hours in.
Last Great Movie Seen
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (Mitchell, 2001)
Bandy Greensacks

Post by Bandy Greensacks » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:54 am

Wooley wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:40 am
Well, almost finished The Outer Worlds, kinda too late to quit now, but it is, officially, just a lesser version of multiple other popular games.
Lesser Mass Effect, Lesser Fallout, Lesser Borderlands (a little), but most importantly, just Lesser.
It's definitely a lesser Fallout: New Vegas, Fallout or Fallout 2, but I have a hard time calling it a lesser Fallout 3 or 4, as Obsidian's writing and quest design is just so much better than Bethesda's.
Wooley

Post by Wooley » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:36 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:54 am
It's definitely a lesser Fallout: New Vegas, Fallout or Fallout 2, but I have a hard time calling it a lesser Fallout 3 or 4, as Obsidian's writing and quest design is just so much better than Bethesda's.
Honestly, one of the many things that surprised me about this game was how poorly developed every character but Parvati was and how poor the story was. I mean, I continue to be baffled by almost any bon mots for this game. I didn't think the design, the gameplay, or the story and characters were in the same league, remotely, as Mass Effect 2 or 3, which it was clearly aping hard, and I can definitely say that Fallout 3 is 10x better than this game and Fallout 4 is probably 4x. I mean, what were the good quests in this game? I don't feel like there was a memorable one after getting Parvati a girlfriend. I kept waiting to care about anything in this game other than the one standout character. And when it finally ended I was like, "Wow. You guys really didn't plan this out very well did you?"
Stu

Post by Stu » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:34 pm